Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Goodbye Fox, Korey, et al?

Given the apparent interest in Kayal of Celtic, even if he doesn''t eventually move to CR, what are the implications for our present midifielders?

It seems possible that Butterfield has one more loan period to prove himself, before being off-loaded from the crammed midfield squad. The same may be true of Lappin, Adeyemi, Korey, and even Fox. CH seems to like to play with two wingers, even if there is only one striker to nod the ball home, so there is place for only two central midfielders, apart from Wes. Johnson and Tettey have this their place, keeping out Howson, Fox, Surman in the process. (There are others who can play in the centre if necessary, including Whittaker.)

The apparent willingness to consider Kayal at a price higher than we have previously paid seems to suggest that CH is not satisfied with several of the present incumbents, who may have to leave or be relegated to outside the 25 declared squad, - a kind of living death? If you add another striker, or even two, then the pressure for a clear out becomes even stronger.

It will be interesting to see if Kayal comes, or another player if the Celtic move falls through, whether there is a simultaneous transfer of peripheral players - Ward, Ayala, plus those mentioned above. This will certainly apply in the Summer when awe would expect to sign a few new players.

I don''t really think that Fox and Lappin fit into CH''s plans, so one of those going out on loan could provide a place for Kayal. Korey and Adeyemi both qualify as under 25 for this season, so won''t be taking up one of the 25 places. As for Kayal, this is how his Wiki site describes his play:

"Kayal is a central midfielder but he is capable of performing various different roles within the position. He can play as a defensive midfielder, sitting in front of the back four and stifling the opposition or as a box-to-box midfielder, protecting the defenders as well as supporting the forwards. Although he is more renowned for his defensive capabilities than attacking, he is still able to contribute well to going forward. Kayal is a tenacious, hard working midfielder, known for high stamina level, aggressive tackling and combatitive edge, he also has great passing ability and quick feet. Ex-Celtic and Israel midfielder Eyal Berkovic, described him as being: "Perfect for British football. He is strong technically, very aware but really competitive...He will have no problem adapting to the style in Scotland - he will love the speed and aggression."

Sounds like an ideal partner for Tettey, but he is valued at around 5m!

makes the decision to give Fox a new contract bizarre, should have saved some money on his wages and let him go!

This is a bit of a weird one as central midfield is really the one area of the pitch (aside from goal) where we''re fairly well-stocked with Johnson and Tettey imperious and Howson on standby with the addition of Butterfield and Fox - or even Wes - if we''re strapped.

I do agree that certain players look like they''re heading towards the exit

1 more loan to prove himself? His loans are nothing to do with proving he is ''worthy'' of being at our club. He not long ago returned from a long standing injury. The best course for him to take is to play as much as possible while getting to fitness. We can''t play him the amount he needs to be played while he isn''t at 100%. But he can do just fine in the championship as he works his way back up to match fitness.

Hughton wants 2 top players for each position. He has that I''m each defensive pos. With the possible exception of leftback. With the right wing and the forwards. For hoolahans role we have howson but more preferably butterfield. Whereas i think hoots prefers howson as a more attacking option of johnson. A box to box midfielder like kayal can be slotted in to play more or less anywhere in the midfield area.

And as for smith and tom, they''re very young and promising players. The only place they''re going is on loan.

I do agree however that lappin and surmans time are unfortunately up.

[quote user="baldyboy"]makes the decision to give Fox a new contract bizarre, should have saved some money on his wages and let him go![/quote]When lambert left we automatically enabled +1 year extensions to all expiring contracts, due to the fact the board didn''t know if the new guy wanted them or not and it seems he did not!

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

This is a bit of a weird one as central midfield is really the one area of the pitch (aside from goal) where we''re fairly well-stocked with Johnson and Tettey imperious and Howson on standby with the addition of Butterfield and Fox - or even Wes - if we''re strapped.

[/quote]If Fox/Johnson was one player, he''d be immense. That is the sort of player we need along side Tettey or even Howson.

