Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Unwise Transfers!

Seeing Pogrebnyak playing for Reading tonight makes me think what a rank bad decision it was to swap an offer from Fulham to move to Reading in the summer! Clearly motivated by money and a Russian owner, but got me thinking of other bad decisions by players to move clubs!

I''ll get the ball rolling by suggesting Darel Russell. Decided on a move to Stoke City so he could aim for PL football and promptly ended up seeing Norwich promoted the very next season!

Any others?

[quote user="flecky76"]Seeing Pogrebnyak playing for Reading tonight makes me think what a rank bad decision it was to swap an offer from Fulham to move to Reading in the summer! Clearly motivated by money and a Russian owner, but got me thinking of other bad decisions by players to move clubs! I''ll get the ball rolling by suggesting Darel Russell. Decided on a move to Stoke City so he could aim for PL football and promptly ended up seeing Norwich promoted the very next season! Any others?[/quote]

and to compound that error he left Stoke to rejoin us the season before they were promoted! We were then relegated in his second season back and to further compound his errors he decided not to sign a contract with us when we get promoted and he was replaced by Crofts!!

Lightning obviously struck twice with Russell then, he stalled on a contract offer from Lambert aswell, who then went and bought Crofts, so Russell then had to sign for Preston.

How about Finidi George to Ipswich, what a way to do in your career.  Scott Sinclairs transfer to Man City''s reserves in the summer, also must go down as a money over football decision, unless he''s seriosuly deluded in his estimation of his own ability.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

Lightning obviously struck twice with Russell then, he stalled on a contract offer from Lambert aswell, who then went and bought Crofts, so Russell then had to sign for Preston.

How about Finidi George to Ipswich, what a way to do in your career.  Scott Sinclairs transfer to Man City''s reserves in the summer, also must go down as a money over football decision, unless he''s seriosuly deluded in his estimation of his own ability.

[/quote]

Sinclair is a good shout - same applied to Scott Parker & Steve Sidwell going to Chelsea.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Green has had a decade of first team football, I''m sure he''s not too upset being paid more to sit on the bench.[/quote]

In a recent interview he was upset when they signed Ceaser and said if they made it clear to him he would not be first choice he wouldn''t have joined and stayed at West Ham.. afterall this move has all but killed his future chances of england caps.

[quote user="Europe_93"]

Torres to date, he should have learnt from Flecky

[/quote]

Definitely. He''ll be gutted he didn''t stay at Liverpool to pick up that League Cup winners medal when hes only got Champions League and FA Cup winners medals to show for his time at Chelsea so far.

How about Andy Carroll to Liverpool, he was a crowd favourite at Newcastle...cost a fortune and has been loaned out...

Kaka to Real Madrid, was amongst the wrold''s best when he was at AC Milan and now he doesn''t even play.

Andy Hughes left Reading the summer before they got promoted and joined us, not Worthy''s finest moment.

davo

I started a thread in August headed "Another top class youngster lost to England?" about Jack Rodwell''s transfer to Manchester City.

By joining that club he has done what a lot of other good young English players have done, chased the money and ruined his development and possibly their careers.

He made his England debut in November 2011 but since his transfer to man City has only played 5 games (3 as sub).

His last game was in October when he got 1 minute on the pitch.

I don''t somehow expect him to improve on his 2 England caps without playing regularly.