Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

The Sun reporting we've offrered 5m for Danny Graham

For me there are two things to consider. The first one is relatively straightforward. I am immensely surprised people are saying he is no better than what we already have. This is a man who hit 23 goals in the Championship in 2010/11 and 12 in the Premiership the year afterwards playing as a lone striker which we currently employ as a system at the moment.

For all his endeavour and good work Simeon Jackson is never going to return those kind of goalscoring figures. Sadly neither is Steve Morison. The way things are going I just can''t see him recapturing his form between September - December 2011 when he rightfully kept Holty out of the side.

The second point to consider though is the transfer fee. I know strikers are expensive but £5 million would represent a club record signing to us. Its a significant amount of money for a club like Norwich to spend. Can we justify spending that on a player who wouldn''t automatically command a starting place ahead of Holty?

yep, it all makes sense

McNally ponders whether to phone Cardiff or the Sun first

"Hello, is that the sports desk , could you put me through to the football desk ? Hello, err, how old are you ... 17, is there anyone older, what your are the football desk"

The idea that either club would phone a newspaper is laughable as is the idea that the only other party, the agent would do so is equally laughable, likewise the idea that they would then release details of a proposed fee,

To what end ?

This is a club who consistently refer transfers with the words ''fee undisclosed'' yet folk are over exciting themselves that two multi million pound businesses would think it important to contact some pimply fred who spends most of his time trawling fans forums and copying up PR puff from football agents.

Hmmmm

The opinions on here blow my mind sometimes.I''d have Graham here in an instant!This is the same guy who, as others have stated, blasted goals in the Championship and a load last season.This is the same guy that was touted for an England cap all season long with our Holt and many on here stated they''d rather Graham given a chance as younger!5million is an absolute steal to be honest....Anyone that thinks Graham wouldn''t be an improvement on Jackson needs their head read!!! :SDoubt there is anything in it, but if there is.....wont find a better striker for that money.

Some pretty shameful comments on here re Morison!

What on earth has he done to deserve such a pasting? The poor bloke has barely played this season. He may have featured in most games, but he''s usually being brought on in the last ten minutes ffs. You may as well say all the same things about Jackson, he''s had a similar impact from the bench.

When he has come on this season, i can''t once remember thinking that he''s not been good enough. Was excellent on saturday, and certainly earned us a point at spurs in a game that was slipping away until Moro came on. He''s still being judged for lack of goals in second half of last season. Just a thought, but maybe the dogs abuse he was getting from some of our ''fans'' didn''t help lift his form? He''s looked keen all season, and at some point this season he will get his chance. I just hope that come that time he hasn''t had the confidence knocked out of him again by all the internet bitching and sniping.

As for Graham...Yes please!

It`s such a shame that our players are treated in this way by

undesirable elements, they are so few but make so much noise dear, empty

vessels I call them and of course they all know who they are!

So Morison comes on the pinkun and reads the posts and gets upset so doesn''t play well? Makes sense...

You are completely ignoring the point he''s getting a chance, he''s not taking it. Holt was on the bench last season, while we were winning games and he still got himself back into the starting line up, Morison hasn''t.

And how on earth does some people not rating Morison particularly highly effect his performance? thats the most ridiculous thing i''ve ever read on here, surely you aren''t serious?

And in what was was he excellent on Saturday? He only got the ball twice didn''t he? Yeah both times he did well, but if having possession twice can get a rating of excellent...

And he isn''t even getting a pasting, as far as I can see its only Nexus thats said he''s crap. I''ve mainly been stating facts with a bit of opinion here and there. Morison HAS NOT forced his way into the team like Holt did when he was benched, why is that? He''s had more than long enough to do so...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]And you do all realise there are players at every single club that some fans don''t like? Get over it.[/quote]

Do you think hearing your own fans boo you (yes, that happened to Morison home & away last year, and it has happened to Turner this year) or reading continuous drivel on the internet about how crap you are won''t affect a players confidence, and in turn his form?

Morison IS good enough, he was in the first half of last season and he can be again, I''m confident that Hughton can work out how to get the best out of him again, I was certainly encouraged by his (brief) performance against United.

Well said Mr Brownstone, I am sure I know you from somewhere, maybe a garden party?  Mr Morrison gave what I would call a cameo performance on Saturday and it was top notch!  People perform better when they are loved and feel valued, the ginger fellow has a lot to learn about life!

No it isn''t going to help. But Surman has had it, Ward, Turner, even Ruddy all in the last season and a half, Holt this summer. Why have none of them been effected?

