Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

Is this the time for us to get Curtis Davies?

Or do we not need him?

Birmingham are in deep doggy doo doo financially and this could be the time to strike .

I cannot see any future here for Ayala and obviously Ward, and even though Barney has done well, I would consider Bassong, Turner and Bennett in front of him tbh.

Davies might be an excellent acquisition and at a very good price

having bassong, turner bennett and davies would give us 4 good alternatives so would be happy with that and releasing the others.

If it comes at the cost of not securing a striker then I would say we should wait - making him a nice to have instead of a must have  

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

having bassong, turner bennett and davies would give us 4 good alternatives so would be happy with that and releasing the others.

If it comes at the cost of not securing a striker then I would say we should wait - making him a nice to have instead of a must have  

[/quote]

If Davies comes here, would he be first choice?    Bassong and Turner have done well - as has Bennett when required.   Barnett is also a useful back up - and we have R. Martin too who is no mean central defender.  Personally, don''t think we need him.

no - I dont see Davies as automatic first choicer - but 4 players we have confidence in battling for 2 spots keeps them all on their toes.  I see him as better than barnett,  ward and ayala.

The price is key,  if we can get him cheaply then perfect but its not the highest priority to strengthen at the mo (striker, full backs, centre midfield,  wide players) but sometimes you have to  take a bargain opportunity IF it arises (whittaker springs to mind) 

Sorry crabman but I think that''s not on at the moment.

We have enough there with Bassong, Turner, Barnett and R. Martin. That''s the best set of options we have had for years (and years.) 

Although I was very keen on getting him in the summer we now have Bass. and Turner performing well. Neither are we  yet in a position where we can overload the wages bill.

We just need a striker right now IMO. That''s a priority. The second need is to unload a few ... if possible.

Neither am I  prepared to write off Ayala just yet though. He is a cultured youngster with promise who might well return here the finished article.

["Highland Canary"]Spend the money on strikers and another cover GK.

Probably the best course of action cause with Bennett, Barnett, Martin and Whittiker able to cover we''re OK for central defenders!

Well, you can never have enough quality centre-backs. Some have already said that they don''t rate Davies. Up until fairly recently, I would have agreed. But not now.

I realised that whenever I saw him play for other clubs in the premier league he was played out of position as a full-back. Whilst he CAN deputise there, he looked out of place and off the pace.

However, now that I have seen him play centre-back, I realise his qualities. Pace, strength, composure, athleticism and leadership. Most importantly, he is an organiser and a level head and that is both a rare and invaluable asset regardless of what division you play in.

It occurs to me that without Bassong, we do not really have anyone who could be considered a defensive leader. Russell Martin does an admirable job of it, but does not quite have the organisational skills nor quite the level head of Bassong. Likewise, Barnett is a real athlete and powerhouse, Turner is a strong, powerful unit and Bennett has excellent defensive technique and potential. But none are as composed with the ball or can be considered organisers.

Its safe to assume that without "The Rock" Bassong, we are less formidable defensively. We are always one injury, or perhaps a trip to the African Cup of Nations (from next season on), away from a much weakened defense. Curtis Davies, whilst he may not be quite as good, could represent a safe and experienced alternative to Bassong as he possesses the same assets.

Provided that a good price can be reached that doesn''t get in the way of other more urgent transfers, it could be a good move.

I havnt seen enough of him recently to really know his quality, but presuming he is the class act many say he is, then I would bring him in along with an additional striker. Why, well because I actually dont see us having the depth of strength some see, sure we have strength in numbers, but if we are looking to improve we need doubled up quality at least in every position. At the moment, we have a very decent partnership.....Bassong could well be the best CB to have ever worn the shirt and Turner of late is looking very solid and compliments Bassong superbly...they have rasied the bar. To be honest, even though I rate him highly I really dont see Russell Martin as coming close to these two, Barnett is inconsistent and still learning the game and Bennett is raw, still learning but with loads of potential. So, yes, Id love to see another quality CB to add to what we have, with Bennett and Ayala for the future, Martin being an ideal squad player filling in at RB or CB......leaving us to release Barnett (many will disagree I''m sure) and Ward, who I thought generally put in a good shift for us, but......looks very leggy against the very best in this league.

What shocks me, is just how quickly our club is raising its standards all round, players who were good enough not that long ago are now having to move on as we seek the next level of player, fantastic! 

Davies and Bassong would be amazing partnership. However, I feel it was 2 out of Bassong, Turner, Davies in the summer and realistically we can''t afford to have one of the three regularly sitting on the bench, along with Bennett.

Also for the record, I wouldn''t like to think of Bennett being any lower in the pecking order. I feel he will develop massively for the presence of Bassong in the squad, hopefully fullying his undoubted promise. (at 22 and already made 222 professional appearances, clearly demonstrates there is something about him).

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

What pleases me, is just how quickly our club is raising its standards all round, players who were good enough not that long ago are now having to move on as we seek the next level of player, fantastic! 

[/quote]

agreed - and its no criticism of those being moved on,  they have got us where we are but with an increasingly likely 3rd consecutive prem season beckoning progressively improving the whole squad is the way to go. 

Barnett is nowhere near Premiership standards; I''ve had this debate many times on here but it''s no coincidence that his time in and out of the team was in stark contrast to our woeful defending and our storming run.If we can get Davies in cheaply then I''d welcome it. If one of Turner or Bassong gets injured then we do look a little light. I''m not saying that our defence is rubbish, just lacking depth in quality. Bassong and Turner are very good, Bennett is a useful back-up as is Cafu but Cafu is probably needed more on the right as Whittaker looks a little injury-prone. Ayala and Ward appear as good as gone.A new striker is paramount but if we can get Davies for a cut-price then snap him up and move on to the next transfer

I think it''s very likely that we will be bidding for him and the CH connection could swing it for us.

If Bassong gets injured we would struggle to be so miserly - I would welcome him but not at the expense of quality goal scorer from the continent.

I''d rather we kept Barnett to the end of the season then had Ayala come back giving us Turner, R.Bennett, Ayala and Bassong. Personally I dont see Davies as a significant improvement to spend the money on him, thats need elsewhere. Of course he could sign and look a world beater but i remember Barnett looking extremely good in the Championship also Hughton didnt seem to push the boat out to get him in the summer.

well if Birmingham are selling, why don''t we go for Redmond... we need some more pace up top. I also think that we need another winger (preferably left) Hughton seems reluctant to play E. Bennett on the left and contstantly brings him on for Snodgrass in the last minuite.. no matter how poorly Pilks is playing (he fades badly in the second half) hughton never subs anyone on for him. We need another option on the wing.

Redmond would be a great shout.

Also at 18, will be a few years development time before needing to worry about taking place in 25man squad.

[quote user="fried_chicken"]I also think that we need another winger (preferably left) Hughton seems reluctant to play E. Bennett on the left and contstantly brings him on for Snodgrass in the last minuite.. no matter how poorly Pilks is playing (he fades badly in the second half) hughton never subs anyone on for him. We need another option on the wing.[/quote]If Norwich need a pacey winger then they ought to run the rule over Motherwell''s Chris Humphrey. In terms of value he might make an able deputy to Pilkington or Snodgrass, plus his contract runs out next summer.