Sign in to follow this  
Ketts Rebel

Time stops at Carrow Road

Maybe I am alone on this one..but why do the digital match clocks stop at 45.00 and 90.00 mins?  It drives me nuts!. You cannot see how much added time there is left to play at the end of each half. The games on TV always show added time, and I believe other grounds I have visited do the same.

Opinions please?

It is rather annoying and I usually switch the button on my watch but never seem to take my eyes off of the ball.I do believe that they are not allowed to put that up, this is due to the fact that it''s a "minimum of..." imagine the furious fans if one went in at 3:02 or an attack was stopped dead on 3:00.Two points here, do they not now put up the actual time and you can deduce the extra minutes roughly yourself. Secondly, was this question not posed at the fans forum (or potentially the AGM) and McNally said it wasn''t allowed for the above reasons? Might be wrong.

Good points, and yes the "mininum of" is always announced, and I believe briefly displayed. I can remember one game where due to injury 8 minutes were added. I still think I''ve seen at other grounds though, so I''m unsure of it not being allowed, but I''m pleased it has at least been mentioned before..I''m not alone!

IF Peterborough have a digital clock I will have a look this Saturday! I think given the choice most people I''ve spoken to would like the clock to indicate added time.  

Personally I don''t think this issue is half as big as the HT replays showing opposition goals a dozen to,es including slow mo replays of the, celebrating before getting to our goal and the sending off (ManC game), rediclious that in a home stand I should have to watch 10 mins of replays of two opposition goals before I get to see ours (although it was this sending off and Kompany tackle that I wanted to see, but not a dozen times)

It''s definately rules against clubs showing the time after 45 and 90. Don''t forget you can get added time to the injury time etc.

Easy solution is just to do what I, sadly, do and that''s start your own stopwatch going!

Interesting, you would have thought that each highlight would be shown once, then repeated. Not good - Especially when some screens are mounted behind the masses queueing for a half time cuppa (N&P). Surely above the serving hatches would be better. Got to say, all these points are a welcome relief from all the transfer speculation we will have to endure for the next 3+ weeks!

True - Injuries, and subs - which I believe the ref adds 30 secs for each?  How slow did some of the Man City players walk off, time wasting, another 5 for that.

You''re right Ketts, generally speaking 30 seconds is a guide to add on after each goal, sub etc, but it isn''t set in stone for the refs.

That said, I watched a game ver the weekend on tv and a sub was made during injury time. Only something like 12 extra seconds was added on to the injury time so it goes to show that ploy indeed does work. Great if you''re the ones hanging on but bloody annoying if you''re chasing the game. Same thing happened at Wet Spam on Monday, ok it probably wouldn''t have ultimately made any difference but we were still short changed given all the time wasting and subs they made.

Grrr, I''m winding myself up again...!!

I''d guess 50% at least of extra time subs are simply to waste time, or to disrupt game flow, and yes I agree it does work. I suppose the best plan is just to make sure you are ahead at the 90 min mark.

[quote user="Ketts Rebel"]

Maybe I am alone on this one..but why do the digital match clocks stop at 45.00 and 90.00 mins?  It drives me nuts!. You cannot see how much added time there is left to play at the end of each half. The games on TV always show added time, and I believe other grounds I have visited do the same.

Opinions please?

[/quote]You won''t have seen it at any other grounds, it''s definitely against the rules for the exact reasons that everyone else has mentioned.

The guidance for referees is clear. For example, they have to say "a minumum of 3 mintues" whether the added time is going to be 3 minutes and one second or 3 minutes and 59 seconds.

Frankly, why we can''t take a leaf out of rugby''s book with the time being kept by the fourth official, with a hooter at full time and with the being stopped for certain incidents, such as the ball out of play, is beyond me? Fans would know exactly where they stand then.