Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Hmmm...Lawro again!

Looks like Lawro is back to form - putting Wigan down for a 2-1 win on Sat. Apparently being beaten midweek might have ''unhinged'' some of our players.

I guess it gives us a good reason to win, prove him and that muppet from Talkshite wrong.

Not sure how to do a ''proper'' link on my ipad but it is here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20715607 - None of the other predictions seem to be too mad.

It''s certainly not cut and dried that we''ll win (Wigan are one of those annoying sides that are definitely capable of putting up good performances), but it does seem odd to dismiss our recent form and not mention our missing players from the Vanilla game....

Ha! So the league according to Lawro has NCFC 2nd from bottom, but also Everton 2nd, QPR! Sunderland and Newcastle all in 2nd place!

Hopefully Holty and Co will print that out and stick on the dressing room wall on Saturday!

all them scores have a chance, i think a he could be close to that score, but 2-2 big holty is due his christmas run.

Earlier in the season my expectation was that Wigan would represent our first win of the season.

Clearly, we have performed somewhat better than this and are hanging on my our fingertips. We have in the event outperformed my prediction.

However, I think Wigan will win 3-1 tomorrow. We''ve ridden our luck against Sunderland and Swansea over the last two games and the reliance on essentially the same 11 is leading to player fatigue in my opinion.

I''m minded to think Reading and QPR will go down with the last relegation place being contested between ourselves and Wigan.

Invest in a new striker and this *may help to secure another PL season.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Earlier in the season my expectation was that Wigan would represent our first win of the season.

Clearly, we have performed somewhat better than this and are hanging on my our fingertips. We have in the event outperformed my prediction.

However, I think Wigan will win 3-1 tomorrow. We''ve ridden our luck against Sunderland and Swansea over the last two games and the reliance on essentially the same 11 is leading to player fatigue in my opinion.

I''m minded to think Reading and QPR will go down with the last relegation place being contested between ourselves and Wigan.

Invest in a new striker and this *may help to secure another PL season.[/quote]

If you truly believe that then Ladbrookes odds of 17-2 for City to be relegated should appeal to you. However the true odds are about 75-1 so in reality very little chance of relegation in actuality.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that we could lose 2-1? I know you all love to play the victim on here and harp on about this anti-Norwich media bias but you really should stop being so sensitive. Lawro, and the rest of the tits on MOTD, consistently show that they know next to nothing about modern football so why get so upset. There is plenty of decent analysis available on the internet and some of it is even complimentary to Norwich so why not focus on that instead.

For some reason we have struggled against Wigan and last season they could easily have nicked it. Although we are generally a bit stronger this season I agree with others that there are signs of some fatigue which is making things difficult in the latter stages of games and to an outside we are nicking games narrowly rather  than being truly convincing. Thus I can see why there are some sceptics out there. We should not have been hanging on against S''land and Swansea and could have been out of sight against Villa before their late flurry.

Having said that I hope that the 4-1 reverse has reiterated to Hughton that the team is nowhere near a finished project and we need to continue to work hard and concentrate, especially in defence and the defensive midfield positions.

I''ll go for a 2-1 but with some nervy moments and we''ll need Bunn to start showing more confidence with balls into the box.

Last season we were fairly evenly matched. That said, Wigan have weakened, and we have strengthened so therefore I expect a result that betters the one from last year.

Our record is one 2-0 win and 3 1-1 drawers,  suggesting the games are close.

A 2-1 defeat is possible although I would be disappointed with that.   

I really dont care what any of the pundits predict,  but if other managers want to underestimate us then great - all we can do is turn up focused and perform.

With Tettey, Turner and Wes back I am hopeful of a 2-0 win.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Earlier in the season my expectation was that Wigan would represent our first win of the season. Clearly, we have performed somewhat better than this and are hanging on my our fingertips. We have in the event outperformed my prediction. However, I think Wigan will win 3-1 tomorrow. We''ve ridden our luck against Sunderland and Swansea over the last two games and the reliance on essentially the same 11 is leading to player fatigue in my opinion. I''m minded to think Reading and QPR will go down with the last relegation place being contested between ourselves and Wigan. Invest in a new striker and this *may help to secure another PL season.[/quote]

Totally agree with this. All our wins have been jammy, being 3-0 up away at Swansea at half-time set alarm bells ringing and I''m surprised we kept them down to 3 and only that lucky free kick (wasn''t a foul, Holt impeded the wall) dragged us over the line.

Tuesday was far more like our real level (the last 10 minutes anyway) and the players clearly didn''t care, I expect that the battering we took will be the catalyst for our league form to get back to normal with us shipping 4 or 5 most weeks.

I don''t agree, even in the slightest.

The last time I looked at the Table there were 8 teams below us with another 2 on a par.

No team that goes eight games unbeaten in the Premiership can have their prospects viewed with such pessimism surely?

This will be a tough game. Don''t know why people write Wigan all the time. They stay up by winning these type of games. They haven''t been relegated yet since being in the prem so they''re doing something right.

Although I''m going for 1-1

No game is guaranteed, but in form and playing at home, City must be favourites. Wigan''s away form is dismal. Yes they can win, but it''s not probable, IMO. My prediction would be 2-1 to City.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Earlier in the season my expectation was that Wigan would represent our first win of the season. Clearly, we have performed somewhat better than this and are hanging on my our fingertips. We have in the event outperformed my prediction. However, I think Wigan will win 3-1 tomorrow. We''ve ridden our luck against Sunderland and Swansea over the last two games and the reliance on essentially the same 11 is leading to player fatigue in my opinion. I''m minded to think Reading and QPR will go down with the last relegation place being contested between ourselves and Wigan. Invest in a new striker and this *may help to secure another PL season.[/quote]

Totally agree with this. All our wins have been jammy, being 3-0 up away at Swansea at half-time set alarm bells ringing and I''m surprised we kept them down to 3 and only that lucky free kick (wasn''t a foul, Holt impeded the wall) dragged us over the line.

