Sign in to follow this  
whistleblower

People who stood in Norwich seats at Peterborough

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Chunky buddy or any of you other stand outs... Do you stand at home games?

[/quote]

In the Barclay: yes
Anywhere else: no
[/quote]

Thanks Chunky. People will accuse me of monopolising this thread soon but this stuff does genuinely interest me. For many years my seat was Lower Barclay E Block Row W, my family still sit/stand there but I no longer can. People in those seats know they will never sit and they also know they are not inconveniencing anyone else. People in other areas, the vast majority of people, stay seated so not to obstruct anyone''s view. Just as you have said. So why don''t people have the same concern for others away from home?

[/quote]

Here''s a perhaps controversial suggestion. People stand because of a sheep mentality. It is the same mentality that gets them on to scapegoat bandwagons.

I regard myself as totally unselfish as I refuse to stand. A day or two ago my disabled wife asked me to stand and, following my learning on this forum, I refused to do so. Besides, my lazy boy chair is really comfortable. My wife then had the audacity to repeat her request that I stand because the decorations needed to be removed from the Christmas tree. I asked her why she wasn''t doing it. She said the decorations were too high for her to reach and she might fall over. Again, taking my learning from this thread, I told her to start from the bottom and then there was every chance that I would cooperate with her request when I could an impact being made. I now have a Christmas tree with the decorations only remaining on the top half. I realise I shall have to stand at some point but I will remain seated as long as this thread considers this to be the unselfish decorum.   

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Chunky buddy or any of you other stand outs... Do you stand at home games?

[/quote]In the Barclay: yesAnywhere else: no[/quote]

Thanks Chunky. People will accuse me of monopolising this thread soon but this stuff does genuinely interest me. For many years my seat was Lower Barclay E Block Row W, my family still sit/stand there but I no longer can. People in those seats know they will never sit and they also know they are not inconveniencing anyone else. People in other areas, the vast majority of people, stay seated so not to obstruct anyone''s view. Just as you have said. So why don''t people have the same concern for others away from home?

[/quote]This is purely a guess - purely - but I would assume that it''s the ''hardcore'' (for want of a better word) supporters that stand in the Barclay who tend to dominate away games. Whenever I have been to an away game there''s definitely a different atmosphere and mentality, which personally I prefer.I keep saying this and am getting bored of repeating myself but the vast majority of the stand were standing on Saturday and I never once heard anyone complain or ask anyone else to sit down.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

I regard myself as totally unselfish as I refuse to stand. A day or two ago my disabled wife asked me to stand and, following my learning on this forum, I refused to do so. Besides, my lazy boy chair is really comfortable. My wife then had the audacity to repeat her request that I stand because the decorations needed to be removed from the Christmas tree. I asked her why she wasn''t doing it. She said the decorations were too high for her to reach and she might fall over. Again, taking my learning from this thread, I told her to start from the bottom and then there was every chance that I would cooperate with her request when I could an impact being made. I now have a Christmas tree with the decorations only remaining on the top half. I realise I shall have to stand at some point but I will remain seated as long as this thread considers this to be the unselfish decorum.   

[/quote]

Yankee.. your actions were totally unselfish if there were chocolates and candy canes left on the bottm half of the tree. If however they are only on the top half you are doubly selfish for putting them there in the first place...

Chunky it''s not. You''d be surprised how few people from the back of the Barclay that you see regularly away from home. Probably because of the Season Ticket situation. STs are why us Barclay Boys grow old together. But what you do get at the back of the Barclay is a real sense of community where fans look after their own. I spent the best part of two seasons at the back of EBlock on crutches while I still could and I was fine. Perhaps these fans away are the ones who would have made the back of the Barclay their own before seats and STs kept them out. The amount of STs renewed every year means that younger fans have to sit where and if they can at carrow Road. But of course they have more freedom away from home. The world is changing and I wish it was all as simple as where Yankee put the candy on his tree[;)]

if the majority wanted to sit we would sit it''s as simple as that. the people in the first rows aren''t the same people every week. different people occupy the first rows and they always choose to stand. that tells you all you need to know.

