Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Villa's compensation for Lambert agreed

"Paul Lambert, Norwich City and Aston Villa have agreed settlement in respect of the dispute regarding Paul Lambert’s departure from Norwich City, whereby Villa will pay Norwich City the original amount as agreed in the contract between Paul Lambert and Norwich City, and Norwich City will pay Paul Lambert the bonus he was entitled to after completion of the 2011/12 season.

This represents a final settlement of all claims and disputes between the parties. No further comment will be made."

[quote user="QHcanary"]Anyone got an idea of what this means in pounds and pence?[/quote]At the time of his leaving the figure being quoted was £1 Million. I don;t know if that is correct though.

[quote]

Villa have paid us 1.7 million  we have paid lambert £450,000 OTBC

[/quote]A nice top up for the January striker fund, if those figures are correct.

As expected, this does rather suggest those Vanilla fans were talking crap on here earlier in the season, they knew nothing. No idea what the figures are, or whether those above are right, but there is little doubt Villa have come out of it out of it anything other than out of pocket.

I don''t suppose well see too many of their supporters ''gloating'' on here tonight.

We have probably emerged from the whole thing out of pocket when you take into account the cost of recruting Chris Hughton from Birmingham. But I guess if you want to upgrade anything in life it costs money!

"If Villa will pay Norwich City the original amount as agreed in the contract between Paul Lambert and Norwich City, and Norwich City will pay Paul Lambert the bonus he was entitled to after completion of the 2011/12 season"

So if Spartacus is correct (and for the record I do believe him) I suspect that there was a £££ release clause that Villa had to pay for Lambert in addition to the notice period of one year on his one year rolling contract.

Maybe the compo/bonus is based on 50% of salary to Lambert and what we get back is 1 year''s salary x 2. Just guesses.

I’m sure Purple Canary will make sense of it all.

nfcwbm seems to be mcnallys stock response!

good to get it finalised.

Of course, when factoring CH in we have probably ended up making a net loss on the whole thing, but the point was that Villa and their supporters insisted that they would not be paying us anything. In actual fact, we have been paid our compo, Lambert his bonus, and of course we had already acted correctly (thankfully) and agreed with/paid Brum what they wanted. I cant help but think they are the net losers, and all the other stuff was completely unnecessary yet down to them.

The fundamental thing is that, not for the first time, Vanilla look like a bunch of cheapskates, trying to welch out of what they owe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-19839446

Not sure of some facts and figures with all of this. Bowkett said Lambert was suing for between £1.5 and 2 million. The BBC article today says this is bonus we owe him. Cant see how this could be that much?

Wazza - I think the main thing is that Lambert''s original claim was for breach of contract. The bonus will be for something such as a bonus he was getting if he kept us up, which will be significantly lower.

Now, if Lambert wanted £1.5-2mil for us breaching his contract, it would suggest that is how much his contract was worth at the moment he left the club.

It seems likely to me that Villa knew they didn''t have a leg to stand. So they ended up paying the value of lambert''s contract at the moment he left (around £1.5-£2million).

Lambert probably felt he didn''t have much of a shout for his claim that we breached his contract, or at least he felt it was not worth taking it to a tribunal. As such, we have given him the bonus that we owed him and left it at that.

Going off Spartacus'' figures (which I have no idea of whether they are right or not, but which seem reasonable within that framework I have just discussed), his contract was probably worth around £1.5-£2mil and his bonus was probably 1/3 or 1/4 of that. So we get £1.5-£2mil off Villa, and he gets around £500-700k for the bonus we owe him.

I could be massively out on the figures there, but the general framework seems about right, and the figures seem reasonable within that framework.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Paul Lambert gets his £800k bonus.

Norwich City get their £1.5m for Lambert, Culverhouse and Karsa.
[/quote]

Whether accurate I don''t know, but the figure given in the national press for the compensation we paid Birmingham City for Hughton, Trollope and Calderwood (and Chester?) was £2m.

I thought that the comp for Culverhouse and Karsa had been agreed earlier - ie before they were released, so I expected that this agreement related only to Lambert''s contract. However SDP may have more accurate info.Overall I''m not bothered now. So long as we didnt end up losing a significant sum of money its probably neither here nor there in the big financial picture for us. However, it seems clear that much of the bluster from Villa / Lambert was just that - just talking it up. Apparently we didnt have major flaws in his contract as some thought possible.We have moved on - well, I have anyway.

Good to get this sorted out and whatever the exact figures it''s a nice little boost to our January transfer fund.

Villa come out of this looking very shabby with their Chief Exec originally claiming that they weren''t going to pay any compensation. They tried the same dodge with McLeish from Birmingham the previous season.

Small, shabby, classless and petty.

If the season finished today we would receive £6m more than Villa. If that''s the situation at the end of the season then the few hundred thousand we paid in the equation to get CH et al would be well worth it.

Seems a good and fair result, especially as it also gives both club greater certaintly of available funds before the transfer window. Those attacking McNally of supposedly messing up Lambert''s contract without any evidence are looking somewhat foolish though.

A couple more thoughts on this if anyone is remotely interested.

1/ Seen a few comparisons mentioned on the www comparing the payoff that Swansea received for Rogers vs the one we have received for Lambert. Having a big £££ release clause in a contract in case of poaching by another club would potentially be in our interests but I’m assuming that Lambert would have had to have agreed this when his new contract was re-negotiated back in May 2011. And this time was just after one of his wobbles. (I know Alan Bowkett referred to only one, but I’m assuming Burnley was another). It may of course be possible that Lambert was already getting itchy feet and seeing greener grass so it may not have been in his interests for this clause to be in his contract. Especially if a potential suitor, such as Aston Villa could not afford to pay it.

2/ At the time of posting, still no official announcement on the AVFC site about the settlement between Lambert, Villa and City, although there are a couple of references to this on AVFC forums. I thought the timing of our press release seemed a little strange at 8.00pm on a Sunday evening with David McNally out of the office according to posts from his twitter feed. So why that time? Mischievously thinking, it could be that it was released at a time of maximum embarrassment to Villa as they’d had just taken a real shoeing at Chelsea. Or maybe there’s no good time over the Christmas period and it had to be announced sometime. Who knows?

The EDP link below speculated on the amount that Lambert was claiming.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/employment_lawyer_questions_former_norwich_city_boss_paul_lambert_s_compensation_claim_1_1573619