Sign in to follow this  
Rivvo

CMS and Liam Bridcutt

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Lets be aving you"]

"CMS is a goalscorer and on form. We''d probably pay over the odds in January for such a player unless Peterboro need the dosh"

NN, CMS plays for Brighton these days!

[/quote]

OOps! Of course he does[:$]

Let''s hope they need the dosh..

[/quote]

But what nutty meant was[;)]...that Peterborough are likely to have a sell-on clause that limits how much Brighton get to keep of any fee we might pay, and so affects what they are willing to accept from us. Presumably we would have to offer more than the amount Brighton rejected in the summer - a rejection that may have been influenced by Brighton knowing they wouldn''t get to make enough of a profit. Are we willing to pay enough to alter that equation?

[/quote]

I think the likely sell on clause is a good point Purple. How much of the Rhodes fee went to the binners?

Best scenario is that Brighton need the money cuz they still owe Posh. Unlikely I guess.

[/quote]

Never seen Mackail-Smith play, nutty, but I suspect his level is the Championship. In that case, assuming a sell-on clause to Peterborough, we would probably have to pay over the odds for someone not that good. I strongly believe we need extra striking options for the rest of the season, but equally we are in a position where we are not desperate.

I think a much better solution than spending millions on a questionable Mackail-Smith would be to get in on loan someone already used to English football, who could make a difference straight away. If Guidetti, for example, is close to playing again then he would be a possibility. At the same time we should look abroad for a high-class Benteke-type permanent acquisition, who might need time to adjust, but who would be useful towards the end of the season, and - unlike Mackail-Smith - be a real asset next season.

"But what nutty meant wasWink [;)]...that Peterborough are likely to have a sell-on clause that limits how much Brighton get to keep of any fee we might pay, and so affects what they are willing to accept from us."

Purple, great point and good to know you have an intimate understanding of the inner workings of Nutty''s mind.

We''ll just have to hope that if Brighton want to sell Bridcutt and are willing to take Fox in part exchange, Man U, Blackpool or Colchester don''t mess things up for us Wink [;)].

I''m not for a minute suggesting every lower league player can step up, but we have a team full of players who have proved it can be done. Don''t be so quick to write CMS off as Championship at best quality. He''s got all the attributes to succeed and perhaps just like Ruddy, Cafu, Johnson, Pilks, Bennett, Snoddy, Wes, Holty etc he just needs to be given the chance to prove himself.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Lets be aving you"]

"CMS is a goalscorer and on form. We''d probably pay over the odds in January for such a player unless Peterboro need the dosh"

NN, CMS plays for Brighton these days!

[/quote]

OOps! Of course he does[:$]

Let''s hope they need the dosh..

[/quote]

But what nutty meant was[;)]...that Peterborough are likely to have a sell-on clause that limits how much Brighton get to keep of any fee we might pay, and so affects what they are willing to accept from us. Presumably we would have to offer more than the amount Brighton rejected in the summer - a rejection that may have been influenced by Brighton knowing they wouldn''t get to make enough of a profit. Are we willing to pay enough to alter that equation?

[/quote]

I think the likely sell on clause is a good point Purple. How much of the Rhodes fee went to the binners?

Best scenario is that Brighton need the money cuz they still owe Posh. Unlikely I guess.

[/quote]

Never seen Mackail-Smith play, nutty, but I suspect his level is the Championship. In that case, assuming a sell-on clause to Peterborough, we would probably have to pay over the odds for someone not that good. I strongly believe we need extra striking options for the rest of the season, but equally we are in a position where we are not desperate.

I think a much better solution than spending millions on a questionable Mackail-Smith would be to get in on loan someone already used to English football, who could make a difference straight away. If Guidetti, for example, is close to playing again then he would be a possibility. At the same time we should look abroad for a high-class Benteke-type permanent acquisition, who might need time to adjust, but who would be useful towards the end of the season, and - unlike Mackail-Smith - be a real asset next season.

[/quote]

I''m with Mr Brownstone in the "we don''t know but it''s possible" camp. But equally agree that the fee, hiked even further by the sell on, make it an expensive gamble. Abroad seems the way forward but funnily enough this time last season we were all saying that was not the way forward. Tettey and Benteke at Villa have changed a few minds. Harry Kane has become an option again this afternoon and Hughton''s judgement has proved to be terrific with his other signings. A gamble lost in this window could affect our budget for many windows to come.

