Sign in to follow this  
paul moy

We cannot buy Ince or Sturridge

[quote user="Mister Chops"]...., but at that washed-up old has-been of a club .....[/quote]

Last twice I checked they hammered us, neither have they sunk to the depths we did. I appreciate they aren''t the force they were, but I''m not ready to deride them yet.

I love our club as much as the next fan, but lets be realistic Liverpool are far more likely to win things over the next few years than we are, even if they currently are doing badly. For the two players in question, if Liverpool are interested they would be the biggest club they could sign for and expect to actually get in the side on a regular basis.

Love liverpools strategy, they buy average players at up to 5 times their market value to then sell them on at a massive loss or loan them out. Then they buy a player they let walk away from the club for 6 million quid. Can''t work out why they can''t afford that new stadium!

Have to say, Ince isn''t massively overpriced at 6m. By joining pool, they probably have a resell value of 3-5m anyway. So the risk reward for a ''promising'' player, isn''t too bad.

With U21 not needing to be named on the 25man registration system, it means that now in today''s climate, promising players like Ince have value just in the fact he doesn''t need to be named in the 25man list.

More importantly though, would be why he left Pool in the first place, only to kick on with his career in the Championship, to be resigned... surely just an expensive way to loan someone out.

While we''re at it why don''t we go all out and say that we can''t get Hooper either for those in fairyland and we won''t be getting Austin or Rhodes or whoever else will cost £6/7m+..

That''s probably why we''re not being linked with them..whereas we''re being linked with the likes of Graham/Cameron Jerome/CMS/Bridcutt/Curtis Davies and some randoms from abroad

On another note, I see Stoke are linked with Lee Chung Yong..would love to see him here, but I know we won''t get him because we already have Hoolahan/Snoddy/Pilks, but he is a class player and was awesome for Bolton in the Prem..if Stoke don''t get him (or anyone else) I''d love for us to try and get him in summer to add real quality competition to those positions

If Sturridge was the player everyone, including he, thinks him to be, then he might have made a go of it at either Man City or Chelsea.

I know both of the above go for over-priced overseas players which has held him back-either that or he''s been played out of position-but I can''t help wondering if he is going to have a similarly frustrating time at Liverpool if he goes there. He and Ched were going to be the next "big things" at Man City, and, before the oil man took over, would probably have been their front pairing. An interesting move-I hope he doesn''t go the way of Henderson and Downing.

Dont really think we had a chance. Not for that price anyway. We might have had the resources for ince but where would he fit in at the moment? Just not worth it.

We are allowed to buy players to improve the squad...

Three wingers is all we have, most positions are covered by two players, not LW.

Just because Pilks and Snod are doing well at the moment doesn''t mean we shouldn''t by or don''t need a fourth winger. And if we are going to buy one, we want one as good or better, no use buying lesser players as we have plenty of those already.

We cannot buy Ince or Sturridge ............. Good!

I''ll be happy for our scouting system to bring forward another name we have little heard of who has the same impact as the last one.

Surman can play LW, a little deeper the Pilks granted but its not worth buying an extra player over.

It would always be worth having someone with the quality of Tom Ince or Sturridge at Norwich - but both well out of our price range at the moment I would suspect.

The club did a lot of business in the summer so not sure there is a huge amount of money knocking around in the coffers this January - there certainly won''t be any transfers in until at least a few players head out the door.

Surman can''t play LW, he is not never has been and never will be a winger.

At best he''s a wide midfielder, but he moves inside a lot, and not further up the field like Pilks, in the middle section. He''s a completely different player, the only similarity is he does get into the box occasionally.

It is worth buying another player, if one of our three wingers gets a long term term injury we have no proper back up. And if one of the remaining two picked up a knock, suspension, needed a rest, wasn''t playing well we would be a poorer side. If we signed another competent winger the chances of that are much lower.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Surman can''t play LW, he is not never has been and never will be a winger. At best he''s a wide midfielder, but he moves inside a lot, and not further up the field like Pilks, in the middle section. He''s a completely different player, the only similarity is he does get into the box occasionally. It is worth buying another player, if one of our three wingers gets a long term term injury we have no proper back up. And if one of the remaining two picked up a knock, suspension, needed a rest, wasn''t playing well we would be a poorer side. If we signed another competent winger the chances of that are much lower.[/quote]

I agree with this Ginger - I said in the summer that if Norwich want to play two out and out wingers everyweek then 3 players in those positions isn''t enough. Snodgrass and Pilkington generally cover the most distance in every game and will need to be rested at times. There is no one pushing Pilkington for his place at the moment and his performances have been very hit and miss so far (although much more hit in the last few games).

