Sign in to follow this  
SYG

New striker in January?

With this run of form we have and, our ability to win games, do we still need one?

If so, who would you realistically like?...

I think we''ll find out our real need for one if and when Holt sits out the next couple of games with his injury. We do look a little light in that department to be honest.

I like Morison and I think he''ll do a good job, but I''m worried about the effects of our moron fans abuse will have on him.

This is a right conundrum for us.

Assuming our current favoured formation - which i certainly see no reason to change, if we get another striker, he simply isn''t going to get in ahead of Holt. There are only three strikers i can think of who could do the job he does in our current formation, better. Rooney, Tevez and Benteke. And i''m not sure we''re going to be able to convince them to come.

In fact, leaving aside the superstars, Morison is as good an understudy to Holt as i can think of. I guess we''ll find out soon!

So, i don''t see the point of looking for someone else to cover Holt. In which case you''re looking for a striker who you might play in a 4-4-2. Who you are going to have to tell isn''t going to get on if we have a fit Holt and are sticking with the favoured formation. Just as Jackson doesn''t get on.

All in all, i can''t see the value or the point in getting another striker in January. Unless Ewan Chester has spent the winter in Belgium and has unearthed another Benteke. Which isn''t wholly unlikely!

Yes, please - someone who can take chances surgically and consistently. We still miss too many, and look what it''s doing for Villa recently.

Chris Wood would be a good shout. On loan at millwill from WBA, has 8 in 13, only 21 and 6"3. WBA are looking for about a million for him.

I too believe Morison will score if brought in the team.

But with a number of forwards probably on the way out in the summer, we need two new strikers so why not bed them in now.

Jackson, Vaughan, Kane, Martin will leave this summer and so we need strikers of some clout to come in, one more ready and one with potential and still developing. We are moving on as a club so quickly and some of our players are left behind.

I wasn''t particularly feeling the love for Kenwyne Jones earlier, but now I''ve seen him play a few times for Stoke recently he''s looked very, very strong and wins nearly everything in the air. Looks quite mobile too. I''d still prefer a little gem from abroad and hopefully CH springs a nice suprise on us:)

I think Leicester are looking at Wood from WBA. Can''t say whether he''d be able to step up or that I know much about him!

A new striker? Definitely. Even if Holt stays fit for the rest of the season and we want to start games with him by himself up front. I would be very surprised if Hughton doesn''t want at least the option of playing 4-4-2, either in some games or in parts of games. It is now more than ever  a game of squads and substitutions. And we have no one of obviously Prenier League quality who can either replace Holt or play alongside him. As to who. I have no idea.

Hosiner only just moved to Vienna in August. Similarly, Bacca at Brugge only moved there last January.

Whilst moves for either are not impossible, it is highly unlikely that either would move on so soon, even if we were interested.

Personally, and I know I''ve mentioned him before, so I''m sorry for repeating myself, but I think someone like Kim Ojo would be perfect. Also, as an outside bet, Nemanja Nicolic at Videoton might be an interesting move. Or even Leonard Kweuke at Prague.

However, if we wee to move for someone who has only been at his current club for about a year, then I would also like to add Celso Borges to the list.

Peoples blind faith really does get frustraiting especially when the evidence is layed out every week and they ignore it or refuse to accept it.I agree that come January we need to buy a new striker. We need another player who is similar to Holt or is adaptable enough to be able to play a very similar game.Holt really truely is the real deal. He has adapted his game to fit into a team as opposed to needing the team to adapt to him. He has proven this year by adapting to playing in a similar way to someone like Rooney. Our goals have been coming from the midfield a main reason for this is Holt''s work rate. He finds the gaps and flits into the channels. Fans moan cos "Holty is awn the wing," Yes, but he has dragged out one perhaps two players leaving Pilks or Snoddy a hole to cut into. If the said players mark up Snoddy or Pilks then Holt himself can cut in. This is extremely good and intellegent football which complements the ability of our 4 attacking players.Will / can Moro ( or Jackson so im not accused of hating ) do this ? No.Moro does not have the natural ability and seriously lacks the work rate.Where Jackson makes up for the work rate and technical ability he does lack the physical size and pressence.Was I the only person that saw Moro sitting around pointing when Pilks put a ball for him to run onto ? The response from Hughton was massive as he went ballistic and Moro for not chasing it. Moro had only been on the pitch 1 minute. And how many chances did Moro want to miss vs Villa or be offside for ? ( and lets ignore that half those chances were created by Holt )None of our current players can do what Holt does. We will suffer without him.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]None of our current players can do what Holt does. [/quote]

