Sign in to follow this  
canaryfan68

Is the transfer silence a good or bad thing....

Are you concerned by the lack of news from the transfer window or not.

Was PL the driving force behind getting ''business done'' early or was it the board? Last window we went to the last hour to get someone in, are we getting back to the days under Doncaster?

Do you think we will sign anyone/many and who/where would you like the team to strengthen?

Personally I feel the striking department needs help to take pressure off the defence which has started letting a few more in recently.

The window has been open 3 days, who else has made any "noise" other than LFC,WHU, THFC, CFC and I think Reading??? They have all signed someone.  No other club has said anything as there is nothing to say. Bids are not made public by the purchasing club unless necessary (e.g. we went in but got nowhere) and so I do not expect to hear anything until McNally states there will be an announcement in an hour, then an hour later that they have signed someone.

BW - you''ve missed the general point I''ve made in relation to when PL was at the helm. Business was done almost before the window and concluded early too.

Maybe transfers were done early under Lambert for two reasons:

1) We were approaching lower league teams for their players;

2) We were desperate to upgrade the squad as we were continuously moving into a better division.

I''m as impatient as anyone but like others have said we are only 4 days in.

I''m sure that by the end of the month we will have 2 or 3 new faces in Canary shirts. 

Your idea about PL is a little bit ''rose tinted'', certainly about the mid-season window: last January, when PL was here, Jonny Howson was signed on 24 Jan (bid accepted on 18 Jan) and Ryan Bennett was signed only minutes before the window closed. He did certainly like to do (some of) his summer dealings early, but then to be fair CH did, too.

What is weird is that several deals seem to have been done so early, that is the thing which seems unusual. There certainly isn''t anything to be concerned about us not signing someone by the 4th day, though we might definitely benefit from getting a bit more firepower in sooner rather than later.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Your idea about PL is a little bit ''rose tinted'', certainly about the mid-season window: last January, when PL was here, Jonny Howson was signed on 24 Jan (bid accepted on 18 Jan) and Ryan Bennett was signed only minutes before the window closed. He did certainly like to do (some of) his summer dealings early, but then to be fair CH did, too. What is weird is that several deals seem to have been done so early, that is the thing which seems unusual. There certainly isn''t anything to be concerned about us not signing someone by the 4th day, though we might definitely benefit from getting a bit more firepower in sooner rather than later.[/quote]

I understand Whyn Jones bought 10 players yesterday

[quote user="canaryfan68"]Are you concerned by the lack of news from the transfer window or not. Was PL the driving force behind getting ''business done'' early or was it the board? Last window we went to the last hour to get someone in, are we getting back to the days under Doncaster? Do you think we will sign anyone/many and who/where would you like the team to strengthen? Personally I feel the striking department needs help to take pressure off the defence which has started letting a few more in recently.[/quote]

There has been plenty of news - McNally has been denying stuff left, right and centre!

Seriously, as others have said, it is not true that all Lambert''s deals were done early, or that we always did business late under Doncaster. But it is a fact of the January window in particular that many transfers go to the wire. One of the nationals had a piece on this the other day. There is brinkmanship involved, and some deals are dependent on other deals, like house purchase chains.

I like the transfer silence from City, and think that the “no comment” is the best way of going about business. We’ll get players in when we can and at what we can afford. If players want to go for other clubs for money as opposed to playing for Norwich what can we do? (eg Hooper’s comments as reported by James Nursey yesterday so there’s not a great deal we can do in his case if he was a target)

In paying terms, in this window we’re probably nearer the bottom of the food chain due to our £12 million debt repayment this season and have less to spend than quite a few other clubs so we have to be quiet about things.

As regards the Ryan Bennett transfer last January, it was reported he was on his way to Swansea before he signed for City. I believe he was a longer term target for City with Zak Whitbread not having his contract renewed due to his injury record and was a summer target. Swansea also had Caulker on loan from Spurs so they were in need of a new centre back in the longer term as well.