Tuesday was far more like our real level (the last 10 minutes anyway) and the players clearly didn''t care, I expect that the battering we took will be the catalyst for our league form to get back to normal with us shipping 4 or 5 most weeks.

[/quote]

I don''t think most posters get irony,DE.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]

[/quote]Good post.It''s also worth remembering that Arsenal and Man Utd didn''t ever really turn up and we were lucky to get them on off-days or we''d have lost both of those games.  Swansea only turned up at half-time, Spurs got complacent, Liverpool eased off after their fourth goal, Everton couldn''t be bothered second half and Aston Villa were harshly down to ten men or we''d have lost that one too.If football was based on a fairer scoring system, like boxing, then we''d also have lost against Sunderland and Reading and drawn with Stoke.  That would leave us with about one point, which is roughly where I think we are in reality.Sooner or later the scales will fall from people''s eyes and they will see the truth of our squad and our mickey mouse board.

As much as I dislike Lawrenson, and this dates back to his Brighton days, I fear he might be right.

I think with this game supporters are confusing should win with MUST win. The league is still very tight and there are a lot of games coming up where we should anticipate very little return; the last thing we need is to start the slump tomorrow.

There are two really poor sides in this league but THREE teams go down and that last place is right up for grabs.

At least tomorrow we will revert to a tight shape and Hughton has spoken about getting back to the basics. We will have at least three rested players coming back and the others have had since tuesday and not wednesday to recover.  I expect to see Turner re-united with Bassong as I wonder how Hughton could rate Barney over centre halves he didnt include in his squad? I don''t anticipate seeing Whittaker, sadly but Russ and Garrido should do fine.

In midfield Tettey and BJ with Snoddy on the left and Benno on the right would be pleasing as Pilks needs a rest IMO. Wessi and Holt to complete.

I''m going for 2-2 but hope to be pleasantly surprised. Wigan are a good unit away from home and we cannot allow them the space we allowed Villa.

If Norwich did win tomorrow I would rate it right up there with all the other wins this season because it will show the crucial ability to bounce back. Remember, we had more points than this one relegation season and couldn''t stop the free-fall.

It has been brilliant the way we have steadily collected points and one tomorrow should be appreciated by fans as it keeps the league run going. We got complacent against Villa, the atmosphere showed this. I hope the shock of cup defeat and the looming Xmas games means we will be properly up for a game against a dangerous side with a very good manager.

"with the last relegation place being contested between ourselves and Wigan "

yep, we will only get around another 14 points from our next 22 games !

which, averaged over a season, is about 24 points - one of the lowest totals ever in a season

all this after going 9 games unbeaten and achieving a points total (19 points) that would have (in the season before) seen us finish joint top of the table

now, I don''t think anyone imagines that this unbeaten run will continue or that we will finish with around 66 points, but neither would I have thought that anyone could imagine that we would go one one of the worst slumps ever over the next 22 games

Quite right.

A win against Wigan and in my mind safety is secured. Not mathematically of course but the clubs below us have to be much much more worried.

Wigan are one of them so another little gap gets bigger.

Please let that mug carry on with his predictions - really dont want him on our side

Had Liverpool down for a 2-0 win as well. If they''d hit his predictions, they''d be top and we''d be bottom......

[quote user="City1st"]

"with the last relegation place being contested between ourselves and Wigan "

yep, we will only get around another 14 points from our next 22 games !

which, averaged over a season, is about 24 points - one of the lowest totals ever in a season

all this after going 9 games unbeaten and achieving a points total (19 points) that would have (in the season before) seen us finish joint top of the table

now, I don''t think anyone imagines that this unbeaten run will continue or that we will finish with around 66 points, but neither would I have thought that anyone could imagine that we would go one one of the worst slumps ever over the next 22 games

[/quote]

so that''s down to 11 points from 21 games

hard times indeed for the "ever so ''umble"

[quote user="a1canary"]Well done Lawro - WRONG again. Don''t give up eh.[/quote]

M O T D need to drop this idiot, not just for his single word comment about us the mans a tit

[quote user="pete_norw"]M O T D need to drop this idiot, not just for his single word comment about us the mans a tit [/quote]He looked so bloody miserable too - I''m glad, and proud, that we''re making him look like a complete idiot. Looks to me as MOTD know this & they wouldn''t let him comment on us yesterday.And I''m sure he''ll be predicting that we''re gonna lose against W Brom, Man C, Chelsea and W Ham.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="a1canary"]Well done Lawro - WRONG again. Don''t give up eh.[/quote]

M O T D need to drop this idiot, not just for his single word comment about us the mans a tit

[/quote]

It''s not just him though, it''s the Shearer too, he''s got nothing useful to say. The BBC don''t like us, no idea why, but their script since the start of the season was that we''d struggle, have long losing battle against relegation. Why they can''t stick their hands up and admit we''re well clear of that I don''t understand.

They need to get it into their thick skulls that a well run, well managed, well supported club can do well in the PL. We are where we deserve to be despite what the MOTD clowns might say.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

In midfield Tettey and BJ with Snoddy on the left and Benno on the right would be pleasing as Pilks needs a rest IMO. Wessi and Holt to complete.

[/quote]
Thank God your opinion doesn''t influence selection then Rudolph ? [;)][:P]