Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

I Wonder

How many hunters will be jetting in for the game against ManUre on sat, but did''nt make to the Scunny and Donny games in the Capital Cup!!

What you say Mungo!!

Shouldn''t really respond to this but weren''t the capital one cup fixtures mid week and against reserve teams of opposition of varying quality.

As opposed to a 5:30 KO on a saturday night against some of the best players in the premiership (that aren''t wearing yellow and green of course!;)

I can see why they hold the same attraction as Doncaster reserves :D... oh no wait i can''t.

[quote user="Rob Sims"]

Shouldn''t really respond to this but weren''t the capital one cup fixtures mid week and against reserve teams of opposition of varying quality.

As opposed to a 5:30 KO on a saturday night against some of the best players in the premiership (that aren''t wearing yellow and green of course!;)

I can see why they hold the same attraction as Doncaster reserves :D... oh no wait i can''t.

[/quote]You are there to watch Norwich. Not the opposition.

Apologies, "norwich reserves play reserves of other teams". I was at Reading Norwich and what i saw, wouldn''t convince me to go see ''just norwich'' in a capital one cup midweek fixture. ever.

[quote user="zemas tendon"]

How many hunters will be jetting in for the game against ManUre on sat, but did''nt make to the Scunny and Donny games in the Capital Cup!!

What you say Mungo!!

[/quote]

You scummers have been struggling to get 17,000 in the Chumpionship. Unlucky.

I''m glad you raise dthis point Zema. I''d imagine there will be a considerable number of excitable halfy-half scarf wearing plastics at the game, none of whom attended the Scunny or Donny matches.

There seems to be some confusion, Scunny and Donny certainly did not field reserves strings, they fielded their full first XI for a competitive cup match in each case. Also, as three year contract makes abundantly clear - if your decision as to whether or not to attend a match is in any way, shape or form influenced by who the opposition will be you ae NO FAN WHATSOEVER of Norwich City Football Club. You''re simply there to gaze in awe at the opposition, having to move your scarf uncomfortbly over your lap as you become increasingly excited at the prospect of seeing your heroes Rooney, Stevie G, JT etc.

Norwich City - a LOCAL club for LOCAL people.

Mungo

It''s a reasonable point spoiled by comparing it to the Capital One cup games.

On a thread last week a poster was using the demand for Man Utd tickets as a reason to expand the stadium. We could probably sell 50,000 at £50 quid for this game but how many of them would be coming to see Norwich?

But now it''s been mentioned I don''t agree with this reserve team nonsense. We may have fielded reserve players for the early rounds but they were priced accordingly. The Spurs game certainly wasn''t reserve teams from either side.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

I''m glad you raise dthis point Zema. I''d imagine there will be a considerable number of excitable halfy-half scarf wearing plastics at the game, none of whom attended the Scunny or Donny matches.

There seems to be some confusion, Scunny and Donny certainly did not field reserves strings, they fielded their full first XI for a competitive cup match in each case. Also, as three year contract makes abundantly clear - if your decision as to whether or not to attend a match is in any way, shape or form influenced by who the opposition will be you ae NO FAN WHATSOEVER of Norwich City Football Club. You''re simply there to gaze in awe at the opposition, having to move your scarf uncomfortbly over your lap as you become increasingly excited at the prospect of seeing your heroes Rooney, Stevie G, JT etc.

Norwich City - a LOCAL club for LOCAL people.

Mungo

[/quote]Mungo I disagree with your "local club for local people" point however your main, longest paragraph is absolutely spot on."You''re only here to see United" will be sung on saturday. Can''t really disagree..

Actually you are there to watch both. A one sided match would be a bit dull wouldn''t it?

Maybe when you''re older and grown up you will learn not to expect everyone to have the same standards as you and not to judge them because they are different.

Who are you to tell people how they should spend there money and what there motivations for attending a football match are?

[quote user="Budgie"]Actually you are there to watch both. A one sided match would be a bit dull wouldn''t it? Maybe when you''re older and grown up you will learn not to expect everyone to have the same standards as you and not to judge them because they are different. Who are you to tell people how they should spend there money and what there motivations for attending a football match are?[/quote]

I''m afraid this is an indication of the gulf between an old supporter like me and the young fans.

