Sign in to follow this  
The saint

Villa v Bradford

Am I right in thinking that the teams assigned to the numbers would have been different if we beat Villa? We would have drawn Swansea...

We picked the right team on the night. There were a decent number of 1st team regulars but it also rewarded the fringe players who had helped us get to the quarter finals of the competition. On the day Villa played the better football and deserved to progress.

Who cares. It''s history now. I will settle for 3 points against them later in the season to drop them in the mire.A Wembley final would have been a distraction we ( and Villa) don''t really need right now.

[quote user="whoareyou"]A Wembley final would have been a distraction we ( and Villa) don''t really need right now.[/quote]Is this the mindset of the majority of football fans these days? That a Wembley final would be ''a distraction''. I always thought that the prospect of actually winning something was the reason that we put up with the assorted dross in the bad old days of Grant/Roeder/Gunn. Didn''t we (and presumably the vast majority of our players) dream of playing in a Wembley final as children. But now the possibility of winning a trophy is ''a distraction''. ''A distraction'' from what exactly?Let''s hope we don''t stay around the top six for too much longer. Imagine what ''a distraction'' it would be if we accidentally qualified for Europe [:''(][:''(][:''(]

A good distraction for them, with now a possible 4 extra matches on thier hands, something I''m glad we don''t have, and to be honest, even though I went to all cup matches I''m not bothered about the silverwear they bring, because our thin squad would not cope with what follows on with the win, I am very happy for the club to concentrate on league survival for a couple of seasons and build a stronger squad If not only to do away with the threat of religation every season

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="whoareyou"]A Wembley final would have been a distraction we ( and Villa) don''t really need right now.[/quote]Is this the mindset of the majority of football fans these days? That a Wembley final would be ''a distraction''. I always thought that the prospect of actually winning something was the reason that we put up with the assorted dross in the bad old days of Grant/Roeder/Gunn. Didn''t we (and presumably the vast majority of our players) dream of playing in a Wembley final as children. But now the possibility of winning a trophy is ''a distraction''. ''A distraction'' from what exactly?Let''s hope we don''t stay around the top six for too much longer. Imagine what ''a distraction'' it would be if we accidentally qualified for Europe [:''(][:''(][:''(][/quote]History has proven that to be the case more than once.I want an FA Cup final anyway not the tinpot cup. I''ve been to two of those already!

I for one would have enjoyed a trip to Wembley. There''s a generation of City fans who have never been there. But that''s the up and downs of football. Personally, I think Villa are beginning to look a very good side indeed. Credit, again, to Lambert for that.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="whoareyou"]A Wembley final would have been a distraction we ( and Villa) don''t really need right now.[/quote]Is this the mindset of the majority of football fans these days? That a Wembley final would be ''a distraction''. I always thought that the prospect of actually winning something was the reason that we put up with the assorted dross in the bad old days of Grant/Roeder/Gunn. Didn''t we (and presumably the vast majority of our players) dream of playing in a Wembley final as children. But now the possibility of winning a trophy is ''a distraction''. ''A distraction'' from what exactly?Let''s hope we don''t stay around the top six for too much longer. Imagine what ''a distraction'' it would be if we accidentally qualified for Europe [:''(][:''(][:''(][/quote]Totally agree with this.At the time we beat Villa we had 22 points and barring a complete disaster over the remainder of the season safe from relegation. I''d have sacrificed the three points against Wigan as if it was a choice between that and a reasonable chance of a Wembley appearance.It''s not the end of the world that we didn''t make it but despite all the bluster on here about '' distractions '' most of us are pretty gutted we blew it.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="whoareyou"]

A Wembley final would have been a distraction we ( and Villa) don''t really need right now.
[/quote]

Is this the mindset of the majority of football fans these days? That a Wembley final would be ''a distraction''. I always thought that the prospect of actually winning something was the reason that we put up with the assorted dross in the bad old days of Grant/Roeder/Gunn. Didn''t we (and presumably the vast majority of our players) dream of playing in a Wembley final as children. But now the possibility of winning a trophy is ''a distraction''. ''A distraction'' from what exactly?

