Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Van Persie thigh injury

I hope he is fit to start against us. I would much prefer us to lose against their strongest team than pick up one or three undeserved points against a weakened Man Utd. There would be no satisfaction in that. I''m sure all true football fans feel the same.

Rooney is supposedly injured as well. Sorry Purple but I don''t see your logic at all - if it mean City picking up 3 points I don''t care whether we are playing United''s first team or their U7 B team. 3 points is 3 points closer to survival, and to be honest that is all we should care about as Norwich fans. Arsenal were without Wilshere, Szczęsny and Walcott (I think?) against us - meaning it wasn''t their strongest team, are you telling me that you didn''t get satisfaction from beating them?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I hope he is fit to start against us. I would much prefer us to lose against their strongest team than pick up one or three undeserved points against a weakened Man Utd. There would be no satisfaction in that. I''m sure all true football fans feel the same.[/quote]Are you messing with my mind?

Any points against Man U would be most welcome and highly satisfying. I''m pretty sure 1 of the biggest clubs in the world can make do without VP.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]I hope he is fit to start against us. I would much prefer us to lose against their strongest team than pick up one or three undeserved points against a weakened Man Utd. There would be no satisfaction in that. I''m sure all true football fans feel the same.[/quote]Are you messing with my mind?[/quote]Had me going there for a minute too PC.

We beat them with Rooney and the "Best Player In The World" TM  before,so these clowns should be no trouble[:|]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I hope he is fit to start against us. I would much prefer us to lose against their strongest team than pick up one or three undeserved points against a weakened Man Utd. There would be no satisfaction in that. I''m sure all true football fans feel the same.[/quote]

You been taking those funny things again?

If anyone''s going to trouble us on Saturday it will be Hernandez. For some reason our defence hasn''t been able to deal with the Hernandez/Suarez/Aguero type striker since we''ve been in the prem. Also, I wouldn''t feel any less satisfied getting 3pts of a team with Welbeck up front! :P

to be fair oli this seasons defence with bassong bears little resemblance to last years. hopefully we can see that on sat!

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I hope he is fit to start against us. I would much prefer us to lose against their strongest team than pick up one or three undeserved points against a weakened Man Utd. There would be no satisfaction in that. I''m sure all true football fans feel the same.[/quote]

You been taking those funny things again?

[/quote]

Morison''s Prozac apparently.

OTBC

Great player as he is, if he keeps Hernandez on the bench for most of the game then that''s great.  Id rather face a VPersie with a niggle rather than an in form and busting for a start Hernandez.This is going to be an interesting game too....United''s major weakness is their defence.  We really need to get at them.  If we sit off and allow them to play in front of us i think we''ll be looking at a Liverpool scoreline.  If Villa can score two and waste more chances then we should easily be able to match that.....however we can also defend supposedly.So really it should be about 3 or 4 nil to us :P

Anyone who thinks VP & Rooney will be missing from the MU line-up on Saturday is living in dreamland, their recovery from ''injury'' will shame the efforts of Lazarus.Unless my memory deceives me Ryan Giggs, that symbol of Welshness and idol of the leek-eaters, managed to avoid playing in nearly all friendly matches for his native country thanks to a sicknote from his manager.Fergie will not be treating this match lightly and will have all his big guns available.

I love the idea that if we beat Man U and they were missing van Persie and Rooney, that victory would somehow be "undeserved".  They have such a wafer-thin squad, after all.

But I''m expecting both of them to be available and it''s just a case of which of his world-class strikers AF decides to start with.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]The most difficult obstacle we had to overcome last season vs them was the ref at Old Trafford. [/quote]

Is Saturday''s ref travelling down with them?

I expect we will see all three of Chicarito, Rooney and Van Persie playing.
Fergie heavily hinted at the weekend that Hernandez will start the next game as you can''t not select someone who scores a hat-trick. If VP is fit i expect he will be alongside him, with Rooney playing this midfield role.
Man U will see this as a game they must win but also a difficult game, we are on a good run of form and they have fallen behind in 9 out of 11 games this season (i believe), Fergie will be drilling into them that it cannot happen again and they must go out this weekend to buck that trend.
I am not majorly concerned over Rooney in midfield, so long as our DMs don''t give him time or space we can nullify that threat, i am more concerned over the movement of the two front men, where we have looked suspect in the last few matches is when the ball is played on the floor with the opposition strikers pulling off Turner. We are very solid at defending crosses but we don''t have the most agile CB in Turner and i expect Man U will look to exploit that.
Saying all this, i do think we will get a draw out of this game, Man u have looked very poor in the first half of their games, if we can capitalise on this again and go in to half time with a lead i think we have every opportunity of holding on to a point, perhaps even 3.

You''d like to think Fergie has a lot of respect for us, he won''t take this game lightly, think of the last four games between us.

In 04/05 we narrowly lost at Old Trafford, if I remember correctly we were close to taking the lead, and had a good penalty shout turned down? And I think that was the game when Alan Smith scored a cracker. Then we beat them later in the season, they ''rested'' a few players, but still had a strong team and we were just better.

Last season, like the away game in 04, both games were tight, we didn''t necessarily deserve to lose on the balance of play. Pilks had a fantastic chance to give us the lead at Old Trafford, and then they just picked us off. And at Carrow Road Scholes and Giggs has to pull Utd out of trouble.

Anyway, back to the point, Van Persie and Rooney will be fit, as most already appear to know. Fergie doesn''t like internationals, and is very good at pulling players out of friendlies. Hernandez is the real threat at the moment. Our best hope is he''s just a super sub, and he''ll start and be rubbish :) If they play all three, and all are on top form, i''m afraid we have no chance. But if we play with the defensive performance we have given for the majority of the last four league games it''ll be a very tough game for Man.U, regardless of how many of these strikers are fit and playing.

Isn''t it true historically that games between Norwich and Man Utd have almost always been tight score lines and good games?

We usually give a good account of ourselves, especially when we build into the game.

On that basis I''ll take a tight and competitive 1st half (again) as point accumulation is the name of he game until we can get in a decent striker.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]I hope he is fit to start against us. I would much prefer us to lose against their strongest team than pick up one or three undeserved points against a weakened Man Utd. There would be no satisfaction in that. I''m sure all true football fans feel the same.[/quote]

Are you messing with my mind?

[/quote]

Apparently Wayne Rooney may now be absent through injury. In that case I do hope Hughton leaves Hoolahan out of our squad. Morally speaking it would be the right thing to do.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

I''n now convinced Purple is on the juice. As I''ve always believed, we are all flawed.

[/quote]

I know where Purps is coming from - c''mon City, we can do this!

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

I''n now convinced Purple is on the juice. As I''ve always believed, we are all flawed.

[/quote]

Yankee, I am shocked by your cynicism and lack of corinthian spirit. I just want to see a fair battle between equals. If it was one of those foreign-owned mega-rich clubs we were playing I might understand you viewpoint. But Man Utd are the poor relations of Lancashire football, having stayed true to their aptly-named Small Heath origins. Even now, I gather, they are owned by some local firm of glaziers. Compared to them we are the giants, and I just think if they have some kind of injury crisis we should adjust our team accordingly. There really would be no satisfaction in a one-sided encounter.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Isn''t it true historically that games between Norwich and Man Utd have almost always been tight score lines and good games?

We usually give a good account of ourselves, especially when we build into the game.

On that basis I''ll take a tight and competitive 1st half (again) as point accumulation is the name of he game until we can get in a decent striker.[/quote]

Not if you remember 1993 [:(]