[quote user="iwansnorwich"]if the majority wanted to sit we would sit it''s as simple as that. the people in the first rows aren''t the same people every week. different people occupy the first rows and they always choose to stand. that tells you all you need to know.[/quote]

Your posts tell me all I need to know[;)]

I''ve always struggled with the concept of standing ''creates a better atmosphere''

Is there any evidence for this?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="iwansnorwich"]if the majority wanted to sit we would sit it''s as simple as that. the people in the first rows aren''t the same people every week. different people occupy the first rows and they always choose to stand. that tells you all you need to know.[/quote]

Your posts tell me all I need to know[;)]

[/quote]That he must be about 12 and is probably one of these ''lads'' who thinks he''s recreating the ''old days'' by acting well ''ard?

As you can see I''m not a regular contributor to the debates on here but having read the 9 pages that this post has accquired I feel compelled to add my opinion, please note that I did say ''my opinion''.

Before you all start to shout, let me confirm that I was at London Rd on Saturday and was on the terrace because

A, I wanted to stand

B, I was lucky enough to get the ticket I wanted

If we bring the standing issue back to not just Carrow Road but all Barclays Premier League stadia there is the much maligned and ignored ''Ground Regulation'' which states that persistent standing is not allowed.

We all know that it happens and will happen for some time to come but be aware,  some football clubs are starting to bite back.

Sunderland have made the news recently because they have the audacity to enforce the Ground Regulations .

Football clubs have to earn the right to allow supporters into their stadiums and are governed by the local councils. These councils decide how many people are allowed into the stadium and that number is reached by many factors, one of those factors is the clubs ability to enforce regulations.

Manchester United are repeatedly having their away allocation reduced because of their attitude towards such things as persistent standing. This decision is made in part because of the relevant local councils recommendations.

All seater stadia are here for a while yet and regardless as to what I or anyone else thinks we have to deal with it. As the campaign to get people to sit gathers pace (the signs are there) Clubs will push supporters to abide by the ground regulations and the stewards will continue to annoy us by asking us to sit down (starting at the front of course)

Local Council Safety groups talk to each other and it is only a matter of time before the threat of a reduction in capacity is thrown on the table for Carrow road because someone feels they have the god given right to ignore the regulations.

Before you ask, I have only missed a handful of games at Carrow road over the last 20 years and can remember the terraces.

I''ll crawl back into my hole now OTBC

[quote user="refjezdavies"]I''ve always struggled with the concept of standing ''creates a better atmosphere''

Is there any evidence for this?[/quote]
Go to a few away games and you''ll get your answer Jez. I don''t know why, but when I''m stood at away games I usually do feel more like joining in with songs and whatever than I do if I''m sat down at home games. I suppose the home game sitting equates to more of a ''show'' than something you''re actively involved in if you''re standing.
Not read the whole 9 pages here. However, as a general rule, if you''ve ever been to any away game before, you''d know that fans stand throughout. Whether you agree with or like that is neither here nor there really; they do. If you dislike it to such a great extent, don''t buy tickets to away games. As it is, I''ve been going since I was about 8 (has always been all-seater stadiums in my lifetime) and never had problems with seeing - although admittedly back in those days you could normally just change seat and go and sit at the front because we hadn''t sold out. In fact, the worst view I''ve had was not because of fans standing, but because of a bloody great post in my way at Goodison a few weeks back!
This weekend was slightly different because you had a designated standing area. But even so, if you bought tickets to an away game I feel you are slightly naive to have gone expecting to sit for the entire match.

