Sign in to follow this  
N city till I die

Life of a Plastic fan

http://ninianblog.com/2012/03/06/the-life-of-a-plastic-football-fan/Andrew Lloyd Mallett says:

As a kid in the late 70s my Dad took me to City matches, but like

so many others one supported a big team as well. In those days, other

than Division 1, football was rarely televised, and even then it was

snippits on MOTD, hence all that most kids saw was the top division.

I started following Man Utd as most kids were supporting Liverpool as

they always won the League – I followed Man U, ironically cos’ they

were always the bridesmaid.

Throughout the late 80s I tended to follow Cardiff Rugby as football

was mainly supported by the working-classes and had a thuggish element,

and having had a middle-class upbringing I don’t think going to the City

was my father’s ‘cup-of-tea’.

The 90s saw a desperate period for the City, and whilst I followed

their results, I had no willingness to spend money to watch. After all,

would I watch Les Miserables if Jean Valjean was being played by

someone who couldn’t sing, or by an amateur production ? No I wouldn’t.

I continued my following of Man Utd that turned into an affection –

why ? – possibly because of the sympathy of Munich, possibly the

admiration of Law, Charlton, Best, then Cantona, Keane SAF etc – there

is a romanticism to Man U that is not with most clubs.

I did have a season ticket for 4 yrs, but due to work and family

commitments it was a drag. I now have Premier tickets at the City.

I may be a plastic – I don’t know, I don’t care – if City were

playing in the bottom division, would I attend a match – probably not.

In my book that is more brainless – why would I have devotion to

something that I perceive to be done badly ? If my boys were playing

then that is a different matter.

Football clubs need thier plastics as much as they need their

nutters. The nutters are a pain sometimes, they can be neanderthal,

they can be ‘rough’, but they are always there. Plus they are the ones

that create the atmosphere. However, I wonder if booze and ‘scraps’ and

gang culture had been removed from football, would they still have gone

– I’m guessing the ‘craic’ was as much an attraction as the football.

Without plastics clubs would have small crowds, no money, no TV following, unattractive and stadia would be back to the 1950s.

Nobody’s support should be worth more than anyone elses – we all have

different priorities in life, some have familes, some don’t – some have

business commitments, others don’t. Clubs need all our following –

whether from an armchair, or at the match, whether you sing, or prefer

to watch in silence, whether you prefer to watch with a belly of beer,

or a belly full of prawn sarnies – we are all needed and all should be

welcomed.

Surely the important thing is that we want to watch this beautiful

game of ours, not be put off by allegiances based on geographical

location.

This guy is an absolute joke not following his team through thick and fin, Its infuriating  He is a definition of a plastic fan, what does everyone think?

Also I don'' think you can be a plastic fan supporting Norwich as Ive heard fans call other Norwich fans, because they have never had any major success in their entire history. Were not a Man United,Chelsea, Man City are we.

Yes but when his team are doing well and winning things we don''t need idiots like him shouting about it, he should keep quiet. I don''t think I''m better than any other fan, why do you think that?

What is it to you?

From this point on, I will view anyone complaining about "plastic" fans as them trying to convince themselves they aren''t shoddy. Getting real tired of this discussion.

Norwich isn''t f*cking exclusive anymore, if you want that go travel in time back to The Nest you cretins.

Nobodys complaining about Norwich plastics stig, there complaining about plastics who were born and raised in Norwich but support other teams.

I can understand why thats so annoying.

Wings is right. He is a blue/red.

I am more annoyed at his middle class snobbery rather than his plasticity. But not that annoyed.

"He is a blue/red. "

A joke about his allegiance to Manchester United and/or Manchester city or his birthplace of Cardiff?

[quote user="Herman "]Wings is right. He is a blue/red. I am more annoyed at his middle class snobbery rather than his plasticity. But not that annoyed.[/quote]

What''s wrong with middle class snobbery? It drives the growth of nations.

However, I can assure you that in those days one was just as likely to have had  piss running past one on the terrace (or flying overhead) at Ninian Park as at Cardiff Arms Park! I found both to be rather unpleasant places.

[C]

OTBC

That sounds like the majority of stadiums at the time. Crumbling concrete and rivers of piss. Although as a youngster i stood mostly on a fishing stool or box to see. Helped me see and kept my feet dry,but not the best idea in a surge.

The good old days?

Ah yes, "plastics".I gave up my season ticket in 2010/11 because my son was born.  I work long hours and thought that when I looked back on my life, I would regret not spending time with my son at weekends more than I would regret not going to a few football matches.  So now I bludge the odd ticket where I can, and follow the club via pubs and "streams".In many people''s eyes, I''m sure that makes me a plastic fan - in some people''s eyes, it probably makes me a bed wetting, Coldplay-listening, limp wristed excuse for a real man.  The thing is, I don''t give a sh*t.  I think I have support of my football team in perspective and proportionate to everything else going on in my life.  I have no small amount of admiration for people who get up at 4am to go to away games, but that''s their business and if they''ve arranged their lives in a way that makes this possible then good for them.  I do not however envy them.It does also mean I have missed our promotion to the Prem and the fun and games of the past season and a half, so my only regret would be not meeting my wife three years earlier as I would have missed Grant/Roeder/Gunn and got all the good stuff.  But changing nappies and reading "The Gruffalo" for the 9,018th time before falling asleep in front of Match of the Day is where it''s at here in Chopsville.  And posting 1,000 times on here per week, obviously.And I hate Coldplay.

[quote user="paul moy"]Those born within a few miles of their beloved club are the true fans. [:P]  [/quote]So I''m not, being born in London growing up in Hertfordshire and now living in London, My gran dad and dad both born and raised in Norwich? I have gone to games and followed Norwich ever since I can remember.

Good for you, Chops!

I suppose you''ve looked into the possibility of blooding your progeny at Posh by securing a "babe-in-arms ticket" (category F)? I believe there was a well-considered thread apropos of this just last week.

Blooding might indeed be the operative word on the Posh terraces.

Still, I dare say you could make it back in time for a final Gruffalo and MOTD. Though we''d be on last, of course.

This whole true fan thing is a complete plastic red herring and I cant believe I have risen to replying it.

But idol curiousity made me check my birth distance and with an umbilical cord at just 1.5m clearly the true fan rule is right after all [:O] 

[quote user="Lets be aving you"]

I suppose you''ve looked into the possibility of blooding your progeny at Posh by securing a "babe-in-arms ticket" (category F)? I believe there was a well-considered thread apropos of this just last week.

[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D]