Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Sorry but Clattenburg was NOT to blame!!

after watching MOTD last night and seeing the penalty decisions I agree with the pundits he got two out of three right, Bennet was stupid and it was a pen, tettey was not fouled, Reid''s handball was not deliberate but he did get Kane''s pen wrong, it WAS a pen!!! I know I will get slated for this and accused of all sorts but I would ask, how many peoplee actually know the laws of the game? As an ex ref, the thing I used to ask when people contested a decision was would you want the decision? The laws say nothing about stopping the game or putting the ball out, would you have wanted the game stopped if it was the other way round?Cue the usual abuse from BW''s cat and the like!!

"but he did get Kane''s pen wrong, it WAS a pen!!!"That says it all, if given we would have come away with a point, how was Clattenburg not to blame ?

I think one of the biggest gripes some will have is that Ryan Bennet''s wrestling in the opening minutes we be mirrored game after game at Carrow Road against Holt but referees will turn a blind eye or issue a casual warning as players trot away for the goal kick / corner.

Personally I would doubt that a penalty would have been awarded if it had been Vidic, Terry or Kompany rather than Bennet.

Lets be honest how many referees do know the the laws of the game ?

Seems to me its about interpretation, who is playing and which side of the bed the ref. get out of (or Fergie kicks them out of!!)

Appeal for everything or you will get nothing!

You will see a Bennets type ''tackle'' 20 or 30 times during a game Baldy, especially at corners, how many penalties are given? Exactly!

And As for Tetty, foul or not, the game should have been stopped, Tetty layed motionless. he stopped the game for less when it was a West Ham player .

I am not one of those blaming the ref either Bboy, we didn''t turn up for the first half.

I agree with your points and we have to stop looking to portion the blame on someone else. Like I said, we didn''t turn up as a team and what Hughton was doing with defence begs belief. Was Garrido really dropped to put more height in the defence, as from what I saw on MOTD they got behind us too easily,so much for height issues!!

Your right baldy boy, and I have to say, the only ones to blame for our lacklustre defeat is the 11 ''men'' on the pitch that just didn''t turn up yesterday.... It was an awful display, we never looked like scoring and the 2-1 score flattered us!! It was the biggest waste of £39 I''ve ever spent on norwich!!

sorry Wiz, he did not lay motionless at all, if he had the game WOULD have been stopped!!! Nothing says the game has to be stopped other than a SERIOUS or HEAD injury, this was neither!!! There was still enough time to get back in the game if Hughton had changed it, but he didnt yet again, blame him and the players they were the ones who got it wrong!

What players want is consistency. As long as those decisions are made every game, every week, then they all know where they stand. If you get the microscope out on that Bennett incident then a pen could (was!) be given, or on another day a foul against Bennett might have been given, or as most sensible refs do, call it 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, and let play carry on.

I have been a Rugby ref and Ref''s assessor, so can sympathise sometimes with Footy refs, but some of those decisions were bizarre.

Players can accept that you cannot get every decision 100% right, and perhaps there is a subtle difference in how Rugby (heirarchy as well as players) treats it''s refs as opposed to football, and to accompany that, the flexibility (using common sense and man management skills) the rules offer the repsective referees.

Can you not read?

No one was blaming him, they were just saying he was shocking. N those were the three main decisions, you do realise other things happened in the game? There was a foul Pilks not given in a dangerous area for a nearly identical foul to the penalty they won.

Blame or no blame, I don''t know how that fool keeps his job.

Hardly a week goes by without him being involved in some controversy or major contention.

Two games with us, two major game-changing controversies for example.

He seems to be a weird person who must be very thick skinned to put up with the costant criticism he gets.

If the Bennett one was a pen. then the Reid/Bassong one was a pen. on two counts as Reid is clearly backing Bassong away from the ball. Dublin said on motd that Bassong is "all over" Reid...Yes, that`s because he`s legitimately trying to head the ball whilst Reid is barging him out of the way- hence the ball lands on his hand when it really should have been an aerial dual.

So everyone seems agreed that Clatt failed to give us a clear pen at the start of the second half when we were 2-0 down. So if we''d got back to 2-1 just 5 minutes into the second half would we have got a draw or a win out go the game? I think yes, having seen the whole game not just 2 mins on MOTD.

So Clatt not to blame? How''s that?

I think the more we highlight the fact that refs are never giving us pens at away game, the better the chance that they''ll start giving us the odd one or two. The home crowds reaction certainly helped Clatt decide to give the pen yesterday

Interesting how every match report from people who watched the whole game, not just the highlights on MOTD, seem to suggest Norwich were hard done by on the main decisions.

Strange how there are some posters on this board who only turn up and produce multiple posts saying similar things when things aren''t going particulary well...

Do people expect Norwich to win every game? Or beat a West Ham team with a good home record whilst 5 or 6 regular starters are missing from the team? Fatigue has obviously hit the squad pretty hard after a very tough Christmas period - hopefully Norwich can rest a few players against Posh and refresh some tired legs as well as getting in a few new faces over the month.

Having just looked at the "highlights" I have one question, irrespective of the "blame" argument. The defender in the Kane incident doesn''t get the ball. It runs through to the keeper without either player touching it. So isn''t that either a penalty or a booking for a blatant dive? Kane has either gone down because he''s been fouled or because he''s thrown himself down.

If you want to see fouls similar to Ryan Bennett''s yesterday look at the ones that Ryan Shawcross did on Fellaini before Fellaini finally lost it and retaliated. None of those resulted in an Everton penalty.