[quote user="Aggy"][quote user="refjezdavies"]I''ve always struggled with the concept of standing ''creates a better atmosphere''

Is there any evidence for this?[/quote]
Go to a few away games and you''ll get your answer Jez. I don''t know why, but when I''m stood at away games I usually do feel more like joining in with songs and whatever than I do if I''m sat down at home games. I suppose the home game sitting equates to more of a ''show'' than something you''re actively involved in if you''re standing.
Not read the whole 9 pages here. However, as a general rule, if you''ve ever been to any away game before, you''d know that fans stand throughout. Whether you agree with or like that is neither here nor there really; they do. If you dislike it to such a great extent, don''t buy tickets to away games. As it is, I''ve been going since I was about 8 (has always been all-seater stadiums in my lifetime) and never had problems with seeing - although admittedly back in those days you could normally just change seat and go and sit at the front because we hadn''t sold out. In fact, the worst view I''ve had was not because of fans standing, but because of a bloody great post in my way at Goodison a few weeks back!
This weekend was slightly different because you had a designated standing area. But even so, if you bought tickets to an away game I feel you are slightly naive to have gone expecting to sit for the entire match.
[/quote]I don''t think anyone is disagreeing with that Aggy, anyone who has been to an away game will know that it means standing for 90 mins.  I think the last time I sat down was Southampton away in League One.What has annoyed people is that some obviously want to sit, and with over 4k standing tickets available they thought that buying a ticket for the seating area would assure this.  Is that really a naive thing to think?  I would have imagined that the majority of away fans would have bought terracing tickets, as I did, so they could stand.  If a handful had to buy seated tickets then it''s tough luck really, they should sit.  By all accounts it''s the stewards fault, but the first few rows were definitely sat down as I could see that from the terrace.After all is said and done though, I hope we all take our time to feel sorry for the old dear who appeared near me with a fold out seat for the terrace...!

I''m conducting a poll based on this post. Please answer accordingly:

Who, that sat at the Peterborough game AND who are complaining on here ate a Prawn sandwich within the 90 minutes of the game, at half time or 30 mins either side of the match.

Thank you for participating.

[quote user="Area 52"]

As you can see I''m not a regular contributor to the debates on here but having read the 9 pages that this post has accquired I feel compelled to add my opinion, please note that I did say ''my opinion''.

Before you all start to shout, let me confirm that I was at London Rd on Saturday and was on the terrace because

A, I wanted to stand

B, I was lucky enough to get the ticket I wanted

If we bring the standing issue back to not just Carrow Road but all Barclays Premier League stadia there is the much maligned and ignored ''Ground Regulation'' which states that persistent standing is not allowed.

We all know that it happens and will happen for some time to come but be aware,  some football clubs are starting to bite back.

Sunderland have made the news recently because they have the audacity to enforce the Ground Regulations .

Football clubs have to earn the right to allow supporters into their stadiums and are governed by the local councils. These councils decide how many people are allowed into the stadium and that number is reached by many factors, one of those factors is the clubs ability to enforce regulations.

Manchester United are repeatedly having their away allocation reduced because of their attitude towards such things as persistent standing. This decision is made in part because of the relevant local councils recommendations.

All seater stadia are here for a while yet and regardless as to what I or anyone else thinks we have to deal with it. As the campaign to get people to sit gathers pace (the signs are there) Clubs will push supporters to abide by the ground regulations and the stewards will continue to annoy us by asking us to sit down (starting at the front of course)

Local Council Safety groups talk to each other and it is only a matter of time before the threat of a reduction in capacity is thrown on the table for Carrow road because someone feels they have the god given right to ignore the regulations.

Before you ask, I have only missed a handful of games at Carrow road over the last 20 years and can remember the terraces.

I''ll crawl back into my hole now OTBC

[/quote]

Please post more often buddy. This is factual and I agree with your conclusions. It will change because however much folk don''t like the rules and regs they can''t be flouted willy nilly. safety certificates are issued on the basis of these regulations. Imagine the outcry if there was an accident of any scale and it came out that the football club/councils/fa/police hadn''t bothered to enforce ground regulations?

I remember many years ago the anti social behaviour of the throwing of cushions by the "hot toddy meisters" in the main stand. The football club was threatened with ground closure. Something like that will happen here. And it''s coming soon. In this instance the football club hasn''t made the rules. The all seater stadium was forced upon them. But it''s here whether we like it or not.

Having digested this thread in full (and not a prawn sandwich!), I think this might be a one-off sit-u-ay-shun really.  I think what has got some people''s goat is that for once with there being terracing tickets available those away fans that would prefer to sit for once felt they could get their wish.  I am sure that those who regularly go to away matches and would prefer to sit some of the time, generally accept that is not always going to be the case and don''t make a fuss about it.  It''s just been frustrating for them this time given the terracing available.

