Sign in to follow this  
whistleblower

People who stood in Norwich seats at Peterborough

i didn''t get to the game but i do get to between 5-10 away games a season depending on commitments and i have to say i have only ever been to two away games where i have sat and these have only been for brief periods (Leeds and Chelsea). Its highly naive in my opinion to go to an away game and expect to sit down at all let alone for the whole game. Having read a lot of whats been said on this thread i would either say most of you just like a good moan or your too used to sitting in the N&P and don''t get many days out of the house. Maybe would should approach clubs to allocate "grey" areas for the more senior fans to sit who might not be able to cope with the standing and the noise?

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Serious question but have the people who are complaining ever been to an away game in their lives? I have yet to go to a single one where we have not stood for the entire 90 minutes.[/quote]
So I take it you didn''t sit in the first 10-15 rows or so at Fulham on the opening day. That was a constant sit down, stand up situation. The stewards worked from the bottom upwards and I remember constantly being able to sit down once the rows in front of me did. I also remember three pr!cks who refused to sit down hurling abuse at the fans behind them and refusing to sit down. I am sure it would of come to blows, as the three turned on our own fans, if it hadn''t of been for the Fulham stewards.
I personally prefer to stand but as I am polite and courteous I will happily sit if those in front of me do.
Davo

The vast vast majority of fans in the seated area made their feelings known when very loudly and together they sang we''ll stand if we want we''ll stand if we want we''re Norwich city we''ll stand if we want. It was just a hand full of fans but the vast majority.

It is usual to stand up in away games it is very rare not to I are surprised any supporter who goes away regularly would expect to sit. Bizarre

It''s quite simple in this instance.  If you really wanted to stand that much, you could have (as I did) bought tickets to go on the terrace.  Not only was it four quid cheaper that is kind of the entire point of it.  If you wanted to sit then you go in the seats.  Only, of course, I forget that we seem to have a disproportionately high number of selfish c*nts in our fanbase who insist on standing even in this situation where they are at the front and kids, short people and those who have trouble standing for long periods then suffer as a result.  But never mind, at least you''re true fans, eh?

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]It''s quite simple in this instance.  If you really wanted to stand that much, you could have (as I did) bought tickets to go on the terrace.  Not only was it four quid cheaper that is kind of the entire point of it.  If you wanted to sit then you go in the seats.  Only, of course, I forget that we seem to have a disproportionately high number of selfish c*nts in our fanbase who insist on standing even in this situation where they are at the front and kids, short people and those who have trouble standing for long periods then suffer as a result.  But never mind, at least you''re true fans, eh?[/quote]Agreed, funnily enough I noticed the first three of four rows were actually sitting, so why were the fifth row standing?Seems to me that the terrace was far more civilised and understanding than those in the seats too, we were quite happy to let the kids move to the front of the terrace so they could actually watch the game.  Although saying that, some idiots decided that a surge was the order of the day when Bennett scored, leading to one of the little kids getting whacked into the crush barrier at the front.  Classy.

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]

Sorry Chunky I''ve been going to Norwich away matches since the 60s and it is only in the last few years that the standing in the seats has been universal amongst the City fans. I was actually looking forward to yesterday as there was terrace for those who wanted to stand & unlike you I was told seats sold out before terracing. Normally I just put up with having to stand, no point in trying to hold back the tide but when people choose to buy seats & then stand it is just totally selfish. So your legs get a bit cramped, try standing on tiptoe fot 90 minutes to try & see.

It does seem that to the modern generation of City fans if you don''t stand, go to the pub before the game & worst of all wear green & yellow with pride (no not wigs!) you are some how not entitked to be there & should butt out

[/quote]

Nearly Every ground now has seats. So as you stated its been happening for the last few years. So why would yesterday be any different ?! Perhaps the 4900 out of the 5000 all wanted to actually stand

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well your experience is different to mine Webbo. But at the end of the day if you are standing in a seated area you are in the wrong. Regardless of what you may or may not have asked for. So it''s in the interests of those who want to stand to try and look after those who don''t.

[/quote]

So are you saying then that with everyone else standing, I should sit?