It''s tough on us, with finger nails bitten away already, but it''s early days yet. Even if we had an offer accepted today there''s the business of talking terms, having a medical, consulting family etc., so things tend to drag on.

There is good reason to keep things under wraps, and that is to stop alerting other clubs who may not be thinking about our target immediately, but seeing us as fellow relegation candidates and thinking CH a good judge may decide to put in a competitive bid. Doubtless the selling club will want publicity and encourage more interest elsewhere, but why should we help them?

If nothing is happening in the final week of the month, then I will begin to panic. It is clear now that CH early on in the summer window overestimated the striking power of our strikers, and letting Vaughan go despite good performance pre-season, and tried at the end to sign a striker but could only gather Kane on loan as a last minute deal.

If it were not so serious now, with three strikers having amassed six goals between them in over 20 matches, I suspect that the high prices would prevent us buying a striker in the window. I hope that the club will pull out all the stops, and part with real money, rather than some young player with prospects eventually or an injury-prone has-been on loan.

i suspect, that the Peterboro game (Ch said he would field some fringe team players), might be some players last chance to make an impression, or first chance for the twins.

Hopefully, the irons in the fire are starting to heat up, and depending upon team/individual performances he''ll make a move in the next week or two.

Whilst it is far to early to be concerned, I get the OP''s point.

Today''s cup game doesn''t seem to be a priority with anyone these days but it would be ideal to have a new striker in contention for our next league game. Wishful thinking?

Not really...it''s an anxious wait for info as usual... I think the over inflated prices might have a serious influence again...

Unfortunately do we gamble with the prize at stake or do we tighten our belts and hope.

I believe we should be adding to the squad just through the lack of goals and lack of suitable replacements.

I would be happy with Danny Graham''s addition to the squad in January.

It might be frustrating for supporters but keeping your cards close to your chest is the most profitable way to conduct business. If you alert others to what you are doing you are more likely to be gazumped.

Silence by the 28th January would be cause for concern and even more if we reach the last day of the month with nothing to show. Most people, including CH clearly, recognise the need to increase our striking power.

Silence at this stage is neither good nor bad. It is a reflection that for most sides it is inevitable. You are not allowed to "talk" to a player and unsettle him at his club before the indow opens or approach him before asking permission from his club.. If players have release clauses, as a few Norwich players had in their contracts in the recent past, they can talk indirectly to the big clubs through agents and others. This was how Ba managed to get transferred so quickly to Chelsea,  presumably.

For all except the big clubs the window is a convoluted process. If you have big money, get in quickly and make a silly high bid, you may succeed. Otherwise it is a matter of making bids, talking to players and agents, possibly having medicals, but all the while waiting. The selling club wants to see to see if better offers will come in, and it may need time to sign a replacement for the player being sold. It''s a bit like buying and selling a house.

The selling club knows the buyers are to some degree desperate, so they can hang on in the hope of extracting a higher price.

It''s really not surprising that nothing seems to happen for some time into the window.

If Hughton plays the transfer window like he plays his substitutes, don''t expect anything to happen until 11.50pm on 31st January! Ten minutes left will be plenty

[quote user="Horse Manure"]If Hughton plays the transfer window like he plays his substitutes, don''t expect anything to happen until 11.50pm on 31st January! Ten minutes left will be plenty[/quote]

then he would have missed everything as it closes at 5pm

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="Horse Manure"]If Hughton plays the transfer window like he plays his substitutes, don''t expect anything to happen until 11.50pm on 31st January! Ten minutes left will be plenty[/quote]

then he would have missed everything as it closes at 5pm

[/quote]

its 11.00 pm isnt it?.....but either way too late!

I believe the signing of Harry Kane went on after the 11pm cut off, although if its good enough for Arsenal who took an extra day recently its good enough for NCFC.

JC - Is this down to a hunch, your tea leaves  telling you something or the way the wind is blowing or can I put it down to acquired good information? If it happens I''ll expect a lottery prediction too!