And I was very encouraged by Morisons performance against Spurs, he changed the game, but next game he does nothing. I''m not confidant Hughton can work out how to get the best out of him, because he hasn''t done so yet. Morison has done some good things this season, but only in 3 or 4 games.

Yes Morison is good enough, as I have said multiple times I like him. I want him to get back to his best. But he''s had so long to do it, i''ll go back to Holt again, when he was dropped Morison was playing well, we were winning games and performing well, yet Holt still got himself back in the team. If Morison can''t do that over half a season and 12 games + cups, when is he going to do it? Please someone tell me. I would love to see Morison back to that, because he is a great player when on form.

But he just isn''t getting back to that. And it isn''t because a few people on the internet say he''s crap.

[quote user="canarygirl"]Well said Mr Brownstone, I am sure I know you from somewhere, maybe a garden party?  Mr Morrison gave what I would call a cameo performance on Saturday and it was top notch!  People perform better when they are loved and feel valued, the ginger fellow has a lot to learn about life! [/quote]

Have you read any of my posts?

In fact has anyone? I''m not saying Morison is rubbish, or useless or needs to leave immediately. I''m saying quite politely he hasn''t been performing anywhere near the level he showed early last season pretty much since Wolves away in December last year, nearly a whole calendar year without reaching those same heights. Other players have come out of being dropped, being unpopular, being booed and gotten themselves back in the team, back in the majority of fans good books. Why hasn''t Morison?

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="canarygirl"]Well said Mr Brownstone, I am sure I know you from somewhere, maybe a garden party?  Mr Morrison gave what I would call a cameo performance on Saturday and it was top notch!  People perform better when they are loved and feel valued, the ginger fellow has a lot to learn about life! [/quote]

Have you read any of my posts?

In fact has anyone? I''m not saying Morison is rubbish, or useless or needs to leave immediately. I''m saying quite politely he hasn''t been performing anywhere near the level he showed early last season pretty much since Wolves away in December last year, nearly a whole calendar year without reaching those same heights. Other players have come out of being dropped, being unpopular, being booed and gotten themselves back in the team, back in the majority of fans good books. Why hasn''t Morison?[/quote]

There are rather a lot of them dear! Of course as Arthur always told the children, it`s what you say not how often you say it! But I do know you are a lovely boy with that thick mop of Ginger hair and those horn rim glasses!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]

No it isn''t going to help. But Surman has had it, Ward, Turner, even Ruddy all in the last season and a half, Holt this summer. Why have none of them been effected?

[/quote]

Different strokes for different folks. One of the first things you learn as a manager in any industry is that different people need managing differently because they are all different. Some need an arm round the should, some need a kick up the backside. Some need the carrot, some need the stick. Something obviously affected Moro''s form in the 2nd half of last season, whether that was the injury or something in his personal life, but whatever that was was then compounded by the abuse he recieved from those who were supposed to support him making it 10 times worse. I was thoroughly embarassed to see one of our players feel like he had to give his own fans the "Ssssshhhh" goal celebration.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

Different strokes for different folks. One of the first things you learn as a manager in any industry is that different people need managing differently because they are all different. Some need an arm round the should, some need a kick up the backside. Some need the carrot, some need the stick. Something obviously affected Moro''s form in the 2nd half of last season, whether that was the injury or something in his personal life, but whatever that was was then compounded by the abuse he recieved from those who were supposed to support him making it 10 times worse. I was thoroughly embarassed to see one of our players feel like he had to give his own fans the "Ssssshhhh" goal celebration.

[/quote]

I''m also embarrassed by my spelling of embarrassed!

Both Morison & Jackson need to wait for their opportunity this season - it''s a long season. At the moment their best chance to see action is as subs coming off the bench where if tactics are required for an aerial bombardment (Morison) or extra pace around the fringes (Jackson). Danny Graham is a lot like Morison as he only scores goals & doesn''t do a lot else. We haven''t that much money so for 5 million I''d prefer us to be looking for a striker similar to Kevin Keegan

Thats part of my point Brownstone.

It might not be fair on him, but Morison obviously has reasons for not performing, he''s had a while and hasn''t got himself back into the team. He isn''t showing his early last season self.

Unless he manages to turn that around, he''s not going to be good enough for us. We need to improve, not get worse. If Morison can get back to form then great, but if he can''t deal with fans not liking him then thats unlikely to happen.

Thats part of my point Brownstone. It might not be fair on him, but Morison obviously has reasons for not performing, he''s had a while and hasn''t got himself back into the team. He isn''t showing his early last season self. Unless he manages to turn that around, he''s not going to be good enough for us. We need to improve, not get worse. If Morison can get back to form then great, but if he can''t deal with fans not liking him then thats unlikely to happen.

