Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Russell Martin up front?

I think the original poster may have been being a bit tongue in cheek - BUT - Russell Martin has scored as many Premier League goals in the last two games as Messrs Jackson, Morison, Kane and Hoolahan have managed between them in the whole season so far.

I''m being tongue in cheek too, but it''s still a pretty remarkable statistic!

now if whittaker was fit to take right back why not in the immediate short term?

he is just a goal of being top scorer afterall and is finishing more lethally than the nominated strikers. what could we lose if we tried?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]now if whittaker was fit to take right back why not in the immediate short term? he is just a goal of being top scorer afterall and is finishing more lethally than the nominated strikers. what could we lose if we tried?[/quote]

All credibility?

Stick Bassong up there with him, he''s got a few too....if only Malky was still here....

no - not really; but if holt and moro remain injured he becomes an option later on in games if kane get tired? As I indicate it would only be a short term / immediate/ emergency option.

the big assumption is we have not signed any further strikers which i am sure will be remedied

Taking the question seriously, the answer has to be "why not?" He has always taken his goals well and the goal yesterday was one of the few bright pointys in the match for us. He now has half as many as all atrikers added together!

On reflection, however, there has to be some doubt. He tends to steal up unmarked, and if he was to start as striker, he could certainly not be unmarked, in both senses. Can you see him doing as well as he is up against some of giant thugs who call themselves central defenders? I doubt that he would be very effective.

Yeah why not. Natural finisher ;) no just no a defender is a defender end of. Let''s put bassong up there too. He scores from corners ?! Or bring back malky

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]

Chris Sutton was a defender....

I''d try Tettey in goal too.

[/quote]I was just going to add the Sutton fact!

Trying to put square pegs into round holes had a large bearing on our poor performance yesterday!

Russell Martins not a rightback, Ryan Bennetts not a rightback and Kane cannot effectively play as a lone striker!

Russell Martin is dangerous at corners and set pieces and long may it continue!

Did not Stuart Pearce once take off an outfield player, bring on his sub keeper and play David James up front for the last few minutes of a match?

That didn''t work either!

Didn''t Russ Martin start out as a striker in Brighton''s youth team, or did I just make that up?In any case:No!The board will have to speculate to accumulate and open the purse-strings for a striker.  Only Holt is of sufficient quality to remain (as much as it pains me to say as a historical Chris Martin fan), we need 3 new strikers.

erm......would be one of the biggest gambles of modern day football. Hughton has not got the balls.For me. the original post is brilliant. Why not?

Of all our non-strikers, Pilkington looks the best up front. His goals against Sunderland and Man United were top drawer.