Let''s hope we don''t stay around the top six for too much longer. Imagine what ''a distraction'' it would be if we accidentally qualified for Europe [:''(][:''(][:''(]
[/quote]

I agree with this 100%. I''m not old enough to say I was around for the Milk cup win. In my lifetime as a Norwich fan i''ve seen much more dismay than victories, and would love to say I''ve seen us win some silverware.

I think it would have been the icing on the cake for all the players that have helped us over the last 3 years to get us where we are. We are probably going to lose/release/sell a lot of fringe players that have been so integral to getting us to the prem, and keeping us here last year. Wouldn''t it have been nice to see them off with a some real glory.

It does annoy me when people are so set into their thinking that a few extra games would mean relegation. Thats not a certainity at all, and think you are only saying that as you don''t want to admit you''d love to be going to Wembley to see NCFC lift a trophy! C''mon, say it to yourself, Norwich City Football Club win the cup.

It seems to me that the core of the contributors on here, the ones that are so quick to attack if you dare to disagree with their views, are actually the negative ones.

Football is about winning and the confidence it brings. I would have loved a Wembley final again, but no - the aim must be just to stay in The Prem. therefore becoming NCFC never to win anything ever again except The Prem as all else is a distraction.

This is so sad. Open your eyes, cup runs are great for everyone. I don''t want us to become a team whose sole aim is Prem survival.

Dare I say it but I enjoyed our promotion seasons just as much as last season. Will The Prem hold as much excitement for us in 5 years time if all we do is continue to just try and survive as reality is that nowadays The Prem is bought and not won

[quote user="Xavi- Poor Mans Ian Crook"]We wouldn''t have got Bradford if we had gone through.[/quote]

No, away to Chelski first round.

As I understand it, yes we would have drawn Bradford. The numbers for the draw were as follows:

1. Aston Villa

2. Bradford

3. Swansea

4. Chelsea

first 3 alphabetical and 4 was unknown when the draw was planned. 1 drew 2 and 3 drew 4. If we put Norwich in instead of Villa we get the following:

1. Bradford

2. Norwich

3. Swansea

4. Chelsea

1 Vs 2 = Bradford Vs Norwich.

I may not be correct but this is how i understand it.

To me it''s important we build on the last three years at the moment to ensure we have a sustainable, competitive Premier League side. The amount of extra money next year and where NCFC are now financially and player and management staff wise, we have a great platform to build a competitive Premier League club for years to come.

This can all fall apart just as quickly as it has been built if not done right. I don''t believe we have enough quality player resources to do that yet but we are getting there.

Look no further than their second city rivals, Birmingham City.

When they won the League Cup they then got relegated, can''t prove the two were linked, but it probably had some influence.

I do agree, it''s sad people don''t appear to be too gutted that we are out of the cup. It would be great to win a cup, but the longer we stay in the Prem the more likely it''ll happen. If we stay up this year (which I think we will) once the new TV deal comes in combined with us being virtually debt free perhaps we can push a bit further then as the squad will be better.

I Cannot believe some people''s view on here - I have turned 40 this year my greatest memory was watching us win the Milk Cup at Wembley with 100,000 fans as a 12 year old.

Since then we''ve been relagated and promoted so many times. Some people only care about the Money now and how wonderful it would be if we can finish 15th in the Premier League.

I love the Premier league dont get me wrong and I''m proud of how well out club is doing - but if somebody said to me we will get relegated this year but we will win the FA cup at Wembley, or we can finish 12th in the Premier league and win nothing - believe me I''ll take the FA Cup all day long....no one will be looking back in 20 years time saying ''Can you remember the 12/13 season when we finished 12th in the League!!!!

Sorry Trubshaw, but if we maintain Prem. status then we will have far more chance of winning a few cups in years to come. Financial security and spendability is paramount surely.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Sorry Trubshaw, but if we maintain Prem. status then we will have far more chance of winning a few cups in years to come. Financial security and spendability is paramount surely.[/quote]

well then we get tournament money

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Sorry Trubshaw, but if we maintain Prem. status then we will have far more chance of winning a few cups in years to come. Financial security and spendability is paramount surely.[/quote]

Money over cup wins? That would be an interesting fan poll

There are many teams who achieve survival in the prem each year but still do not achieve in the cups. I would like to see the statistics of prem longevity =cup wins outside ''top4'' clubs.

Why is the 59 cup run still one of our most celebrated achievements. I bet few of us know our league position that year