[quote user="Budgie"]Actually you are there to watch both. A one sided match would be a bit dull wouldn''t it?

Maybe when you''re older and grown up you will learn not to expect everyone to have the same standards as you and not to judge them because they are different.

Who are you to tell people how they should spend there money and what there motivations for attending a football match are?[/quote]You are meant to be NORWICH CITY SUPPORTERS.That SHOULD mean that no-matter who we play you should at least want to go. Fair enough if you have other stuff on..Some people want to goto Manchester United at home and for example were not fussed at all when we were in the Championship. How can that be right?

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="Budgie"]Actually you are there to watch both. A one sided match would be a bit dull wouldn''t it? Maybe when you''re older and grown up you will learn not to expect everyone to have the same standards as you and not to judge them because they are different. Who are you to tell people how they should spend there money and what there motivations for attending a football match are?[/quote]

You are meant to be NORWICH CITY SUPPORTERS.

That SHOULD mean that no-matter who we play you should at least want to go. Fair enough if you have other stuff on..

Some people want to goto Manchester United at home and for example were not fussed at all when we were in the Championship. How can that be right?

[/quote]

My faith in the younger supporters has been restored. Thank you buddy[Y]

d lonely as a cloud, That floats on high o''er vales and hills, When all at once I saw a crowd, A host, of golden daffodils; Beside the lake, beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

To those saying you''re only there to see Norwich play.

Yes, but if you have a choice would you rather watch Norwich beat Man.U or Norwich beat Doncaster?

I support Norwich and only Norwich, and don''t care what league were in or who we are playing. But if I had a choice, i''d choose Premiership so we could go up against the best teams and beat them. The chance to beat Man.U is much more appealing than Scunthorpe...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]To those saying you''re only there to see Norwich play. Yes, but if you have a choice would you rather watch Norwich beat Man.U or Norwich beat Doncaster? I support Norwich and only Norwich, and don''t care what league were in or who we are playing. But if I had a choice, i''d choose Premiership so we could go up against the best teams and beat them. The chance to beat Man.U is much more appealing than Scunthorpe...[/quote]

Thanks Ginge, exactly what I was going to say - you''ve summed it up perfectly. [Y]

[quote user="Loopzilla"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]To those saying you''re only there to see Norwich play. Yes, but if you have a choice would you rather watch Norwich beat Man.U or Norwich beat Doncaster? I support Norwich and only Norwich, and don''t care what league were in or who we are playing. But if I had a choice, i''d choose Premiership so we could go up against the best teams and beat them. The chance to beat Man.U is much more appealing than Scunthorpe...[/quote]

Thanks Ginge, exactly what I was going to say - you''ve summed it up perfectly. [Y]

[/quote]

That''s true to a point but I know that it''s difficult to predict which game is most worth the money. You can only decide that after you''ve been. If all your favourite games have been against big names then I would suggest that it''s those teams that attract you. Middlesboro at home 04/05 being an example of what I''m trying to say.

Personally I''d rather see a cracking game of footy with loads of gaols, thrills, spills, sendings off, on-pitch fisticuffs, streakers and a floodlight failure between Norwich City and [insert name of any team here because it doesn''t matter, I''m a Norwich supporter] than a drab affair between Norwich city and a so-called glamour club. That''s because I''m a fan of Norwich City (not the opposition), I remember the old first division before Sky money all but killed off any unpredictability/chance of a "smaller" club prevailing and, personally speaking , think the Chmpionship is far superior as a sporting contest. I am, obviously, also lacking the blind optomism of youth.

[quote user="Loopzilla"]

[/quote]

Now I''m not too certain about that.  I think I must be of the Nutty Nigel persuasion in that I go to watch Norwich and I get as excited about that whoever we are playing, be it away at a non-league Paulton Rovers in the FA Cup or at home to Inter and Bayern in the UEFA Cup.  Given the dross we were served up following our last relegation from the Premier League, I was far happier watching us stuff Scunthorpe in League 1 as I had been watching the end of season disgraces at Fulham and Charlton.  Man U are Man U FFS and on our day we are as capable of beating them as we are Donny and Scunny.

