Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Come on, Wes...

....score a few goals.

Wes has helped to create several goals, but as a forward player he has not chipped in many goals in the Premiership this season. In fact, has he scored any, and we are not far from halfway through the season?

Readers will say it''s not his job to score, he''s a supplier. Indeed, he is, but he has been the tip of the diamond before and always scored goals. The trouble is that Holt is also mostly a supplier, so who''s to convert them?

Wes is a lynch pin on our side, but so are 10 others, and most of them have scored at least once. So perhaps Wes should do some practice and chip in from his forward position. Our goal scoring record is not good, despite last Saturday.

Agreed, it would be good if he scored one or two.   However, the way the team is set up, it is goals from all over the pitch we need.   It has been good that Pilks and Snoddy have started to chip in, as well as Turner, Whittaker and Bassong.    The way we need to play - with only one striker - the onus is on everyone to chip in.     Wes - at his best - is a creator - let him carry on creating - as long as others are scoring.  

If Wes had a killer shot or a classy finish. He would be a top prem player imo. He gets in to the right positions and create great plays, amazing with the ball at his feet and can get around players like they aren''t even there. But his shooting leaves something to desire.

This is in no way an anti-Wes comment. I am among the many who thinks losing him could cost us many points. But to expect much more than 3-4 prem goals from him a season is setting yourself up to be disappointed

It''s always been my main problem with Wes. He provides so much to the team, and is fundamental to the attacking phase, however, playing in the number 10 role, you would expect around 8-10 goals a season.

As Norwich progress, and if we continue to play a 4-2-3-1...Ultimately you need the 4 Attacking

players to all chip in.

Few games ago, you could label the 3 midfielders (Pilks, Snoddy, and Wes) as collectively struggling in the goal department. On the positive note Pilks and Snoddy have started to score. So hopefully, they can cover Wes on the goal department, allowing him to run the midfield.

As I have mentioned on the other thread about Wes, I would certainly rather see him in the side. BUT, I agree, he should chip in with some goals....I''d be very happy with 4 or 5 in a season to be honest plus an improved assist tally too, as at this level that should be the expectation and I actually get a feeling he will improve in both areas,  

I think you can''t just look at assists and goals. It the way he knits the play together. He also holds the ball really well up giving us a chance to get up the pitch. I know it sounds odd saying that about someone who is 5 ft 5 but he is so good at receiving the ball under pressure and working his way out of tight situations.

He doesn''t get the goals someone with his talent probably should. But in reality if he did at this level then it would mean is he is pretty similar to Rafael Van Der Vaart who has about 103 caps for Holland

Assist and a goal (with his head to boot!).....everybody happy now?? Deserves that new contract top player!

If games finish as current live scores Wes has just shot us to 7th in the table.

[quote user="Monty13"]Assist and a goal (with his head to boot!).....everybody happy now?? Deserves that new contract top player![/quote]

Can see the headlines now - "Pilkington puts in a low cross and Hoolahan jumps to head in"  [:D]