Sign in to follow this  
NMTD

This is the table you should really look at....

http://www.anony.ws/b2P   

This table shows where we are right now based on the results in the same fixtures LAST season. Where some people have pointed aout that we are 1 point ahead of this time last year I would go as far as saying we are 5 points ahead of last season.

I have replaced West Ham, Reading and Southampton with Blackburn, Wolves and Bolton respectively.

This is all great, but what the table also shows is that on a match for match basis we are now entering a run of 7 games where we were unbeaten and took 15 points from 21. That could be areal tall order, but if we get anywhere near 10 we are still going to be on track.

The other thing the table shows is how after Christmas it really should be our home form that will make all the difference with only 6 points taken away from home in the corresponding fixtures last season.

Anyway, hope you like the analysis - now you can disect it!

Minor point, but it would be a little bit more scientific if you replaced the promoted/relegated teams in a more logical manner.

You''d expect the Championship winners to be the better of the promoted teams, and as such you''d use them to replace the top relegated side (i.e. the better of the relegated teams) and so on.

Therefore, Reading to replace Bolton, Southampton to replace Blackburn and West Ham to replace Wolves?

While before I was comparing last season with this season, I think its likely we''ll win more points against teams we didn''t last season.

Hughton''s tactics work well against some sides more than others. Our main problem in my view, is that we don''t really have a way to change our team. In theory we do, but in practise nothing has worked. There is a slight difference with Jackson, but he doesn''t like scoring anymore, think he doesn''t want to hurt the GKs feelings...

So while we have dropped points against QPR, Spurs away, possibly West Ham (depending who you swap them with) we have gained 6 points against Arsenal and Man.U. I can see us picking up more points against those two, Chelsea at home, Spurs at home, Everton, Newcastle at home and a few others that we might not have got points against last season.

I wouldn''t be shocked if we beat Everton then lose to Southampton.

Fourth on current form and that would see us in 11th place projected to end of season. But that really matters not, still a long way to go.

[quote user="Stephen Frys Evil Twin"]

Minor point, but it would be a little bit more scientific if you replaced the promoted/relegated teams in a more logical manner.

You''d expect the Championship winners to be the better of the promoted teams, and as such you''d use them to replace the top relegated side (i.e. the better of the relegated teams) and so on.

Therefore, Reading to replace Bolton, Southampton to replace Blackburn and West Ham to replace Wolves?

[/quote]

I started this table before the Reading game. I picked the combinations I did as of the promoted teams I expected West Ham to be the strongest and Reading/Southampton to be much of a muchness. I thought we would be most likely to lose away at West Ham and win away at Southampton to make my substitutions seem fair.

Either way, it just goes to show how well Hughton is doing. Obviously the more the better, but if we can hit 21 - 24 points by end of Boxing Day I would be happy with that.

I note with the Arsenal & Man U games at home, the "goals for" is the same for both season [ 1 ] it''s just that, for both matches, the "goals against" was reduced from 2 to 0 !

York you are totally right.

14 points now, get to about 19 or 20 and we will be on target if we can before the end of yr. We have a tough Xmas run, but if we can be near 20 points and with new players coming in we will be in a good place.

Although that is very intriguing I wouldn''t read too much into it. There are a few flaws, particularly replacing teams with promoted sides, as well as the fact teams have improved/declined on last season.

The way we''re playing this season compared to last season means we''ve got a better chance against the stronger sides as we''re not as naive & gung ho as we were under Lambert. However we don''t seem able to out score the sides around us & have therefore drawn a lot of close games we probably won last season.

I''m a big advocate of 1 game at a time, we''re capable of beating anybody, particuarly at home but if we''re off our game we''ll get beaten.