Sign in to follow this  
NCFC_Number_7

Goalkeeper.

At John Ruddy''s absence i haven''t seen Mark Bunn do anything that Declan Rudd or even Jed steer could do just as well, maybe even better.

Mark Bunn was a waste of money in my opinion. Declan Rudd would''ve done just fine in my opinion.

Think of the experience he''d of gained by now.

I do fear that Declan and Jed will never get to play for us. Considering John Ruddy has what, 12 years left in him?

Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea all have 30 something goalkeepers as their number 1. They will easily have the cash, and probably the pulling power to lure Ruddy away.

The problem is that only 1 of Rudd and Steer will be the #1. The other will be the understudy! So 1 will move on no doubt, but not for a couple of years yet. They are only 19 and 20/21 so not really ready to start as gk''s yet. Most keepers peak at 28-32 so they have ages yet. Most keepers dont start playing regular for their club until they are 23/24. thats 3 years away for Rudd in that time Ruddy will probably have gone to Everton to replaceHoward!

In my opinion if Ruddy was at a bigger team. he''d be number 1 england goalie. thats the thing that would lure him away from norwich. and yeah they are young. but Rudd i think could hack it at this level and be better than Bunn, considering we have the england goalkeeping coach. bunn is too small and doesn''t command his area.

You''d assume that Dave Watson has some sort of say in who''s potentially a better keeper and maybe it''s his advice that made us bring someone ahead of Rudd and Steer

Precisely YC.

Rudd and to a greater extent Steer are still very young in footballing terms and throwing them in at the deep end obviously doesn''t do their development that much good otherwise Watson would''ve advocated it.

Mark Bunn is an excellent goalkeeper. He''s not as commanding as John Ruddy but his agility and handling are probably better. We do need a keeper like Ruddy because his agility and handling are still good and he stands up to be counted when balls are flying into the box.

If we do lose Ruddy in the summer for x million pounds...it will be the cause and effect of being a relatively small fish in a big pond...but it''s not the end of the world- Bunn can cope.

Look what Watson did for Ruddy''s game, when he was making similar errors to the ones Bunn is making now.

What about brad Friedal in a short term loan deal?

Probably not going to get a game at spurs until Europa league restarts?

who cares who''s better out of bunn or rudd. The reason why rudd is out on loan is because of his age to get a full season  of football. Hughton didn''t realise that ruddy would be out for half the season.

''waste of money''  hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at least rudd is getting game time.

Spurs in the league cup? And ill take Watson, england GK coach, opinion over yours any day of the week. If im totally honest our footballing intelligence in Norfolk lives up to our reputation for being thick as pig....

Bunn worries me. Positioning poor, indecisive and has a tendency to flap. Looks a bit like a startled rabbit at times. I''m not usually harsh on players but I do happen to agree that the back ups we had already would likely have been able to have performed as well as Bunn.

Bunn made a few outstanding saves in the West Ham game, and one late on in the Man City game.

He has the potential to be quality. Just needs to cut out the errors.

I think Mark Bunn suffers from the "not being John Ruddy" syndrome. He is a very capable backup GK who like every backup GK is going to make mistakes, there aren''t many in this league who aren''t (Freidel is obviously the best backup GK)

What we have to realise is we have the current England GK coach who knows a bit about goalkeeping and I''d be hugely surprised if Hughton didn''t consult him before the start of the season on whether he thought Rudd/Steer could make the step up, and obviously he thought not hence bringing in Bunn.

If Ruddy wouldn''t have got injured I reckon we would have seen Rudd and Steer both go on loan which would certainly aid there development because both have potential (Steer has more than Rudd imo)