Agreed.   Holt is the real deal.  Morison and Jackson simply don''t have the all round ability that Holt has.  Kane may be a key player - we simply don''t know yet.    The amount of work Holt gets through is fantastic - all over the pitch - in defence too.   A big gap to fill if he is out for a game or two. 

All of which is essentially the point i was making which is that there''s no point looking for another striker UNLESS we can unearth one who does what Holt does. I don''t think we''re going to in England in January. It will all be down to whether or not Ewan Chester can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

It''s pretty obvious to me that he found Tettey and EC & CH were probably looking at him for Birmingham until they came here.

I don''t write off Morison completely though - if Holt is out, the coaching staff will be drilling it in to him all week and if he wants to take his chance he has to do what they say. He has the ability to do similar, you don''t need to be Rooney to do that job, you just need to hold the ball up, "occupy" the opposition defence and be prepared to work your but off. Morison can do that if he really wants to.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Peoples blind faith really does get frustraiting especially when the evidence is layed out every week and they ignore it or refuse to accept it.I agree that come January we need to buy a new striker. We need another player who is similar to Holt or is adaptable enough to be able to play a very similar game.
Holt really truely is the real deal. He has adapted his game to fit into a team as opposed to needing the team to adapt to him. He has proven this year by adapting to playing in a similar way to someone like Rooney. Our goals have been coming from the midfield a main reason for this is Holt''s work rate. He finds the gaps and flits into the channels. Fans moan cos "Holty is awn the wing," Yes, but he has dragged out one perhaps two players leaving Pilks or Snoddy a hole to cut into. If the said players mark up Snoddy or Pilks then Holt himself can cut in. This is extremely good and intellegent football which complements the ability of our 4 attacking players.
Will / can Moro ( or Jackson so im not accused of hating ) do this ? No.
Moro does not have the natural ability and seriously lacks the work rate.
Where Jackson makes up for the work rate and technical ability he does lack the physical size and pressence.

Was I the only person that saw Moro sitting around pointing when Pilks put a ball for him to run onto ? The response from Hughton was massive as he went ballistic and Moro for not chasing it. Moro had only been on the pitch 1 minute. And how many chances did Moro want to miss vs Villa or be offside for ? ( and lets ignore that half those chances were created by Holt )

None of our current players can do what Holt does. We will suffer without him.
[/quote]

No. He doesn''t really have natural technical ability or intelligence. That''s his biggest downfall. If he had that he''d be 10 times the player. His decision-making is his real downfall, which is a shame because he has some great attributes otherwise

I definitely think another striker would be great and someone who can replace Holty or join him to make a deadly attack

Sorry, that was in comparison to Moro rather than a generalisation. I''d argue that his decision making is not that bad tbh. Sure it was the Championship but Jacko really does find a knack of being in the exact right place at the exact right time. Moro simply refuses to put the effort in to be within 10 yards of the right place !

Moro has looked quite energetic and bullish in and around the box when I''ve seen him. Maybe he doesn''t do it all the time (I honestly haven''t seen him enough to say), but he never strikes me as plain lazy.. I''d like to see more of him really before writing him off entirely. He obviously can do the lone role because he did last season (with an injury as well apparently), but Simeon would need to be partnered. I really like Simeon and his passion and attitude, but I just wish he didn''t shoot from pointless angles when could lay it on a plate for someone. As fast as he is without the ball, he doesn''t seem fast enough with it always or strong enough to carry it. I want to see Kane before passing judgement and I think he''ll get a chance from what CH has been saying. I''m gutted we never got to see Vaughan given a real chance, but CH seems justified in his decision with the injuries he''s already had. We''ll certainly sign a striker in the Jan window, but who that is....excited to find out after the signings of Whittaker, Garrido and Tettey

I''d like to see a striker who is capable of running in behind the opposition back four, even if he''s going to be comming off the bench mainly. I really dont think Jackson is as quick as people think, while no slouch he always seems to have a really fast burst of pace for the first few yards, then whichever player is tracking him usually seems to catch up. Cant fault his energy, commitment or desire though.