Also take a close look at Reid''s left hand and tell me what he is holding.

In one way I am pleased to see a penalty given for shirt holding, I just wish it had not been at our expense. I just wonder how many similar incidents yesterday went unpunished.

All players, managers and supporters ask for is consistency.

Personally I would love to see ALL offences where shirts are being held penalised .......... but I always was a dreamer.

He makes s*** decisions in most games and is not in the same class as other refs. That''s the truth right there

If he gives the obvious handball to us then it changes the game most likely. We didn''t perform to our usual level and we were missing our spine

RUDDY - JOHNSON - HOLT plus Whittaker. It''s a shame, but we''ll move on and hopefully the cup gives us a break in a way and we come back to go on another decent run like we did after the international break last time. Up the performance and get our settled defence and first XI back (obviously without Ruddy though who is a big miss)

We were poor yesterday and probably deserved nothing but anyone who thinks that the penaly was the correct descision is either an idiot of has never seen a game before.

If that was a pen Holt should have had dozens this season alone. By the letter of the law maybe (although generally always as in this case 6 of one half a dozen of the other) but until any referees start to penalise this with a penalty anywhere in the world regularly then this is pathetic.

Don''t even get me started on Dion, hope he''s never on TV again. Rather see Andy Townsend likely to be more even handed to Norwich !

and if Holt should have got dozens we should have conceded dozens too, it was just that for once the ref pulled it up, just cannot believe that people are blaming the ref when we had plenty of time to get back in the game but failed to do so, what is evident and rightly pointed out by people is that there is a fatigue within the first team, that could and should have been addressed  by Hughton but he seems so reluctant to change anything and I know people say its what he does that matters but its also what he doesnt do that matters, the likes of elliott Bennett, Fox and Jackson could and should have had more game time!

Put it another way then

If Clattenburg took it upon himself to start awaarding penalties for ''those sort'' of incidents, then he should have warned both sides before the kick off, that he would be red hot on those decisions.

Those challenges go on, EVERY single game, and by the letter of the law, pens/free kicks could be given all day long. There is a limit though, and common sense should apply. I seriously doubt that Clatternburg was directed  from up above to clamp down, as all Clubs would have been given a directive etc beforehand, so therefore it was down to his own mindset (ego or whatever you want to call it) to ''want'' to make a call.

1st incident of the day, 50/50 both players having a (very mini) wrestle, Clattenburg should have dealt with that so much better.  

those sort of penalties are given occasionally but ryan is defintelt unlucky as it is just about the softest one you will see. yes if thats one so should others be

the worst one was from the same corner as reids handball - the shove in kanes back was blatant

So you can virtually pull a shirt over an opponent in your penalty area while also stopping him jumping for the ball and expect the ref not to give a penalty. If that had been a foul on Holt I''d have certainly been calling for a penalty. I just hope more refs have the guts to award them rather than waiting for the likes of Fellaini to exact their own retribution.

Whereas I feel I agree with Paul Moy that these incidents should be punished there is no way that ANY Premiership referee would have given that as a penalty against ANY of the top clubs on their own grounds.

And that is where the problem is!

People say the players want consistency from the referees but we don''t get consistent performances from the players either. Mistakes will happen in the game and we need to look at changing what we can change and dealing with the rest.

Did anyone see the ref in the WIgan v AVFC over the holiday period, shocking decisions were made that didn''t go Wigan''s way but they got on with it and got a positive result.

So it''s not only us who get these shocking decisions, we just failed to turn up in the first 45 minutes which compounded the issue.

Why are we not asking why Hughton left it so long to change it.

Have you failed to notice that Wigan are yet another ''small'' club?

I can accept that referees make mistakes, the problem I have is they always seem to make these mistakes in favour of the larger clubs!

The consistency we want from the  refs, comes from them applying the same decisions to rules which are supplied to them, by the lawmakers!

Players are inconsistent because of many variables, which are not written down for them to follow!

Villa aren''t a big club either though. The only consistent thing is the standard of refereeing is poor!

Life isn''t perfect so why should football be?

I''m obviously missing something here.  For their penalty; Vaz Te was backing into Bennett and had an arm across Bennett''s chest, Bennett was thus about to fall backwards and grabbed Vaz Te''s shirt - a clear case of six of one and half a dozen of the other.  No penalty in my opinion.  Dion last night played for his pundit''s place on MOTD - if it had been on BBC East he would have said same as me!  Noble himself said the Hammers players were surprised - that says it all.

Agree Tettey incident was not a foul - we had several chances to get in a strong challenge - why didn''t we, that was the issue!

Our penalty number 1 - seen them given, seen more not!  However consistency over these 50:50 decisions would suggest that if theirs was then so was this.  Clattenburg thus got either this wrong, or theirs wrong!

Our penalty number 2 - clearly wrong decision by Clattenburg.

So in my view Clattenburg got 2 our of 4 wrong whichever way you look at it.  On that basis alone, such a small hit rate warrants him a poor ref. 

Baldyboy is right to be concerned over performance over first 60 minutes - RMartin has said the team are equally so.  The penalty obviously rattled us, and gave Wet Sham confidence.  We didn''t react as badly agaisnt Man Cini after being hit for 2 quick goals though, so it was disappointing we reacted so poorly.  However it is only one bad performance out of four over Xmas period, for a team IN OUR POSITION.  That may not be good enough for some (in truth I''m one of them), but no need to push the panic button all the same.