[quote user="baldyboy"]makes the decision to give Fox a new contract bizarre, should have saved some money on his wages and let him go!
[/quote]

Having played in 28 league games and been instrumental in our highest finish for nearly two decades I think he earned that contract extension. I''m glad you''re not my guv''nor baldy!

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

[/quote]

It is not so much ''all round'' central midfielders that Hughton seems to favour (like Fox & Surman) but tougher defensive midfielders to shield the back 4 (Tettey & Johnson). He has tried to use Howson there but really, in my eyes, he is more comfortable in the Wes/Butterfield position.

Fox, like Surman, doesn''t fit into the formation Hughton has settled on here. 

Like has been said, if Fox had been let go, that could have been a mistake that came back to bite us on the bum. If he does go this month, I suspect we would get at least a small fee for him (enough to cover the wages since the summer?),

I wouldn''t write Korey off too soon. I think he''s a Hughton type player. Hard working, energetic, enthusiastic, good footballing brain, strong in the tackle & with a decent shot on him, he can play in a variety of positions. Whether he''ll make it in the Prem or not I don''t know, but time is still on his side & I would hope our manager can bring the best out in him.

[quote user="baldyboy"]makes the decision to give Fox a new contract bizarre, should have saved some money on his wages and let him go![/quote]He probably won''t be on the highest of wages, so he''d be worth a fair bit more with a longer contract. This way he can at least be a Lappin-type squad player and/or be sold for a more reasonable fee than would otherwise have been the case.

People need to realise that our squad players are just that.  They are waiting/working towards getting to the first team either through working on fitness or areas of their game that needs improving.    People on the fringes of the squad are not there to be thrown away imo.   If any of Fox/Korey or any of them get to the first team it will be because they have been working behind the scenes to be given a chance. 

The only reason to sell on imo would be if any of them were not gaining from being out of the team.    People get itchy if certain players don''t appear in the first team and discount them.   This is disrespectful to those players - especially Fox who has been terrific for us and is presumably working hard to get into first team contention.    We have a good squad - yes we can buy one or two to strengthen the squad,  but a wholesale clearout of fringe  players would be detrimental to the squad.   

Jackson comes into this category too.   People write him off, but he has been on the bench more often than not and will have been working at his game in the meantime.    Players are not robots and are capable of improving.    If Fox/Jackson or any of them get a first team chance it will be because they deserve it.    Throw away our squad players at your peril - we won''t be replacing them with superstars so what is the point?

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

[/quote]

It is not so much ''all round'' central midfielders that Hughton seems to favour (like Fox & Surman) but tougher defensive midfielders to shield the back 4 (Tettey & Johnson). He has tried to use Howson there but really, in my eyes, he is more comfortable in the Wes/Butterfield position.

Fox, like Surman, doesn''t fit into the formation Hughton has settled on here. 

[/quote]I completely agree with you re Hughton''s preference for midfield types. I was just trying to say that we''re quite well-stocked in midfield in relation to other areas of the pitch. If Tettey and Johnson both get injured then we would be playing say Howson and Fox/Butterfield/Smith who aren''t as strong defensively BUT can still put the foot in and sit deep. However if, like now, Holt is injured or suspended or Garrido or Bassong then we look a lot thinner in those areas. IMHO

Shame if Fox does go - I do feel some games have been crying out for him. Purely for his ability to switch the ball between flanks quickly and with ease. Also comes and fetches the ball from the defenders and never gives the ball away.

Based on last years performances I would have fox in ahead of howson and probably BJ.     However this season he has not shown much when he has played so can understand him not getting much pitch time.

Hopefully he will get the chance to show just how good he can be again. 

I am sure that Fox then subsequently signed a new extended (2yr?) deal - I can remember Hughton saying he was a great player etc etc. Same with Surman signing a new long term deal as well.

[quote user="claud"]I would not be at all surprised to see Fox rejoin PL once again.[/quote]

Likewise. They need better quality there as well. Wonder if we''d sell him to them though