[quote user="Budgie"]Actually you are there to watch both. A one sided match would be a bit dull wouldn''t it?

Who are you to tell people how they should spend there money and what there motivations for attending a football match are?[/quote]
Oh come on Budgie!!  Haven''t you realised yet? Mungo and his cronies are the reason that Norwich are who they are and where they are.  It has nothing to do with we ''part time glory hunting fans'' albeit 40 years of part time glory hunting season ticket holding.  We must aspire to be like them!!
Forget your family! Forget work! Never mind upsetting the wife and forget ALL other commitments!  You MUST be like Mungo!! If you do not attend a midweek match, for whatever reason, YOU ARE NOT A FAN!!! Period.  How dare you question their wisdom!!
Mind you, I don''t know how half of them manage to sneak out at night and still get up for school [*-)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Loopzilla"]

[/quote]

That''s true to a point but I know that it''s difficult to predict which game is most worth the money. You can only decide that after you''ve been. If all your favourite games have been against big names then I would suggest that it''s those teams that attract you. Middlesboro at home 04/05 being an example of what I''m trying to say.

[/quote]

Fair enough Nutty, but I''m suggesting that my favourite games have been against the big names, just that I want to see my team taking on, competing with, and beating the top teams in the league. A NCFC win against any team is a joy to behold, but who doesn''t really get even more excited by the possibility of beating the best?

It is natural that more people will want to attend these games, for all number of reasons, and yeah, some of those will be attracted by the big name opposition players also, but I think a lot of those on here suggesting that anyone that does is a lesser supporter are simply playing the "I''m a better fan than you" card.

[quote user="Loopzilla"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Loopzilla"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair enough Nutty, but I''m NOT suggesting that my favourite games have been against the big names, just that I want to see my team taking on, competing with, and beating the top teams in the league. A NCFC win against any team is a joy to behold, but who doesn''t really get even more excited by the possibility of beating the best?

It is natural that more people will want to attend these games, for all number of reasons, and yeah, some of those will be attracted by the big name opposition players also, but I think a lot of those on here suggesting that anyone that does is a lesser supporter are simply playing the "I''m a better fan than you" card.

[/quote]

Ooops - should read "I''m NOT suggesting"! [:)]

I''m talking about theoretical stuff here.

Before the game you have no idea whats going to happen. And like I said, i''ll watch Norwich against anyone happily.

But take 2-0 win against Man.U in 2005, last years 2-1 win against Spurs. Those two results were ''better'' than most other 2-0 and 2-1 wins we''ve had. Would you rather we beat Man.U 2-0 or Aldershot 2-0?

Its not about watching the opposition, its about watching your team beat the opposition. And surely its logical that beating a better team is better. There is nothing wrong with lower league games, you get some great results in the Championship, some very open games. But theoretically, before knowing what the game will be like, regardless of cost and knowing you''d go to every game you can get to anyway, would you rather we played and beat Man.U or played and beat Sheffield Wednesday? Regardless of the performances, as far as you know we might beat Man.U 3-0 in a fantastic display, but scrap a 1-0 against Wednesday in a rubbish game.

I don''t swallow this "real fan" shite anymore. We come in all shapes and sizes.

As a teenager I was incapable of missing one second of the Carrow Road action, real games, reserve games, friendly games. I pitched my tent in the car park for convenience.

We move on, we age .......  dur, dur, dur. The good, the bad and the ugly of priorities raise their heads at regular intervals. 

Nowadays I plan all the logistics of going to a game (mostly in the London area now unfortunately) to the n''th degree and it is no longer a case of blind adherence to the cause as far as I am concerned. I''ve done my bit and now weigh up the pros and cons on the day. Streams induce absence to be honest.

IMO supporting the Canaries should be a pleasure, not a penance and I intend keeping it that way. Therefore I am now longer a true supporter in the eyes of some. So what?

