Sign in to follow this  
VMan Canary

Rotate or not to Rotate ? That is the question !

Barring the Sunderland victory all of the home games that we have won so far this season were games that we did not manage to win last season the most recent being against Wigan. Considering the disruptions of pre-season and the start we had it shows how well Hughton has turned things around recently. Without stating the obvious the win over Wigan was very significant as it has given us a big bonus of having more points in the bag than we did last season as we enter the busy Xmas period.

I have seen a few posts and heard a few comments on Canary call which have criticised Hughton''s lack of ability to freshen things up by rotating the squad and that he also does not have a plan B when it comes to making substitutions. However last year even though Lambert''s substitutions were at times inspired some posters posed the question of " I don''t understand why we don''t play our strongest 11 every week?"

Both these points are very valid so it will be interesting to see how Hughton manages the squad of the Xmas period and how he will go about picking up as many points as possible but also trying to reduce the risk of fatigue and injury to our key players.

In my humble opinion I would like to see us play our strongest available side against West Brom and Chelsea. Rotate against Man City and try to have the best available squad for West Ham. I don’t think it’s possible or wise with the schedule to play the strongest starting 11 for everyone of these 4 games without risking the long term fitness of the players.

Thoughts ?

No I completely agree about rotating for the Man C game... though depending on how much of a rotation it could be accused as calling it a write off. I think despite what people are saying there is depth enough for the league. Howson has stepped it up in recent weeks to show he is more than a five minute sub. Deffo field the strongest XI for WBA, but I would also argue resting some for Chelsea depending on this weekends result.

I''m nervous of our christmas period, if we do well this weekend it could keep us by and large braced for our next two games. A loss and we could have a downward momentum build. Our position is delicate. There really remains not too much of a gap to gamble with rotations I believe.

WHAT?!

Why bother rotating when we''re on a run of excellent results. Man City aren''t firing on all cylinders, what better time to cause an upset!

Rotating causes us to lose our momentum, we''re stronger than last time we played city and they''re gonna be weaker. Im actualy looking forward to the city game :)

I think if it''s not broken, don''t fix it. As long as we''re getting the results don''t change a thing. But obviously if a player is starting to show fatigue, then we have capable replacements to step up.

My worry is that by not oiling the machine we might break it. I''m not talking full on starting XI changes but xmas is a packed time for fixtures and I don''t want players out when we could have prevented it.

I am not saying you are wrong as I like the way Hughton always puts out our strongest 11 every week. With players like Tettey back in the side at the weekend it really showed as we looked alot more solid.

But do you think the same team can keep the up the same level of intensity and performance for every one on those 4 games. If they can somehow than it would great but Remember its 4 games in 10 days give or take. 2 of those games are against top sides and we need to be at our best even if they are not firing on all cylinders or not.

These players play one game a week. We''re out of the carling cup, fatigue shouldnt come into it. No excuses really for not playing our strongest team.

Lack of rotation leads to injuries and drops in performance - better to make manageable changes than have changes forced on the team due to pulls, tears and strains.

It''s impossible to know who might be feeling fatigued, but with all the modern equipment used by football clubs they know who is in most need of a rest. Tettey was certainly showing signs of fading against Sunderland so hopefully the little break has served him well - he suffered quite a few injury problems in the last season or so with Rennes which meant he lost his place in the team, not worth pushing him too hard and these problems to arise again.

You only have to look at Redknapp''s Tottenham team from last year to know the effect on a team a lack of rotation can have.

Bethnal''s approach is my preference, certainly not wholesale rotation, but resting two, maximum three players for each game over this period would have limited impact on the side providing it''s done well. At the moment my trust of CH in making decisions is very high and I am sure he will manage the squad impecably over the next few weeks.

