Sign in to follow this  
NCFC_Number_7

Quality Of Squad.

''Darrell Russell -> Andrew Crofts -> Jonny Howson''

I think if we want to establish our club as Premier League quality then we need to follow the trade, and go one more. Someone better than Howson.

That''s key to the club progressing in this league.

I think we need to do that in every position.

Garrido, Tettey, Ruddy, Bassong. Those players in my opinion are in that next level of quality above the rest of the team.

Signing players of Adam Johnson quality i think will push this club on furthur. Obviously things have to be done on a budget baring in mind.

But fans will only pick certain players. People dont want holt to be replaced, they just want a back up, thats not enough!

We need to look to get a better player in every position over 2 seasons. So 5 new starting players 1 season, 5/6 the next and keep that going. It keeps the club evolving for the best and keeps everyone on their toes. The only few players who we would struggle to replace for me are Ruddy, Bassong, Tetty(early season) and hoolahan everyone else is replaceable.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

But fans will only pick certain players. People dont want holt to be replaced, they just want a back up, thats not enough!

We need to look to get a better player in every position over 2 seasons. So 5 new starting players 1 season, 5/6 the next and keep that going. It keeps the club evolving for the best and keeps everyone on their toes. The only few players who we would struggle to replace for me are Ruddy, Bassong, Tetty(early season) and hoolahan everyone else is replaceable.

[/quote]

I don''t, I want a striker with good ability and at a young age so he can work with holt, then will be the main man when he retires or moves on

I couldn''t agree more with the OP.

I will defend Hooton''s transfer record to anyone, some great signings and most have worked out well. Don''t forget Bunn was signed as a back-up keeper - if we wanted a No.1 we would have spent more than £1m. It isn''t easy to sign top keepers when they know they will be the No.2.

Bassong, Tettey, Garrido, Snodgrass have been excellent IMO and a step up on the rest of the squad. If we can stay in the league this year then we will have a chance to sign another 5 or 6 players of that quality and really establish a squad of players with Premier League quality like West Brom - Odemwingie, Lukaku, Long, that''s the depth we need to look for.

DMcNally tweeted yesterday that suggestions of a £1m fee for mark bunn were very ill informed, suggesting it was nowhere near that fee.

The squad has improved - we need to do the same again now, with defensive midfield and striking options urgently required

Eh?! Bunn was signed as backup so that''s hardly going backwards. He''s simply a more mature version of Rudd and he''s actually played more than a handful of competitive first-team games before

i understand how everyone loves Grant Holt. i love him myself. He''s a great leader. and know''s what he''s doing. but in my opinion we need a step up from him. We need our own Suaréz, banging in 20+ a season.

Same with the whole of the midfield. the next level of quality is needed.

All good in theory sir,but we need to get to that next level of cash. Stay up this season and then hopefully we can really push on with much better quality of signings.

I think when all our back 5 are fit and selected they compliment each other really well. Ruddy, Garrido, Turner, Bassong and Whitaker no coincidence that after this unit has not been playing together we have not been picking up points as freely. trouble is we do not match that quality with replacement or further up the field in my opinion. Tettey has been average for well over a month Hoolahan is the only one who looks like he will make something happen on the ball away from set pieces but Hughton seems to have him down as the first change every week even if we need goals.....

Totally agree the formula is that you replace first team players who then become squad players etc.

I think two strikers are needed. One to be our star striker to push holty and one other who is close behind and really putting pressure on both of them. We need genuine strikers and we need not rely on our 4 goal holty, he needs to find the net and hoolahoops needs a few more goals.

Russell Martin has rocketed up our scoring charts, we need a striker to come in and score 10 goals in half a season

Looking forward to this window

Agreed Smooth. If we are to establish ourselves in the PL it''s quality we need. We nearly stayed up after we acquired Ashton. We need someone of equivalent or better quality this time, hopefully, in the team for the Newcastle game.

If we are really to make a mark in the Premiership we need to find players with skill and also with pace. None of our defenders is blessed with pace, and consequently they struggle with wingers and strikers who are.

In the midfield only Bennett is quick enough, - both Snodgrass and Pilks offer skills but not pace. Forward only Jackson has pace, but his shooting and heading is limited.

The problem is that pace and skill in a player command a premium price, which is why people like Moses get to the top, and why Van Persie is outstanding but very expensive.

The alternative, in the old expression, is to "let the ball do the work". If we lack a striker capable of getting to the ball passed between defenders, the alternative is something like our best this season - a 32 pass movement before a goal. If we lack pace in the defence, we have to be canny enough to make sure the ball never reaches opposing singers before we have someone on them. This requires tackling back effectively, as the best teams do. If our wingers make little progress, then backs must overlap, again as the best teams do.  This means that the team must play fully as a unit, passing well and not giving up possession easily, and confidently relying on each other. It means also that all have to run until they drop!

Can''t see Forster as being better than ruddy at all. Ruddy has proved himself in premier league. Scottish league is no better than championship. Anyway approach made with Swansea for Danny Graham apparently so that''s a step up from morison , Jackson if signed.

I remember Culverhouse saying we should emulate Stoke and being slated because who wants to watch Stoke?   The point Ian was actually making was a different one and he was right.

The club we should follow is Stoke but it''s the business model not the football one.  each window Stoke improve the squad and have done it systematically.  Etherington, Kenwynne Jones, Crouch and Adam.  We have done similarly over the last five windows and must improve the squad.  Whilst I understand and support the signing of Bunn, he is the exception.   All other purchases must improve the squad and push an existing player down the pecking order.   Otherwise there is no point.