Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

How long will he stay?

I have been thinking about this since he took over and just wondered what everyone else thinks. Do you think Nigel Worthington will be manager of Norwich in 3-5 seasons time? Ok. personally I don''t. I think Nigel truely beleives in his ability and he has no doubt in his mind that he can manage at the very top. Saying this I don''t think he will ever leave Carrow Road under a cloud, I just think that one day he will leave for a so-called "Bigger Club". He seems very determined to manage at the higher regions of the premier league and even the champions league and if he is a real success here, sooner or later "Big" clubs will take notice.

I''m not in anyway having a go at NW because to get to where I think he wants to go, he is going to have to take City into the prem and keep us there. Personally I was against his appointment but I have to admit he has dragged the club/board kicking and screaming to the top of the division. He has got rid of "dead wood" players at the club, he has got the players fit and very importantly he has brought for the first time a real drive and a work ethic to the club. It would be foolish to say that our previous managers lacked ambition but NW is prepared to get his head down and work hard for it, which is new.

I''m not saying NW is going to manage Man U but I don''t think he see''s City as his long-term future and I don''t care, as long as he takes us were we want to be.

Well said Saint Canary. I too (like nearly every city fan) was disgusted when Worthy was appointed. If you had told me that a couple of years later we would be top by 5 points and have Darren Huckerby up front I would have laughed like I''ve never laughed before!! He really has done a superb job. I''m always a bit worried when a Premiership manager gets the sack, but Worthy is never linked. I think this could well change next year when we get promoted and we are more high profile. I''d like to think that he wouldn''t leave us for another premiership club (naive i know). I think the most worrying time when we could lose him would be if we go down after a season in the Prem and then a Prem club comes after him. After a taste of the Prem, the lure might be to great to refuse. I have faith however that Worthy wouldn''t do that and (fingers crossed) he''ll be our manager for many years to come.

True Wiz but unlike De Waard, Dervelt, Anselin, de Blassis and the rest, I think I''m right in saying that NW bought Rivers and Easton, which is why I think they have had a longer stay of execution. I can''t imagine either of them getting a new contract.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you Saint,I think Rivers should be given another chance,he did after all score 4 goals in the first few games of the season before he had his bust up with Worthy.I still feel he has a contribution to make but I know I''m in the minority on this board,so wont go into lenghty reasons why.

I think you''re right Angel, Rivers could have a part to play. I think he has an attitude problem though. He thinks he should be in the team every game while Worthy (and I think most of the fans) feels he has to earn a place with consistant good performances over 90 minutes, not just the 10 minutes per match Rivers feels like playing.

Saint,
Please tell me what makes you think that Rivers thinks he should be in the team every week and why has he got a bad attitude.
I dont know him but he sits in the main stand sometimes when hes not in the squad and his smiling faceand willingness to banter with fans doesn''t give the impression that he has any kind of bad attitude problem.Also someone on here spoke to him recently and he said yes he was dissappointed not to be playing,but would work hard in the reserves to get himself noticed again.What I find hard to understand is that at the beginning of the season when he scored his 4 goals he was playing well and popular,then got dropped after his much publised fallout with Worthy at Colney and now everyone has written him off.I know hes not as consistant as some but I think he deserves another chance and as you agree still has a part to play.

Angel,
I think he has a bad attitude a bad attitude because I feel he has the ability to win matches and be a real integral part of the team but he just doesn''t seem to care sometimes. He walks around with his hands on his hips, like he is taking a stroll through Mousehold Heath. Then he goes on a run, beats a couple of players, puts a cross in and I think, go on Mark! Then I have to wait half an hour for him to do something again. He doesn''t seem to have a commited attitude and thats where his problem is, i''m not saying he isn''t commited to City but if he is he hides it well.

The few games I have been to recently, I haven''t seen him in the stands but personally if was being paid £500- £1000 a week and then got free entry to Carrow Road I would be all smiles and chatty.

In answer to the original post - I think Worthy will be here in 5 years, if the fans will let him make a few mistakes.

He demands loyalty, and is loyal in return to his players - Iwan, Malky, Holt etc. That loyalty makes me think he will stay with the club. I hope he does, because continuity is very important to success.

Also, Don''t forget that everyone else in the rest of the country doesn''t know we exist. If we keep quiet, they''ll leave our best players (Drury, Green, McVeigh etc) and our manager alone. Their loss I reckon!!

I was a bit worried when I heard Southampton wer deliberating long and hard about Gordon Strachans successor. Has anyone heard any rumours? Surely this would be a sideways step rather than a career move. As someone who can remember as far back as Ron Saunders, John Bond and Mike Walker, I am all too well aware that the slightest sniff of success at Carrow Road leads to speculation at every managerial vacancy in the premier league or old division 1. Fortunately these days things are a bit different at Carrow Rd with a sound backroom team in place and a real feeling of ambition at the club. Maybe I am being naive but I think we are in a much better position of hanging on to a good manager than we have been in the past.

I appreciate what you''re saying,Saint and I respect your opinion but just because he has his hands on his hips and is strolling around as you put it doesn''t neccessarily mean he has a bad attitude. As to your last paragraph I think it is a good thing that Rivers and other players who are not picked, are at the home games supporting their team mates, that to me shows a team spirit.As for him getting £500 - £1000 pw I think your figures are out by a few grand but being well paid doesn''t neccessary make you smile does it?
We have debated this one on here lots of times and I think we will have to agree to disagree, nice to chat with you though.

ok supposing worthy is as good as o''neill etc. and keeps us in the premiership, how do you know he''s not the next curbishley (ie loyal to the club)

As a group we do tend to get sidetracked sometime from the original question on a thread. Let''s just look at what possibilities Worthy potentially might contemplate in the privacy of his own thoughts. Of course, it goes without saying that he is very focused on achieving success with Norwich so for those who may be so inclined, there is no need to say it. Let''s look beyond that obvious perspective. First of all, and presumably like most of us he will likely think about his ambition and the financial well-being of his family. Logically he would then evaluate the length of his current contract and the remuneration associated with that ( including any potential bonuses if promotion is achieved ). If promotion is achieved then presumably Nigel would consider the risk of Norwich being relegated at the end of next season and, if he''s a wise man, would probably conclude the risk is not a small one. Therefore, it is not a stretch for him to conclude that his greatest marketable opportunity to satisfy any ambitions and greater financial rewards may lie in wait during the next six months or so. He might well think about what big clubs are likely to be making a move during that timeframe and whether any financial offer from a big club might give him in three years what he could achieve at Norwich in six or more. So who might cause Nigel to lick his lips? Liverpool for sure where Houllier will be history if there is nothing achieved this season, definitely Manchester City where Keegan''s fate has probably already been determined, Everton where Moyes has gone from magician to reality, or possibly even as an heir apparent for Robson at Newcastle. Any other thoughts out there that might cause Nigel to lick his lips during the next six months?

Good post YC!! N W might not have thought it out better. I also think as you do, apart from the assessment time frame if N City are promoted. If NW is looking good after the first season in the big P! I would think a mid table position, plus a good run in a cup competition, without going mad on the transfer mkt. Then it is likely there will be a good deal of interest in poaching Worthy. If our board are wise, it is likely that having found a diamond of some integrity and worth, as our manager is, they will take great care to keep abreast of his ambitions, by doing their best to make his position so comfortable so that he will not want to leave us except for an absolute certainty; if their is one. The one that would offer a good fan base and much potential in my mind would be Newcastle or as one boarder mentioned. Liverpool.