Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

Who can we not afford to lose through injury at the moment and where to invest in Jan

We are on a top run of form at the moment and i don''t believe that is a coincidence. Hughton has brought in some top signings and some experience into our backline that we were severely lacking last season. Last year''s players have continued to perform in the prem, while others, such as Wes, who were sidelined a lot last year have shown they deserve a regular place.
I would say we have been fairly lucky with injuries this season and have a slight fear that a loss of one or two key players could cause some issues, luckily January is not too far away and we can invest in a couple more quality signings, either perms or on load.
I think the core of our team has been phenomenal in recent weeks, the likes of Turner, Bassong, Tettey, BJ, Wes and Holt have been immense. If one or two of those players were to get injured we could be in trouble.
We saw early on that our backline looked very suspect without Bassong in it, now that may be because the team were still gelling and getting used to hughton''s way of playing, but i do believe when Bassong plays all the defenders step their game up, if we were to lose him for a sustained period of time i would be concerned that the backline could get shaky. Bennett would seem the obvious replacement, but he is inexperienced at this top level and makes a few mistake- would another CB be on my shopping list for January to cover any potential injuries? I am not so sure, i think R Martin or Bennett can do a job there and the team would manage.
Tettey is an interesting one, he is quickly becoming one of my favourite city players and when i watch him play I cannot help but think we got a real steal here - a very Newcastle type of signing, relatively unknown, fairly cheap but pure class! We do have plenty of midfielders to come in, perhaps no like for like replacements, but we have plenty of midfielders among our ranks and don''t see this as an essential position that needs investment at the moment.
Wes and Holt, two players who define what it is to be NCFC, two never say die attitudes and two players who bleed green and yellow. Now i have not always been Wes'' biggest fan, but he has to be the form player at the moment, he pulls the strings for us and dictates most of our play. We don''t have any other players remotely similar to Wes in my eyes, but we do have players who can play that position behind the striker- Howson and Butterfield spring to mind. Therefore, although the quality would drop if Wes was to get injured, i think we have the ability within our squad to cope.
Holt may not have scored in his last 4/5 games, but he brings so much more to the team and he is the player i really feel like we would miss if he got injured. This thread isn''t for me to criticise Morrison, but i don''t think he is near the standard of Holt. Jackson has looked good this season, but to play him would mean changing to 4 4 2, something i don''t see happening for a while. We really don''t have a ready made replacement for holt who i think we could rely on for a sustained period of time.
To conclude, i think Bassong and Holt are the two players who, were they to get injured, could cause the team some problems. I do think we have suitable cover at the back in Bennett and Martin, but see another CB on the shopping list come the summer. However, if Holt were to get injured we would have greater problems and i would suggest that for that reason, we should invest the majority of January''s cash, if not all of it, on a strong number 9 who could fit into our 4 5 1 system - someone like Wickham, or preferably an unknown gem from abroad.
O just an after-thought, i also see the wingers as perhaps a position that would need improving, we only really have 3 on our books (Bennet, Snodgrass and Pilkington) and I could imagine a pacey winger would add another dimension to the team- perhaps a potential loan signing here? 

Agree with Bassong. Not convinced with Holt, we could have beaten United without him.

In the current system we are playing Holt isn''t seeing enough of the ball in the box ( where he is best ) When Holt is our furthest man forward and receives the ball around the half way line he has no other choice but to play for a foul. I fully expect an athletic tall striker to come in in January to challenge his role. ( que barrage of hate towards me for saying something slightly Holt negative )

I''ll add Hoolahan instead of Holt. Doing wonders keeping possession and forcing chances. Not sure Howson is as capable.

Funny cause I think Howson can do a different job and so if hoops got an injury it would be different but still positive.

Bassong, turner, garrido and tettey look to be key players so far.

[quote user="smooth"]Funny cause I think Howson can do a different job and so if hoops got an injury it would be different but still positive.

Bassong, turner, garrido and tettey look to be key players so far.[/quote]
I agree about Howson, i think if he were to come in our game would plan would adapt to losing Wes.
Garrido has been quality as-well, seems if we stay up he wants to join, so that is a huge positive, his has a quality cross and reads the game well too.

We''ve got great strength in depth at the moment. We almost have 2 full starting line ups, which is why were doing so well in the cup and we have 9 players out on loan. But we can''t lose Bassong. He''s the core of the defence and we looked weak without him.

Thinking about new signings, there isn''t really any position that sticks out because we have great balance in the team. If anything I would like to see another left winger to challenge Pilkington because Hughton seem to be reluctant to play Bennett or Snodgrass there.  

Bassong is the standout player for me in your scenario, the defence looks far less organised and solid without him. Saying that, now Whittaker has come in, if Bassong was to get injured I would perhaps say replace with Martin rather than Bennett as he showed last year he could play that role well and more importantly marshal the defence. But I''d still say Bassong is the one player above all else I now fear us losing.

I''m surprised you''ve not mentioned Ruddy. Bunns heroics in the cup have silenced the people asking why we bought him, and I think its a sensible move as if Ruddy was injured all season I would be happier with him stepping up for the long term than Rudd or Steer. I don''t doubt eithers ability but there experience is not sufficient for a long run of games. But if Ruddy was to get injured he is one of our truly class talents that would walk into most prem sides and it would be a big blow.

I struggle to see where the creativity would come from without Hoolahan, and none of the similar players Howson, Butterfield, Snodgrass have proved they can play his role anywhere near his effectiveness.

For me I would like to see us build on current systems success in Jan. I would really like to see someone come in with Johnson''s defensive abilities but Fox''s passing range. No idea who that is and hopefully Hughton pulls out another Tettey like gem from the continent. But if we had such a player it would take some of the pressure off Hoolahan as currently everything pretty much goes through him.

Having seen the Spurs Cup win and Stoke game I am convinced we have deputies for everyone except Wes, with Butterfield on loan.

The players came in and fell into what The Independent paper called our well drilled team.

Come December we will need the squad which is why Butterfield is only away a month to get his fitness up.

As for a buy we need a striker in the mole of Ba or

Odemwinge ie pace on the shoulder of the last defender, size and an eye for goal. We''re probably needing to look abroad. I wonder if Alex Tettey can recommend anyone?

For me tetty 100%. He owns the midfield and has a engine I have not seen since Gary holt. This guy I can see in a Newcastle/ Everton team. We would be screwed without him

Lots of people will say defensive players like Tettey, Bassong and Turner and although I would agree with that I still think it''s vital that Grant Holt stays fit. I know that Grant is starting to have another little dry patch but I think he is the only player that gives us any real presence up front and I think we''re psychologically different when he''s not in the team, until we have some more quality up front; Holt is the one player I would most hate to see injured.

[quote user="Koreacanary"]Lots of people will say defensive players like Tettey, Bassong and Turner and although I would agree with that I still think it''s vital that Grant Holt stays fit. I know that Grant is starting to have another little dry patch but I think he is the only player that gives us any real presence up front and I think we''re psychologically different when he''s not in the team, until we have some more quality up front; Holt is the one player I would most hate to see injured.[/quote]

I agree with what you''re saying about Holt and psychology in the team etc. It''s the same with Bassong in defence though and Tettey/Johnson in midfield. Even Ruddy against Man Utd was commanding and screaming orders to those around him. I honestly would hate to have a single player injured right now as each one is working so well in this team/system. I actually asked for us to look at competition for Pilks as he was kind of ineffective recently, but then he goes and has a great game against Man Utd! Hopefully he continues that now and carries more confidence in his game.