Sign in to follow this  
gazzathegreat

what is happening on this board?

Haven''t been on here for a while (due to house move and no internet connection there) but some of the bile and nastiness from one poster to another is just getting too much on some of the threads, notably the one about iwan becoming a coach

So not everyone is going to agree everytime, we all know that and should respect others opinons, it is after all a message board for all, sorry first wiz, i have agreed with you in the past on many issues, but you cannot seriously tell me that just because someone doesn''t post more than 10 a day they can''t be taken seriously, most of us have a laugh at your spells routine, but being a wizard does not put you on a pedestal above everyone else!

We were all new once, and that goes for everything we do, I returned to this forum after a spell on another norwich fan site where the friendliness was totally absent and most threads seemed to ridicule people''s opinions - none of us are every 100% right about anything - i do hope that this board is not heading that way.

btw, everyone who gave me and meeky suggestions for things to do in vegas, we will be trying them all out very soon! 

No chance of you seeing tales of what we all had for dinner last night or what we watched on the TV on this board Gazza. I try to get the insults down to a minimum but can''t moderate all the time. I''ll ask the other moderators to keep an eye on the situation.

Enjoy the city of sin...

[quote]Haven''t been on here for a while (due to house move and no internet connection there) but some of the bile and nastiness from one poster to another is just getting too much on some of the threads, not...[/quote]

Gazza: I fear you have singled me out here as the worst offender on these boards. If so, I believe that''s a trifle unfair my friend. You know I don''t advocate that newbies can''t post, or that their views should be taken less seriously than mine.

Only a few days ago, a poster started a thread on the newbies situation, and I refused to get drawn into that one!.

I put up with a lot of stick about my spelling (some not always good natured) Yes, I do at times struggle with English (but how''s your German, posters?) but if I fight back, than do I run the risk of a post not being printed on these boards?, as it would appear has just happened!.

Peter Raven and Co: At what point does a reply to an insult (in the eyes of the poster that is) become a ''moderator'' non print?. We all perceive insults at various levels or degrees.

Some people are more ''touchy'' than others?, is this reply to an old friend called Gazza, nasty or not?. Also there are occasions when two posters involved in a heated debate, understand what''s going on, and don''t take offence so easily.

You can see where I''m going on this, IMO you''re setting a precedent which again IMO, could ruin these boards.

A guideline or code would be helpful.

> At what point does a reply to an insult (in the eyes of the poster that is) become a ''moderator'' non print? We all perceive insults at various levels or degrees.

Often hard to say until it hits its target. Also, with moderators changing through the day, we can''t all follow all forums in their fullness - so while a reply may seem reasonable on its own, it may be incendiary as part of the thread. Sometimes we check back to see the context before it''s posted, usually there doesn''t seem much need.

Maybe before replying to messages, a poster should ask themselves if the message they''re replying to is a total over-reaction in itself and would be better off ignored. Or how about not mentioning people''s names if you strongly disagree with them? Just say what you think; you don''t need to name posters when picking holes in arguments (although this isn''t always avoidable - e.g. first reply in a thread).

Guidelines are probably easier said than done, but all ideas welcome, either here or to webdesk@pinkun.com.  Examples of insults too (include link to thread as well), although we may not reply, we welcome your views.

Finally, if I read "someone who doesn''t post more than 10 a day can''t be taken seriously"... well, I couldn''t take that seriously in itself - and not just because I post less than 10/day.

Note to Gazza and the web team:

While I agree with Gazza that we all should try our very best to refrain from insults I would advise the exercise of great caution with respect to interfering with freedom of speech. Gazza, your comment supporting "friendliness on the board", while well intentioned, is not, in my view, what a message board should be about. Fair enough, that''s your opinion, but please web team, if you react positively to that umbrella, where do you draw the line on other well intentioned umbrellas. The consideration of "codes" or "guidelines" is dangerous ground on which to tread. This message board has weathered many a heated debate with pros and cons offered by various posters on such issues. What offends some pleases others, as is the case in newspapers around the world printing letters from the public. I agree with removing bad language but strongly suggest no interference beyond that. Freedom of speech should be something we can all support, whether we agree with the stated opinion or not. As stated on numerous occasions, this message board is better than most, and to remove the spice may leave us with blandness on a road to mediocrity.