I am someone who normally stands at away games and would normally be on the other side of the fence in this debate but for me those saying people always stand in the seats at away games are missing a pretty obvious point here, namely, that there us normally only seating at those away games. Saturday was very different in that we had 4000 terrace tickets and therefore I would agree that on this occasion those moaning about people standing in thd seats have a legitimate point.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]It''s quite simple in this instance.  If you really wanted to stand that much, you could have (as I did) bought tickets to go on the terrace.  Not only was it four quid cheaper that is kind of the entire point of it.  If you wanted to sit then you go in the seats.  Only, of course, I forget that we seem to have a disproportionately high number of selfish c*nts in our fanbase who insist on standing even in this situation where they are at the front and kids, short people and those who have trouble standing for long periods then suffer as a result.  But never mind, at least you''re true fans, eh?[/quote]Spot on Graham.People can huff and puff all they like about wanting to stand at football matches but last Saturday and pretty uniquely for us there was a choice as to whether you wanted to sit or stand.Want to stand ? = terrace ticketWant to sit ? = seat ticket.Can''t be plainer than that, can it ? Why buy a seat if you want to stand ? Many on here were looking forward to a '' proper knees-up '' match on terracing which was great but those who can''t stand/prefer to sit could still attend and enjoy the match.The seats sold out much quicker than the terrace spaces - there was a message saying so on the official web-site before lunchtime on the day of sale - so clearly those that couldn''t, or didn''t,  feel comfortable standing snapped up those tickets assuming that, just for once, they''d be able to see the full 90 mins.How wrong can you be.The stewards should have come down heavy from the off then maybe everyone could have had a decent day out.

We were only offered tickets in the seating area as the terrace had sold out!

This was also the case with the guys who sit next to us at Carrow Road and some of my work colleagues. Having said that, despite wanting to stand , when purchasing the tickets we accepted that we may be required to sit.

As stated earlier, it has almost become accepted practice that the away fans stand during the match. Whilst not officially wanting to condone such, little attempt , if any, is made by grounds staff to get people seated. Any success is quickly undone by a free kick, corner, attack or in the case of NCFC a chant of."stand up if you hate the s**m!" Maybe, more clubs should look into creating family areas for away fans with strict control over standing, abusive behaviour etc. and controls over entry, i.e must be over 65 or accompanied by a child! There is something like that down at that Suffolk club and I think it works well. This would give everyone the opportunity to enjoy the game in the way they wish.

[quote user="Canary1902"]

We were only offered tickets in the seating area as the terrace had sold out!

This was also the case with the guys who sit next to us at Carrow Road and some of my work colleagues. Having said that, despite wanting to stand , when purchasing the tickets we accepted that we may be required to sit.

As stated earlier, it has almost become accepted practice that the away fans stand during the match. Whilst not officially wanting to condone such, little attempt , if any, is made by grounds staff to get people seated. Any success is quickly undone by a free kick, corner, attack or in the case of NCFC a chant of."stand up if you hate the s**m!" Maybe, more clubs should look into creating family areas for away fans with strict control over standing, abusive behaviour etc. and controls over entry, i.e must be over 65 or accompanied by a child! There is something like that down at that Suffolk club and I think it works well. This would give everyone the opportunity to enjoy the game in the way they wish.

[/quote]

Sorry but like others on here I found that the seats had sold out before the terrace tickets (not that I wanted to sit) - guy in front of me in the queue at Carrow Road at Midday on the Friday the tickets went on sale wanted 2 seat tickets but they''d sold out hours beforehand.  At that point still plenty of terrace tickets available.  Have to agree however that if you have bought a seat ticket when the option to stand is available then it is a conscious decision to sit.

[quote user="Canary1902"]There is something like that down at that Suffolk club and I think it works well.......[/quote]That is a daft comparison. You are hardly going to complain about the guy next to you standing if he''s fifteen feet away! [;)]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]It''s quite simple in this instance.  If you really wanted to stand that much, you could have (as I did) bought tickets to go on the terrace.  Not only was it four quid cheaper that is kind of the entire point of it.  If you wanted to sit then you go in the seats.  Only, of course, I forget that we seem to have a disproportionately high number of selfish c*nts in our fanbase who insist on standing even in this situation where they are at the front and kids, short people and those who have trouble standing for long periods then suffer as a result.  But never mind, at least you''re true fans, eh?
[/quote]

Spot on Graham.

People can huff and puff all they like about wanting to stand at football matches but last Saturday and pretty uniquely for us there was a choice as to whether you wanted to sit or stand.

Want to stand ? = terrace ticket

Want to sit ? = seat ticket.

Can''t be plainer than that, can it ? Why buy a seat if you want to stand ? Many on here were looking forward to a '' proper knees-up '' match on terracing which was great but those who can''t stand/prefer to sit could still attend and enjoy the match.