Wouldn''t be surprised if one of the Murphy twins gets a run out against Posh to see if they can realistically provide a little bit of cover. Maybe a loan for a young winger would be a good idea.

Yes, we need another winger, especially if we are going to continue with the formation we are using at the moment.

But we seem to have a good scouting system in place so isn''t it realistic to see what they come up with?

Another unknown like Tettey would suit me fine.

A young winger on loan will do us no good - if he''s good enough we will lose him back to his parent club and if he isn''t good enough we won''t want him anyway!

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Yes, we need another winger, especially if we are going to continue with the formation we are using at the moment. But we seem to have a good scouting system in place so isn''t it realistic to see what they come up with? Another unknown like Tettey would suit me fine. A young winger on loan will do us no good - if he''s good enough we will lose him back to his parent club and if he isn''t good enough we won''t want him anyway![/quote]

A loan will provide a cheap, risk free option for a position were we have a strong first choice player but lack someone to cover. A loan will plug a gap in the squad short-term so funds can be concentrated on getting in a player who is of higher priority. Rather than splitting the say £3m - £4m left for players (I have no idea if this is the amount) and bringing in a player on a contract with long-term wage liabilities, get in someone who is good can play a few games when needed for considerably less and spend the rest of the money on getting in someone of a higher quality.

Loans are an effective way to help manage limited resources - would be great if the club had enough money to bring in every player they need on a permanent basis, but those days are a long way off (if ever possible). Get a loan in for 6 months and then bring in someone in the summer when prices are lower.

Tettey was hardly an ''unknown'' a Norwegian international playing for one of the bigger clubs in France. He played against England not that long ago so hardly took someone with extensive knowledge to discover him. Think most clubs had been put off signing him due to a long run of injuries whilst at Rennes lead to him losing his place.

[quote user="York Canary"]Lee Chung Yong on loan, perm in summer. Done. Competition on both sides and 2nd striker/in the hole. Wasted at Bolton. Class
[/quote]

Agree with you that Lee is a good player (although has been very, very average this season) but will hard to get him out of Bolton - he has a contract until 2015 and promised the club he would stay for at least one season in the Championship after they extented his contract whilst he was injured.

I''m unsure whether he is the same player after breaking his leg, he has been in and out of the Bolton team who are struggling at the wrong end of the Championship.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="York Canary"]Lee Chung Yong on loan, perm in summer. Done. Competition on both sides and 2nd striker/in the hole. Wasted at Bolton. Class[/quote]

Agree with you that Lee is a good player (although has been very, very average this season) but will hard to get him out of Bolton - he has a contract until 2015 and promised the club he would stay for at least one season in the Championship after they extented his contract whilst he was injured.

I''m unsure whether he is the same player after breaking his leg, he has been in and out of the Bolton team who are struggling at the wrong end of the Championship.

[/quote]A lot of people are in and out with Dougie Freedman and his rotation policy though to be honest..I''m sure he could step it up in the Prem again with the lads here around him. As for staying at Bolton, you''re right he promised to stay for the season as you say, but summer is a possible time to get him. They don''t look like they''re going anywhere near the top 6 right now. However, the priority is obviously a striker so I''d imagine everything else is on the back-burner.

Ince is a very good player but the price is inflated because it''s January. Only fair on Blackpool to get that sort of money with a couple of things taken into account. They took a chance on a young player that Liverpool deemed not good enough, they paid 500k and the fact that it''s January so they should get more money for him because he''s being taken from them at a time when they might not find a good enough replacement and it could massively disrupt their season as he''s quite the influential player there.

Sturridge has always struck me as slightly arrogant. At times believing his own hype as a young star. I believe he will be at his best as a player when he''s 26-28, once he''s lost the ego a bit.