Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

David Fox

Before I begin, I''d better mention that I''m a huge fan of Foxy (maybe too much) so my view of him may be slightly biased and blinkered.

I can see the arguments both for and against his inclusion in the team, obviously I would much rather see him there.

Hughton has found his system now in two holding players, and obviously Fox''s defensive play is certainly not his strong point. Although I would argue pairing him with a Tettey or Johnson would ensure there''s still a ball winner in the middle of the park.

So what are his strong points? Well, his ability to dictate the play would be the major one. Too often recently, such as the Brom and Swansea games, we''ve struggled to retain possession in the second half. Foxy is a calming influence who likes to move it quickly, can play it simple but also possesses the ability to ping a long ball with ease. Along with Wes, he has the knack of seeing a pass some of his team mates might not, his cross for Jacko against Pompey being a prime example. Plus his set piece delivery is excellent, which could prove handy if Snoddy''s not around.

Even if he''s not going to start games, bringing him on for 20-30 minutes seems to make sense to try and keep the ball at least. Although CH''s lack of a plan B and his inability to change things is another topic.

Although I''d like to see Foxy get more action, I''m not sure Hughton particularly rates him (alongside the likes of Simeon and Benno, also both very unlucky).

The decision to award him a new 2 year deal recently seems rather baffling if he''s not rated by our manager.

Anyway, here''s hoping the Norfolk Xavi gets to strut his stuff against the Posh.

I can see him playing, but perhaps not staying if someone bids for him. CH obviously has his ways and Fox doesn''t appear to fit them. He will be way off the pace by now with his lack of football. He needs to get games somewhere at this stage.

I think he''s off.

Which is a shame, because he''s been exactly what we need at times this season. Certainly a better option at DM than Howson, who for the last time is NOT A BLOODY DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER (and breathe).

Fox however can put his foot in well and his passing range is excellent. Would give Pilkington and Snodgrass so much more to feed off and in turn create chances for the necessarily isolated Holt.

Taking nothing away from Hughton''s gameplan, because it''s made us the best team we''ve ever been (sepia-toned Bayern Goss volley lovers will disagree, but players weren''t as fit then) but sometimes I fear a little more intuition and nous from the depths of midfield that the Tettey-Johnson dynamic doesn''t quite provide (they''re good passers, but no Foxy)

Ah well, trusting in Hughton

Your points are well made Flatcap, but I think it would be a mistake to let him go.

If we look to Hughton''s mantra about having competition for all positions........ Well at the start of the season Johnson and Tettey were seen as being competition for each other. Now they both start so we lack competition at DM. As you point out with understanable exasperation Howson is not a DM. So we can not expect him to be at his best when played there and a bit baffling why he is Hoots first choice to provide cover there. Possibly explained by Hoots displaying a tendency to play what he regards as his best players even if it means playing them out of position.

So Fox is the competition for that DM role unless Korey has come on enormously whilst on loan. Plus we probably need one other, I note the thread on the Celtic player. I do agree with your thoughts on what he could bring to the team, but his lack of game time is a concern should he now be called upon.

Hoots clearly does not rate him that highly though and as you say in Hughton we must trust.

Gotta play against posh aswell as others who have something to prove.

Rudd

Franconb bennett barnett tierney

Bennett fox howson murphy

Kane jackson