Generally on away trips to Premier League grounds though I think those that really do need to sit can usually do this - apart from Goodison and Villa Park (and probably Carrow Road away fans too) where putting fans on the side towards the corner condemns them all to stand.  I''ve been to many grounds where with a bit of common sense people are more than happy to swap seats to allow this to happen.  Again sensible stewarding might actually encourage this sort of behaviour - but that''s "more than their jobsworth" expecially if the Safety Groups get their way!

Somebody mentioned prawn sandwiches.

Now, the obvious way to avoid having to stand at away games is simply to purchase a somewhat better class of ticket (and hope that one will have space for the picnic baskett!

As seen on TV there was a significant patch of such seats available in the main (?) stand at the Peterborough match.

[um]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]As seen on TV there was a significant patch of such seats available in the main (?) stand at the Peterborough match.[/quote]Those seats were clearly a division between home and away fans Bly as is normal.Did you stand throughout the match whilst watching on TV, or did you just jump to your feet when we scored? [^o)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]As seen on TV there was a significant patch of such seats available in the main (?) stand at the Peterborough match.[/quote]Those seats were clearly a division between home and away fans Bly as is normal.Did you stand throughout the match whilst watching on TV, or did you just jump to your feet when we scored? [^o)][/quote]

I must confess that I sat on my ar$e for the entire match whilst watching the internet stream Lapp. No prawn sarnies though, just tea and bikkies at regular intervals.[:$]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]As seen on TV there was a significant patch of such seats available in the main (?) stand at the Peterborough match.[/quote]

Those seats were clearly a division between home and away fans Bly as is normal.

Did you stand throughout the match whilst watching on TV, or did you just jump to your feet when we scored? [^o)]
[/quote]

I doubt that a square patch of  seats say 15 x 15 at the front of the stand and very sparsely populated was a security division. If so their CEO must be even more inept than their football manager.

Sat the whole time except to brew a mug of fine coffee at half time -  it was a calmly pleasing victory rather than an emotional epic!!

Sorry to disappoint you...............but that fresh start you know...............

One love.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]As seen on TV there was a significant patch of such seats available in the main (?) stand at the Peterborough match.[/quote]

Those seats were clearly a division between home and away fans Bly as is normal.Did you stand throughout the match whilst watching on TV, or did you just jump to your feet when we scored? [^o)][/quote]

I doubt that a square patch of  seats say 15 x 15 at the front of the stand and very sparsely populated was a security division. If so their CEO must be even more inept than their football manager.

Sat the whole time except to brew a mug of fine coffee at half time -  it was a calmly pleasing victory rather than an emotional epic!!

Sorry to disappoint you...............but that fresh start you know...............[/quote]

I''m not disappoined Bly, I was making a serious point. How many of the people who insist on standing at games do the same thing in the comfort of their own homes? I don''t think there would be many, if any. Standing is selfish and just the herd mentality. If everyone was sitting, would they as individuals stand up alone? Would they stand in a cinema or theatre? I think not.....unless the rest of the herd did of course.

If EVERYONE sat down as they should, EVERYONE would be able to see.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]As seen on TV there was a significant patch of such seats available in the main (?) stand at the Peterborough match.[/quote]

Those seats were clearly a division between home and away fans Bly as is normal.

Did you stand throughout the match whilst watching on TV, or did you just jump to your feet when we scored? [^o)][/quote]

Sorry to disappoint you...............but that fresh start you know...............[/quote]

I''m not disappoined Bly, I was making a serious point. How many of the people who insist on standing at games do the same thing in the comfort of their own homes? I don''t think there would be many, if any. Standing is selfish and just the herd mentality. If everyone was sitting, would they as individuals stand up alone? Would they stand in a cinema or theatre? I think not.....unless the rest of the herd did of course.

If EVERYONE sat down as they should, EVERYONE would be able to see.

