Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Is Wiki right?

"The Jarrold Stand is on the former site of the South Stand, which was named in honour of Sir Arthur South."As far as I can remember, it''s always been called "The South Stand" simply because it faces south.If Wiki is correct and it was commemorated to Sir Arthur for his sevices to the club and Geofrey Watling has a stand named after him too, how come we haven''t got a stand named after Robert Chase who brought us the most successful period in the club''s history?

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]I wondered where the big wooden had gone![/quote]Sorry to hear that. Happens to us all with age mate. I''ve received one or two emails about some pills that could help if you''re interested?

I think it was named after Sir A South, and not because it faces south.

Interestingly the Barclay was also named after someone...Mr Barclay I believe.

I actually agree, not that many on here will. That Robert Chase was/is a legend of the club, even though many stuck two fingers up and pushed him out.

Maybe the N&P could be named The Sir Robert Chase Stand?

I was under the impression that it was named after Sir Arthur and that it actually east facing. Having a quick look it''s actually on the south East side with the River End on the South West.
Davo

I really doubt it was. It would have been called ''the sir arthur south stand'' or the ''arthur south stand'' to avoid confusion with its position. also when the stand was rebuilt it would have remained ''the south stand'' in some form even with the naming rights being sold.

btw the barclay was named after ''Captain Evelyn Barclay'' (it''s on wikipedia it must be true)

I must admit that I always thought it was called the South Stand because it was to the south of the ground but now I am not so sure. The Barclay could have been named after The Hon. Phyllis Barclay who, according to an old match programme of mine, was Club President at the same time as one A South JP and that was in the late fifties/early sixties.

[quote user="Sasco"]I must admit that I always thought it was called the South Stand because it was to the south of the ground but now I am not so sure. The Barclay could have been named after The Hon. Phyllis Barclay who, according to an old match programme of mine, was Club President at the same time as one A South JP and that was in the late fifties/early sixties.[/quote]

In fact I see that Phyllis Barclay was married to Captain Evelyn Hugh Barclay.

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]I think it was named after Sir A South, and not because it faces south.[/quote]

[quote user="Davo"]I was under the impression that it was named after Sir Arthur and that it actually east facing.[/quote]From Wiki.......                        " For many years, one of the Carrow Road stands was named in his honour; the South Stand was rebuilt in 2004 and is now known as the Jarrold Stand."And there you have it, the myth!I think spudgfsh has summed it up nicely........[quote user="spudgfsh"]I really doubt it was. It would have been called

''the sir arthur south stand'' or the ''arthur south stand'' to avoid

confusion with its position. also when the stand was rebuilt it would

have remained ''the south stand'' in some form even with the naming rights

being sold.[/quote]In my opinion, it was always "The South Stand" and nothing to do with Sir Arthur and therefore, Wiki is wrong.

[quote user="Sasco"][quote user="Sasco"]I must admit that I always thought it was called the South Stand because it was to the south of the ground but now I am not so sure. The Barclay could have been named after The Hon. Phyllis Barclay who, according to an old match programme of mine, was Club President at the same time as one A South JP and that was in the late fifties/early sixties.[/quote]

In fact I see that Phyllis Barclay was married to Captain Evelyn Hugh Barclay.[/quote]Captain Evelyn Hugh Barclay actually paid for the roof to be put on the stand and so the club named it after him in gratitude.

I don''t know the answer (although I did vaguely think it was after Sir Arthur and nothing to do with a - false - geographical location) but it is a shame it wasn''t named after the nearest factory. The Laurence Scott and Electromotors Ltd Stand would have had really quite a ring to it...[;)]

It was Captain Evelyn Barclay who helped finance a roof on the Railway End which became known as The Barclay. Like Lapp I don''t think The South Stand has anything to do with the late great Sir Arthur apart from the fact those red and blue seats were installed under his watch. He was instrumental in saving the club as Lord Mayor in the 50s so that would have been the only time such an honour would have been bestowed. In that case the South Stand must have been known as something else first. Is this Wiz''s famous Wensum moment or was it always known as the South Stand....

[;)]

There''s an area near Thetford named after BFB....

I really did hope you''d know Purps. My only hope now is Wiz or Ricardo. They are the two oldest posters on here by some distance! [;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

You mean it''s not called the Abbey Farm Estate anymore ?[:P]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

You mean it''s not called the Abbey Farm Estate anymore ?[:P][/quote]

Don''t be a silly Tilly! He means Thetford Chase. You can hardly name Halvergate Marshes after him can you?

Actually, thinking about it, you can. After all, he left us in the mire........

[quote user="chwb2003"]The River End was named after Mark Rivers[/quote]

Yes and despite her knockers the Brassiere is named after Delia....

And who could forget the Joe Lewis Diner....

[:S]

[quote user="lappinitup"]"The Jarrold Stand is on the former site of the South Stand, which was named in honour of Sir Arthur South."

As far as I can remember, it''s always been called "The South Stand" simply because it faces south.

If Wiki is correct and it was commemorated to Sir Arthur for his sevices to the club and Geofrey Watling has a stand named after him too, how come we haven''t got a stand named after Robert Chase who brought us the most successful period in the club''s history?

[/quote]

Of course, if the club were to be so motivated they could approach the current name-holders and seek to commemorate as follows;

The [new sponsor] ''Geoffrey Watling'' Stand

The Barclay ''Robert Chase'' Stand

The Jarrold ''Arthur South'' stand

The N & P ''Delia Smith'' Stand

And then of course we could have rotating names (up to 52 say) for the infills, such as Huckerby''s Den , Bly''s Corner etc  [:D]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Of course, if the club were to be so motivated they could approach the current name-holders and seek to commemorate as follows;

The [new sponsor] ''Geoffrey Watling'' Stand

The Barclay ''Robert Chase'' Stand

The Jarrold ''Arthur South'' stand

The N & P ''Delia Smith'' Stand

And then of course we could have rotating names (up to 52 say) for the infills, such as Huckerby''s Den , Bly''s Corner etc  [:D][/quote]

I agree Bly and that was one of my points. Had Sir Arthur have had a stand named after him, then surely Robert Chase was equally deserving of the same accolade in view of his achievements and Delia too

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]

I think we should name the exits after Robert.

The Chase Out Gates would be fitting.

[/quote]

And of course there''s those terrace chants in his memory....

[8] "You ate all the pies"

and

[8] "Have you ever seen your c0ck"

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="chwb2003"]The River End was named after Mark Rivers[/quote]

Yes and despite her knockers the Brassiere is named after Delia....

And who could forget the Joe Lewis Diner....

[:S]

[/quote]

How dare you refer to Delia''s knockers. If they had anything to do with it it would be Delia''s Brassiere surely.

The South Stand faces East, not South. It was originally just part of the ground and you could walk all the way round from the River End when I was a boy. It was named after Sir Arthur South in recognition for his leadership in the 1956 Crisis. It was originally open to the elements and a large part of the terracing was made of old railway sleepers when I first attended in the mid 1950''s. The stand was partially covered in 1960 and eventually this covering was extended right round to the Barclay in 1962. At about this time the railway sleepers were all replaced by proper concrete terraces.

[quote user="Real Dr Crafty BSc PhD DipEM "]How dare you refer to Delia''s knockers. If they had anything to do with it it would be Delia''s Brassiere surely.[/quote]Too right Crafty. Her knockers were just a couple of old tits anyway. [;)]

[quote user="ricardo"]It was named after Sir Arthur South in recognition for his leadership in the 1956 Crisis.[/quote]Thanks Ricardo. What was it called prior to 1956?