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I don''t swallow this "real fan" shite anymore. We come in all shapes and sizes.

As a teenager I was incapable of missing one second of the Carrow Road action, real games, reserve games, friendly games. I pitched my tent in the car park for convenience.

We move on, we age .......  dur, dur, dur. The good, the bad and the ugly of priorities raise their heads at regular intervals. 

Nowadays I plan all the logistics of going to a game (mostly in the London area now unfortunately) to the n''th degree and it is no longer a case of blind adherence to the cause as far as I am concerned. I''ve done my bit and now weigh up the pros and cons on the day. Streams induce absence to be honest.

IMO supporting the Canaries should be a pleasure, not a penance and I intend keeping it that way. Therefore I am now longer a true supporter in the eyes of some. So what?

[/quote]

[Y]

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

Spot on!  As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as a ''true'' supporter, only a supporter - and that can vary from someone who can struggle financially or for wahtever reason to see no more than one game a season to someone who can see every conceivable Norwich game.  It also doesn''t exclude those that for whatever reason (health, finance, distance etc etc) that can only follow City via TV or radio - if they support Norwich then they support Norwich!

Broadstairs you''re a true supporter in the eyes of anyone with half a brian.

There are loads of justifiable reasons for not being able to get to all/many even any games. If you''re brought up a Norwich fan, either because you''re from Norwich, or your family are from Norwich and have moved away etc, it doesn''t matter if you don''t live near Norwich.

My Grandad has moved about a lot in his life, until he moved to Norwich about 30 years ago. Born in Eastbourne he followed the local side, but whenever he had enough money and his Mother would let him, he''d go watch Brighton, because they were in the football league proper. He did his National Service in London, and went to any midweek Chelsea games with a few of his mates, but on weekends would often go back home, and again often watch Eastbourne. He later moved to Southampton, and followed them as the nearest team. Back to London, and followed Chelsea briefly before moving to Norwich. Where he went with a friend for a few years, before they moved away when he stopped going (partly due to Robert Chase as well he said), and it wasn''t until 2000 when I was 8 and asked to go to Football.

If anything, i''d say he''s the poor supporter. He still follows Eastbourne to an extent (can''t remember which one, there are 3 of them...), but as he likes to watch Football, and live, he''s always gone to see his local side, and as a result of that ''supported'' them.

What you''ve done Broadstairs, and LDC, and many many other fans, is continued your support of Norwich despite moving away and making attending games very time consuming and expensive. Mungo claims to live close to Carrow Road, I think he said 5 minute walk once, thats no effort at all to get to Carrow Road.

I have it both ways, being away for over half the year, with a lot of that being during the season there are only a few home games I can attend while home and the rest I have to travel for if I can afford it time and money wise. I might not have a huge amount to do a lot of the time, then money becomes an issue, I get a part time job, so I have the money then I don''t have the time. I assume you older fans who live elsewhere and support Norwich probably have families and full time jobs. If someone can''t understand why you can''t make it to every Norwich game, well quite frankly they don''t deserve to call them self a supporter. Its all very well living in Norwich and going to every home game, thats easy, all you need is money, i''d go as far as saying any Nrowich fan who lives hours away and still gets to a few home games every season is ''better'' as far as you can say that.

But to be honest, anyone who says they support Norwich, is a Norwich supporter. I don''t care if you live in Norwich, Ipswich, Scotland or Outer Mongolia. Wether you attend every game or one game a season. Wether you couldn''t be bothered at all to go watch a first round cup match against some rubbish opponent, or wether you only want to spend your money on watching Norwich play the big boys. It doesn''t matter.

Continuing the personals Gp. My old boy lived and breathed NCFC. Knew many players on a social level and was even friends with Sir Geoff.

I can remember quite a few Saturdays in the past when he declined to attend because he was unhappy with the fayre.

"What time do we leave today dad?"

"I think I''ll play (indoor) bowls today, rather than watch that old rubbish in the cold."

Fair weather supporter? No way. He bled y&g.