[/quote]

If I had a nice old-fashioned barrier to stand behind at home with rattle in hand then I might well stand for part of the game - especially if I had a 70 incher in front of me like Yankee!!!!

Agreed, but but I''m afraid that''s behaviour from a bygone era for too many.

I fear that nothing less than fines &/or ASBOs &/or other legal action et al is going to resolve this issue.

OTBC

If all clubs rigorously enforced ground regulation the problem would rapidly disappear but there has to be a will to do this from the board downwards. I wonder how many would continue to stand if they were ejected first time and then season ticket withdrawn for persistent offenders.There are enough people on the waiting list who would be desperate to take their place. We should all lobby McNally to do this to avoid the club having sanctions.

It is with some trepidation that I enter this thread having been flamed on one of the earlier threads on standing.

I go to most of our away league games - missed 2 this season - I travel with my 11 year old son. Very few grounds enforce sitting down in my experience - spurs and reading being notable exceptions. It is my belief that we should be able to sit in order that both of us can see the game. Often he has a restricted view which is disappointing. I do not wish to stand him on the seats - which has previously been suggested on here - because it is unsafe given the movement of others when we score etc. So I''m of the view that seating at away games should be enforced - spurs manage it other clubs could too.

[quote user="Felixfan"]

If all clubs rigorously enforced ground regulation the problem would rapidly disappear but there has to be a will to do this from the board downwards. I wonder how many would continue to stand if they were ejected first time and then season ticket withdrawn for persistent offenders.There are enough people on the waiting list who would be desperate to take their place. We should all lobby McNally to do this to avoid the club having sanctions.

[/quote]

And sanctions will come Felix. This situation only has one possible ending and that''s with everyone seated in an all seater stadium.

We live in a society with a blame culture. Every accident, however large or small, has to have a scapegoat. Are football clubs, police, local councils and the like really happy to have a later investigation prove that they turned their backs on ground regulations being flouted. It''s a ticking bomb.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]It is with some trepidation that I enter this thread having been flamed on one of the earlier threads on standing. I go to most of our away league games - missed 2 this season - I travel with my 11 year old son. Very few grounds enforce sitting down in my experience - spurs and reading being notable exceptions. It is my belief that we should be able to sit in order that both of us can see the game. Often he has a restricted view which is disappointing. I do not wish to stand him on the seats - which has previously been suggested on here - because it is unsafe given the movement of others when we score etc. So I''m of the view that seating at away games should be enforced - spurs manage it other clubs could too.[/quote]

i agree for the same reasons as you, in fact I have had £100 refunded in the past because my son didnt get to see anything from the back row of the stand.,

Jesus Christ. Who actually cares?

Just deal with it and stand up. My back hurt too on Saturday but I was too interested on the game to be concerned about marginal discomfort.

Also, would just like to mention that for quite a few fans there was no option between seated or standing tickets. I''m an away season ticket holder and was given those tickets automatically.

In fact, I would have loved a day in the terraces to get away from all you petulant fans who are more concerned about being 100% comfortable than the game itself.

Plus, it''s sort of a tragedy of the commons situation. If someone''s view is obscured they''re going to stand up. You can''t exactly go around castigating fans when the culpability lies not with them, but squarely with the situation.

Every single away game this season has been standing throughout. And it''s been excellent. Long may it continue.

[quote user="Snoddys Jockstrap"] Every single away game this season has been standing throughout. And it''s been excellent. Long may it continue.[/quote]

Obviously Snoddy you did not go to Spurs or Reading ?

Every away game (about 30) I''ve been too its been standing throughout...

When there is a choice though people should respect that...

Snodgrass''s jockstrap, your thoughtless post may have been acceptable when there was no terrace but when there''s a choice it''s hardly ''excellent''

Liverpool ticket arrived today with a strongly worded notice to visiting fans reminding them that persistent standing is prohibited. The note goes on to say that fans will be evicted and future visits of your club could have reduced allocations.

I feel very strongly about this issue and we should all do our part in persuading fellow fans to sit not only as a matter of courtesy but for the good name of the club. Keep telling the stewards until they act or report the steward.