The seats sold out much quicker than the terrace spaces - there was a message saying so on the official web-site before lunchtime on the day of sale - so clearly those that couldn''t, or didn''t,  feel comfortable standing snapped up those tickets assuming that, just for once, they''d be able to see the full 90 mins.How wrong can you be.

The stewards should have come down heavy from the off then maybe everyone could have had a decent day out.

[/quote]

Strewth Smithy!! You and that Graham must be a couple of lame-brained flamin'' galahs... even blind freddie can see that we needed the seats to sit on at half-time... you couple of whingeing poms  don''t expect us to get terrace tickets and stand for two hours do yer?? You''re like a bunch of Sheilas yakking on about sitting down during the game... stone the flamin'' crows what is it with all you drongos gettin'' as busy as centipedes on a hot plate tryin'' to spoil the enjoyment of us kosher fans who like to stand and go leary... fair dinkum to cod piece and the like who behave like proper fans should..  Flamin'' Galahs.. the pair of ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![ip][B][B][ip][pi][ap][B][:''(]

[quote user="Martin Bryant"]never understand why someone would want to stand for 90minutes when they can sit... maybe im lazy?![/quote]Lol - i was about to ask exactly the opposite – if you''re able bodied and over 5ft tall then why would you want to sit?!?!?! Each very much to their own but I just don''t get it...I guess if/when you go to a gig to see your favourite band you''d rather sit upstairs tapping your knee than standing at the front being more ''involved''? Apart from the fact im 6ft 3 and can barely fit into most seats, you just feel so much more part of whats going on/involved standing up surely.. I''m not having a go, just genuinely interested - do you stand up when we score a goal, or is that too much of an effort too?

Im wondering if those with the seat only option were perhaps returns or whatever in batch 2 - certainly by the time I got to the ticket office there were only Terrace tickets left

I can empathise with those that stand at away games usually - I do it myself - but theyre Championship or Prem grounds with no terracing.  On this occasion there was far more opportunity to buy Terrace tickets - in which case I cant understand why people would want to go into the seating areas.  Being fairly tall and also a bit of a bloater at times I also know a lot of older grounds dont give you much if any legroom - old cinemas were like this as well - but you just have to get cosy with the person next door

Grounds like Posh do accomodate for the sitters and standers - trouble is we have some tw@ts that want to do what they like and when they like.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well your experience is different to mine Webbo. But at the end of the day if you are standing in a seated area you are in the wrong. Regardless of what you may or may not have asked for. So it''s in the interests of those who want to stand to try and look after those who don''t.

[/quote]

So are you saying then that with everyone else standing, I should sit?

[/quote]

LOL!

Who am I to say what you should do Webbo. I''m just saying that if you want to stand in a seated area you are the one in the wrong so it would be in your interests to try and look after those who want to sit. Disregarding the needs of others by doing something that''s against stadium regulations can ultimately only go one way.

Webbo getting a football ASBO???? Never say never[:O]

Rondy I am quite willing to stand IF I can see. You say you''re 6 ft 3 and don''t fit in the seats. I am 5 ft 1. Simply maths if you stand in front of me I can''t see and standing on tiptoes for 90 minutes with your head cricked at an unnatural angle

Is bloody painful . One reason why somone might opt to sit

YOTT - i totally get that and i''m happy enough to sit when the people behind me clearly cant see/have asked if I could remain seated. I prefer to stand, so if the game''s not sold out i''ll try and move towards the back, and on occasion i''ve even swapped rows to try and keep everyone happy. I have absolutely no problem with having to sit if the situation demands it, I was just questioning the other guy why, all things being equal you would CHOOSE to sit, it''s totally alien to me. If you went to a non league game with no proper stands would you bring your own chair rather than stand on the touchline? Im pretty lazy too but can just about muster the energy to stand for 2 x 45mins once a week or so.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

They are evidently the descendants of yesterdays hooligans.

A special strategy will have to be worked out as it was for their predecessors.e.g.

A start may be to have targetted cctv cameras in the stands operated by an agreed third party - with the club being required to refund the ticket cost of anyone whose view is demonstrably blocked by someone standing.The club offers a ''service'' for a price to the consumer. The ticket is evidence of payment. People persistently standing should be identified and banned via an ASBO or something after counselling and a second chnce............   

OTBC

[/quote]

Few on this thread are interested in solutions; they prefer to just vent.

The bottom line is that it is the responsibility of the clubs to provide what they sold to the customers.