Havnt seen CMS play at all recently, but when we were last in for him I, like many others I''m sure, made a point to check him out as much as I could on the Football League show and other various clips (hardly Chief Scout stuff I know). At that time, I was very impressed and thought he would fit in well due to his energy and general type of play, not so different from Holt from what I could see at that time. In addition, Poyet seems to know a good player when he see''s one and he currently has a very decent strike rate. Much prefer CMS than some Premier League reserve player heading towards the end of his career, well I think I would anyway OTBC

When I saw CMS play for Scotland he looked very energetic and a decent player. Only way we''d truly know if he can make it is if he comes to the Prem. Depends on price though really and if CH has other targets in mind

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I''m not for a minute suggesting every lower league player can step up, but we have a team full of players who have proved it can be done. Don''t be so quick to write CMS off as Championship at best quality. He''s got all the attributes to succeed and perhaps just like Ruddy, Cafu, Johnson, Pilks, Bennett, Snoddy, Wes, Holty etc he just needs to be given the chance to prove himself.[/quote]

He may be able to step up but at 4m it is too much for a 29 year old as the only way is downhill for him and that money is irrecoverable. I''d give him a go at 2m though.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I''m not for a minute suggesting every lower league player can step up, but we have a team full of players who have proved it can be done. Don''t be so quick to write CMS off as Championship at best quality. He''s got all the attributes to succeed and perhaps just like Ruddy, Cafu, Johnson, Pilks, Bennett, Snoddy, Wes, Holty etc he just needs to be given the chance to prove himself.[/quote]

He may be able to step up but at 4m it is too much for a 29 year old as the only way is downhill for him and that money is irrecoverable. I''d give him a go at 2m though.

[/quote]

I wonder how much Grant Holt was worth at 29 and how far downhill he''s gone since then....

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

I wonder how much Grant Holt was worth at 29 and how far downhill he''s gone since then....

[/quote]

Ah, so West Ham reportedly offered 6m or so for Holt, so CMS is worth 6m. Wonderful logic.....

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah, so West Ham reportedly offered 6m or so for Holt, so CMS is worth 6m. Wonderful logic.....

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What''s West Ham and 6m got to do with the price of fish...

You''re a one you are Moyo!

Grant Holt has not gone down hill since he was 29. Russell Martin is still improving at 29. If you''re 29 then your nonsense gets worse at 29 so god help us when you pass 30!

IF (big if) we are back in for CMS you can bet  his agent will be after a deal. It''s all well and good Brighton holding out for big money, but a player who has missed out on two or three chances to sign for a (now) premier league club isn''t not going to be happy to miss the boat again. Player power still exists. An unhappy CMS isn''t worth keeping. I think there is a chance that Brighton would be forced to gain value in clauses based on appearances  - similar to the contracts the likes of Bent is reportedly on at Villa.

I also think we need to be a bit careful about players "finding their level". Holt was unlikely to be on too many radars as a potential premier league player when he was at Forest, neither was Martin (R) . In fact many of our players needed to come to us to "find their level"

If you want to sign "proven" players - whatever that really means - you will be paying a premium. 

Ruddy wasn''t good enough to play for Everton. Now he is good enough to play for England.

Am I the only one thinking that with Korey Smith''s recent return after 2 successful loans we have a ready replacement for the holding/box to box midfielder if there are injuries. People tend to forget he is only 21 and was a key player for us 3 years ago. Had you asked me then whether I''d rather have him or Bradley Johnson in the City midfield I would''ve said him (although bradders has proved many of us wrong since!).

If Liam Bridcutt is of Tettey''s class then great if no better than what we have then no thanks

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Grant Holt has not gone down hill since he was 29. Russell Martin is still improving at 29. If you''re 29 then your nonsense gets worse at 29 so god help us when you pass 30!

[/quote]

NN - you are having a mare on this thread.

Russell Martin is not 29 - he will be 27 in January!!

[quote user="Evesham Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

NN - you are having a mare on this thread.

Russell Martin is not 29 - he will be 27 in January!!

[/quote]

LOL[:)][:$]

Still doesn''t change the fact that Moyo is talking poppycock.

Wes is 30 (I think!) Had he previously played in the Prem? Or been the subject of interest from Prem clubs? So Moyo logic has  hurtling at least one third of the way down the hill...