It is a difficult one for sure. On one hand I would not like to see us throwing away points because we did not field our strongest team but on the other hand it is a worry though that without careful management of the squad that a couple more injuries to key players could affect rest of the season for the sake of one game. For example I would not want lose Tettey or Hoolahan for a few weeks because they have been over played. But then at the same time you could argue that players run the risk of injury anytime they step on to the pitch anyway

Looking forward to seeing what Hughton does over the Xmas period I personally can''t wait to get it over and done with and look forward to the January transfer window.I am not sure why teams have to play so many games in such a short space of time but never the less that''s just the way it is and all the teams are in the same boat and have to deal with it I suppose.

I think it will be possible to rotate without any major problems, obvious choices for me would be E. Bennett instead of Snoddy, Morro or Kane instead of Holt, and Howson instead of Hoolahoop.

I would however be less inclined to rotate Tettey and Johnson or our back 4 unless it was needed because of fatigue or injury.

[quote user="pablofarmer"]I think it will be possible to rotate without any major problems, obvious choices for me would be E. Bennett instead of Snoddy, Morro or Kane instead of Holt, and Howson instead of Hoolahoop. I would however be less inclined to rotate Tettey and Johnson or our back 4 unless it was needed because of fatigue or injury.[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more.

The Manager will put out the strongest team for each game. He and his staff spend every day with the squad. They talk to them, know what niggles and ailments they have, know which ones are not quite 100% and need a break. We don''t.

Hmm.

Looking at the games we have Saturday (WBA) - Wednesday (Chelsea) - Saturday (ManC) - Tuesday (WHU) - Saturday (Pboro).

Hughton is pretty much the opposite of Lambert in his approach to the squad.  With Lambert it was hard to predict who''d be in the starting line up for any game, with Hughton changes are now mainly from injuries.  ditto Lambert would always bring on 2 subs at 60 minutes if we were losing, Hughton is much more reluctant.

On New Year''s Day you often see games where both sides look tired.  Personally I agree with the comments that a few changes for the ManC game would be a good idea.  I''m not sure the manager will see it the same way though.

I agree with pablofarmer, but for me we shouldn''t rotate until we have more points in the bag. Go flat out with very minor variations (eg Morro for Holt against Chelsea, Surman (if fit) or Howson or Bennett for Snods for Hooly v Man City) but another 5 points, say, from these 4 games will be very very useful. Maintain the momentum. Don''t risk knocking all the confidence out by risking major stuffings by MC and Chelsea, that would be more damaging than a bit of tiredness and sore legs here and there.

Hughton has publicly stated that fatigue is not an issue at the moment. I think he''ll carry on with the same first team for West Brom and Chelsea (fitness allowing - e.g. Holt). Then maybe make the odd change if and when required.It''s a demanding schedule. But we said that when the Arsenal and Man Utd games came around. Time to nut up or shut up.

I don''t think the starters are capable of playing all 4 games in 10 days - by the time we get to the Man City game most would be pretty leg heavy. The goalkeeper & the back 4 should be ok but the other 6 would have had quite a bit of running. I don''t think we have too much depth in the squad at all. If rotation was necessary my opinion is:

Rotate Hoolahan, Pilkington, Snodgrass & E Bennett in the advance midfield positions giving them 3 full games each.

In central midfield - give either Howson or Fox the WBA & West Ham games. with Tettey & Johnson retained for 3 games each.

Striker - (First 3 games) Holt to start & once tired subbed by Morison or Jackson or Kane. West Ham - one of the 3 to start. Morison to maybe start against WBA if Holt''s hamstring not right.

I agree with Webbo that the coaching staff will know the exact situation with each player but have to say replacing any of our top line players in these games is not just a minor variation.

Aside from factors of age and playing position, some players are naturally more athletic and have better stamina than others.

It strikes me, both from what they have said and how they perform, that Bassong and Whittaker are probably two of our more athletic performers. Whereas Hoolahan is not, and that he would perform better with the occasional rest.

As Six Pack suggests, perming the better players to play 3 out of the 4 games might be the best rotation strategy. This would ensure a good degree of team continuity while also allowing some respite.