We''ve been a striker short all season in my opinion. I''d of kept Wilbraham cause I''m sure he''d of done a similar job to what he done last season!

Hopefully we''ll get someone who can do Holts job, cause the back up will be neccessary if we get injuries!

Fork out the cash for Hooper. I would. HOOPER HOOPER HOOPER! Failing that, Watt or Samaras. I just want a touch of Celtic about our attack to be honest.

We still have to shift some out at the same time to make space.

Losing C Martin and Lappin gives us two places. I suspect Fox will be on his way as well.

I would imagine that Hughton would have planned to get Kane into the position of being cover and ''impact'' sub, which hasn''t happened. However I cannot see the club bringing in anyone that is not going to be here for the long term future so it may well rule out the usual suspects who would be epected to go straight into the match day suad if not the team.

One revelation has been Pilkington who has looked the player I thought Kane was going to be. But it all depends on how Hughton sees the team formation/tactics. At the moment it doesn''t look like he is playing one designated striker, it is a very fluid formation so that will undoubtedly determine the type of player he brings in.

Thats a good point tbh City 1st. We really are looking fluid at the moment. We were worried where the goals were going to come from. Well they seem to be coming from all over the place at the moment.Dont see us really playing targetman or lone striker though, I was thinking yesterday that Holt almost has a free role atm. Which is bizare, but think about what he does and the impact he makes doing it.

[quote user="Mahogany"]Chris Wood would be a good shout. On loan at millwill from WBA, has 8 in 13, only 21 and 6"3. WBA are looking for about a million for him.[/quote]I wouldn''t be surprised. Trollope had wanted to sign him on-loan for Bristol R, then Trollope was sacked and joined Hughton at Birmingham. Birmingham signed Wood on-loan, Hughton wanted to extend the loan but Wood turned them down and went to Bristol C.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Thats a good point tbh City 1st. We really are looking fluid at the moment. We were worried where the goals were going to come from. Well they seem to be coming from all over the place at the moment.
Dont see us really playing targetman or lone striker though, I was thinking yesterday that Holt almost has a free role atm. Which is bizare, but think about what he does and the impact he makes doing it.
[/quote]

There does seem to be a method to it as well. Whittaker has been allowed to cut inside and run at the defence in order to get in a shot. Crosses have been targetted at Bassong on the back post, and not from corners either. Holts recent cross to Bassong was spot on, as was Pilkington''s for hooly - a few or two either way and he would have not reached it. Likewise Garrido for Pilks

We appear to have worked quite hard at that, even to the point of ''engineering'' freekicks from the side of the penalty box, something Pilks was ''found out'' with on Sat.

Certainly Jackson, Bennett(E) and Snodgrass are capable of running at the defence and getting goals so i would expect any new striker to be able to fit in with these tactics, which will at least require a few weeks training and working with the squad, rather than simply being ready to go from day one.

Keep a watch on Bunn as well. He can hoof a ball with the best and it appears he has been instructed (and practised) to accurately find our players in their half on a quick break.

How long we can employ these tactics before they are ''found out'' is anybodys guess. The suggestion is that the opposition coaching staff are able to work out what''s going on and adapt their team''s play to it, hence the harder time we seem to be having in the second half of games. But fair play to Hughton for using what ''limited resources'' he has to the best advantage possible ie stopping them playing and nicking the odd goal here and there.

7th says it''s working, so far

We are in very big need of a striker ..... I would even say 2.

Very grateful for Jackson & what he has done for us but it''s obvious CH doesn''t trust him enough to play 90m in the prem.

We need a Defoe light to give CH the option to a striker off Holt, and change tactics in a game that needs chasing & another player to compete directly with Holt for the number 1 spot up top.

I expect CH knows we lack options up front & will build on this. If we want to see off our opposition by more than 1 goal we need the our final ball to fall to someone who can be punish time & time again.