If they are knowingly selling seat tickets when they clearly have no effective strategy to ensure that the customer can see from a seated position then they are quite likely in breach of the trade descriptions laws, and a fair bit more. I wonder what a trip to the local trading standards office wouls result in..........?

But as I said before - find a way to serve ASBOs and lenthy bans on persistent offenders. Bingo! But of course the authorities are in 2 minds because guess what - the more standing the greater the atmosphere for the tv companies and their international audiences. Now the clubs wouldn''t wanrt to lose tv revenue fro a tamer product would they.

So you seein the end  it''s all a ......circle !!!!!!!! [;)]

OTBC

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]It''s quite simple in this instance.  If you really wanted to stand that much, you could have (as I did) bought tickets to go on the terrace.  Not only was it four quid cheaper that is kind of the entire point of it.  If you wanted to sit then you go in the seats.  Only, of course, I forget that we seem to have a disproportionately high number of selfish c*nts in our fanbase who insist on standing even in this situation where they are at the front and kids, short people and those who have trouble standing for long periods then suffer as a result.  But never mind, at least you''re true fans, eh?
[/quote]

Totally agree Graham

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]It''s quite simple in this instance.  If you really wanted to stand that much, you could have (as I did) bought tickets to go on the terrace.  Not only was it four quid cheaper that is kind of the entire point of it.  If you wanted to sit then you go in the seats.  Only, of course, I forget that we seem to have a disproportionately high number of selfish c*nts in our fanbase who insist on standing even in this situation where they are at the front and kids, short people and those who have trouble standing for long periods then suffer as a result.  But never mind, at least you''re true fans, eh?[/quote]Well put Graham, but some people just don''t give a monkies about the effect their behaviour has on others.This is why I no longer bother to go to away matches. I can''t stand for 90 minutes because of back pain so there is absolutely no point in spending the money and not being able to see the game.

Did anyone notice the sizeable patch of empty seats behind the dugouts in what appeared to be the main stand.

I wonder what they cost? Bet nobody stands there!

OTBC

My wife and I bought seats and would have liked to sit (because of my great age and because standing in seats is neither sensible nor comfortable). But we were to the right of the first aisle (from our perspective) and, as everyone in Yellow to our right was standing, we wouldn''t have been able to see if we sat. There are times (Portaloo Road two seasons ago for instance) when you just have to stand because of the occasion. There are other times (Everton away this season) when it is not necessary. It''s no big deal for us, but it is for anyone with children.

The Peterborough stewards were daft, though. They were telling us to sit down, but understood that we wouldn''t be able to see, so did not push the issue.

If they had started in the aisle to the right of all the City fans, and told them to sit down, the rest of us would have done so. Yet they didn''t venture over there at all and just kept shrugging at each other.

On a more general note about London Road, what an uncared for dump it has become. I worked at Mansfield on Sunday, and the three stands they had open were clean and well-maintained. The entrance to the away seats at London Road was like a ghost train: all ancient cobwebs, broken lighting and peeling paint.

[quote user="Mick Dennis"]........

On a more general note about London Road, what an uncared for dump it has become. I worked at Mansfield on Sunday, and the three stands they had open were clean and well-maintained. The entrance to the away seats at London Road was like a ghost train: all ancient cobwebs, broken lighting and peeling paint.[/quote]I know the Main Stand is bad - wooden tip-up seats, no leg room, claustrophobic exits, disaster waiting to happen - but think yourself lucky you weren''t on the terraces Mick....The Moyes End is the pits. Very shallow rake on the terrace, narrow exits, one Ladies/Gents and one burger/tea bar at the far end. At least it had a roof. Only ground I''ve ever been where there wasn''t a queue for the Ladies - they must have been rank - but a huge one for the Gents. In the end more people were using the back wall as a makeshift latrine than were going inside.That said it made for a great old-fashioned footie '' away day ''. Wouldn''t want to do it every week though.

Something really needs to be done about fans standing in seated areas. When I pay for a seat I expect to be able to see the game in comfort and yes be able to stand at moments of excitement. It has already been said that those who went to Peterborough had the option to stand so those standing in the seated area should have been given one warning and then ejected if they continued to stand. The stewards were told several times but only acted belatedly and to little effect.

A recent survey of standing at clubs showed that we were one of the worst culprits so perhaps we need to enforce seating at Carrow Rd as a starting point. Sunderland now tape up seats and cancel season tickets. Nothing will be done until the stewards start ejecting persistent offenders.