Sign in to follow this  
paul moy

QPR to lose best player for a month

That presumes QPR are any relevance to us - league wise we will benefit far more from Everton having Fallieni out for three games

assuming one player makes that much difference

The point with Gerrard though Paul is that it''s far easier to stay loyal to your club when they happen to be (almost) constantly playing in European competitions, and finishing in the top 4 or 5, as they have been for most of Gerrard''s time there. Yes, he could have gone elsewhere for slightly more money and for slightly more chance of winning something. But Liverpool have still pretty much offered him opportunities to win all the silverware he has wanted - if he had come through the ranks at a Villa type club, would he have stayed just because he was a Villa fan and grew up in the area? Even if there was a European club who came in for him?

And your last few lines about Hucks rather confuse me for two reasons. Firstly, you have said elsewhere that clubs should rely on youth players coming through their own ranks, but then you''re happy to admit that Huckerby can leave the club where he came through the youth ranks and end up ''returning home'' at the 10th club in his career! The two don''t really seem to coincide - are you saying that players who leave their hometown club for bigger money (like Huckerby) are bad? But players who are journeymen throughout their career but ''fall in love'' with the last club are ok? And what does it say for your theory of relying on homegrown players when you see so many homegrown players having no ''love'' for their ''home'' club, but then ''outsiders'' such as Huckerby do have ''love'' for their adopted clubs?

It also confuses me in relation to Taraabt. You say motivations are normally - later on - about more than money? Something like playing for your country perhaps? Now I''d like to extend this to wider than Taraabt, because Taraabt might actually be purely motivated by financial interests. For all we know he could well choose to stay at QPR and not go to the ACN if it benefitted him financially (and he was wanted by his country).

But your post seems to be insinuating that players should not go to the ACN for the love of the club rather than go and play for their country. I don''t understand how you can say that quite so venomously.

Fair enough if you think club football comes before international (from a fans point of view, it probably does more often than not), but if I had the chance of representing my country or merely representing a club (and a club in a foreign country at that) I wouldn''t like to think that people would think bad of me for choosing to play for my country.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="paul moy"]Incredible if he doesn''t after seeing that solo goal he scored at the weekend. The guy is sheer class.[/quote]

Typical. Scores one goal and everyone thinks he''s the best thing since sliced bread. Fancy dan, show pony who wouldn''t get within a million miles of any team of mine if I had anything to do with it. Harry knows the score but has got to make the most of it because he has got him.

[/quote]

Yeah, he''s only ever scored that one good goal. Crazy isn''t it !! 

[/quote]

Your opinion is that he is a wonderful player - fine, presumably in the same category as CM. My opinion is that he is not. He has skill, a few fancy tricks and scores the odd eye-catching goal. If that''s what floats your boat, fine. For me, he is a luxury, doesn''t do enough for the team, has a distinctly dodgy attitude when things don''t go his way and frequently disappears during games. In short, not the first choice to have next to you in the trenches.

[/quote]

If we had him instead of CM ..... if only !!! [:D]

[quote user="Aggy"]The point with Gerrard though Paul is that it''s far easier to stay loyal to your club when they happen to be (almost) constantly playing in European competitions, and finishing in the top 4 or 5, as they have been for most of Gerrard''s time there. Yes, he could have gone elsewhere for slightly more money and for slightly more chance of winning something. But Liverpool have still pretty much offered him opportunities to win all the silverware he has wanted - if he had come through the ranks at a Villa type club, would he have stayed just because he was a Villa fan and grew up in the area? Even if there was a European club who came in for him? And your last few lines about Hucks rather confuse me for two reasons. Firstly, you have said elsewhere that clubs should rely on youth players coming through their own ranks, but then you''re happy to admit that Huckerby can leave the club where he came through the youth ranks and end up ''returning home'' at the 10th club in his career! The two don''t really seem to coincide - are you saying that players who leave their hometown club for bigger money (like Huckerby) are bad? But players who are journeymen throughout their career but ''fall in love'' with the last club are ok? And what does it say for your theory of relying on homegrown players when you see so many homegrown players having no ''love'' for their ''home'' club, but then ''outsiders'' such as Huckerby do have ''love'' for their adopted clubs? It also confuses me in relation to Taraabt. You say motivations are normally - later on - about more than money? Something like playing for your country perhaps? Now I''d like to extend this to wider than Taraabt, because Taraabt might actually be purely motivated by financial interests. For all we know he could well choose to stay at QPR and not go to the ACN if it benefitted him financially (and he was wanted by his country). But your post seems to be insinuating that players should not go to the ACN for the love of the club rather than go and play for their country. I don''t understand how you can say that quite so venomously. Fair enough if you think club football comes before international (from a fans point of view, it probably does more often than not), but if I had the chance of representing my country or merely representing a club (and a club in a foreign country at that) I wouldn''t like to think that people would think bad of me for choosing to play for my country.[/quote]

I said ''he found his home'' not that he was ''returning home''. [:D] a very subtle difference

... and I''m not saying always put the club first, but only when the club is in really dire straits such as when relegation could be avoided with you, but is almost certain without.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]With players like Belhanda, Amrabat, Assaidi and Labyad Morocco aren''t short of creative midfielders and none of them are as much trouble as Taarabt.[/quote]and Mbark Boussoufa! Although I do agree that Taarabt probably should play.Also Diakite and M''Bia (two of QPR best players, if that''s possible!) might be going too?And Traore?Haha, quite a few then.

Is there not a FIFA rule that if a National Association calls up a player and he (or his club) then refuses that call-up FIFA can ban the player for the length of time he would have been on national duty?  I''m sure its there to stop frivolous ''injury'' withdrawals but surely the principle is the same to uphold the importance of international football.

It would be difficult for any foreign player to show the same sort of loyalty to a team Gerrard, Terry, ...

If they leave their own country to play at a higher, better paid, standard, why should we be surprised when they move a few miles to further their careers?

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="paul moy"]Incredible if he doesn''t after seeing that solo goal he scored at the weekend. The guy is sheer class.[/quote]

Typical. Scores one goal and everyone thinks he''s the best thing since sliced bread. Fancy dan, show pony who wouldn''t get within a million miles of any team of mine if I had anything to do with it. Harry knows the score but has got to make the most of it because he has got him.

[/quote]

Yeah, he''s only ever scored that one good goal. Crazy isn''t it !! 

[/quote]

Your opinion is that he is a wonderful player - fine, presumably in the same category as CM. My opinion is that he is not. He has skill, a few fancy tricks and scores the odd eye-catching goal. If that''s what floats your boat, fine. For me, he is a luxury, doesn''t do enough for the team, has a distinctly dodgy attitude when things don''t go his way and frequently disappears during games. In short, not the first choice to have next to you in the trenches.

[/quote]

If we had him instead of CM ..... if only !!! [:D]

[/quote]

No thank you very much.

Lots of fans always think players care about their clubs the same way they do themselves, the reality in most cases would be a club is an employer that hopefully they enjoy working for, unless it''s their boyhood club. But a fair few players love their countries and that is the right way around imo.

As for having him stropping around our club,  QPR can keep him for all his flashes of brilliance. Anyway if he got subbed off for us he''d be lucky to find public transport in Norfolk that would reliably get him home.