[/quote]

That''s Mr Brownstone to you!

You do make it sound like it''s a concious descision on his part not to perform, which obviously isn''t the case. I think he''s shown enough in the cameo''s he''s made recently to suggest that Hughton might have him on the path to returning to the player we know he can be.

ok, so GP, i agree morison was poor for the second half of the season, but had a very good first scoring almost as much as Graham did for the whole of last season. Whether he was having injections and playing through the pain barrier as a poster states i think is pretty irrelevant as he still didn''t perform through it.

secondly, graham was playing as a lone striker and was their main target man; someone to get on the end of those crosses, tap ins an so on, yet only managed to score 12 goals, (which is not a bad return) compared to holt with around 16 and morison who only played regularly for the first half of the season -( which was his own fault for not perfoming )- and scored 10. In summary of last season Morison blew his chance last season as he didn''t look interested and fell out of form which was the complete opposite to the start of last season where he scored 10.

This season I think he''s done really well, I personally don''t know what you''ve been watching, (but you have got B Johnson as your picture who was dreadful last season, though as everyone has seen has been fantastic with tettey next to him this season.) but think Moro has been good so far this season (its still early); looks interested and can hold the ball up well.

Graham on the other hand look like a slightly younger, not as good grant holt, whereas as we look to become an established Prem side, I think we need to splash out a bit to get proper quality instead of a fairly decent striker.

Of course, I realise we don''t have the money this season to spend say £8m on a striker, but perhaps a loan to get us through the season and then buy next season. Hopefully someone young (around 23) who can then grow with squad?

Well no its not a conscious decision, thats part of the problem.

And these performances haven''t been consistent, he played very well against Spurs, was ok against Villa and did well enough the couple times he got the ball against Man.U, he needs more game time. He clearly doesn''t like being on the bench, he was so much better when he was starting. But he''s not doing enough to get that time on the pitch. If he were really impressing why couldn''t Hughton take Holt or Hoolahan off at HT, or after an hour? Rather than after 75/80 mins? Hoolahan and Holt have been playing well, but both have had games when they weren''t at there best.

I don''t think he has shown enough, seriously he only got the ball a couple times against Man.U, ok both times he did something good, but how is that enough? If thats enough for our second choice striker then quite frankly we should be relegated...

A big no to Graham. Not because he is a bad player, but he just has no pace whatsoever, and if there is one thing we lack at the moment is pace up front. Also, I hate his goal celebration.

Johnson was dreadful last season but Morison has been good this season?

Right, ok...

Spurs, Villa and Man.U. Every other game, of which there are 11/12 in all comps, what exactly has he done?

Johnson was far from dreadful last season, he started and ended the season well. He worked his way back into the team and the fans good books because there was a spell when he was poor. Morison hasn''t done that. I''ll say it again, I like Morison, I want him to be playing well, but he hasn''t been, 3 out of 14/15 this season isn''t good. A lot of those have only been short appearances, but its up to him to make the manager give him more time on the pitch. At the moment there is no selection problem for Hughton up front, he has no one he wants to bring in for Hoolahan and Holt other than in the last 10/15 mins to give them a little rest.

If Morison starts playing like we know he can, then Holt will struggle to keep his place. Or Hoolahan will play a bit less and just go flat 4-4-2. But Morison isn''t playing like that, so isn''t forcing Hughton to make the difficult decision. And it doesn''t matter how well we are playing, because as I said when Holt was dropped we were winning games and playing well.

GP, he was on the pitch for about THREE minutes! What do you want from him?! Surely you''ve figured out by now that Hughton doesn''t make substitutions early in the game? That''s not Moro''s fault, that''s the way we operate now.

And you say that he needs more game time, but isn''t doing enough to get time on the pitch. A classic chicken and egg situation isn''t it? Or do you have some kind of insight into his lack of performance on the training pitch as well?

Finally, you seem to indicate that if he''s been impressing, Hughton would have brought him on earlier. Does that apply to all our subs? Doesn''t say much for Elliot Bennet does it?  

he only got the ball a couple times against Man.U, ok both times he did something good, but how is that enough?

[/quote]

What did you expect him to do in 5 minutes exactly, score a hat-trick?! What is enough for you against one of the best sides in Europe in 5 minutes?

He set up Howson for what should have been the goal that kiled the game off, controlled a ball with all the skill of Messi that had travelled so far it had snow on it, and made a general nuisance of himself. His chance will come and I look forward to seeing him take it.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

He set up Howson for what should have been the goal that kiled the game off,

[/quote]

If you wanted to be really critical you could say that he got the ball to Howson wrong by a holding on to it too long and then playing it to take Howson slightly wide of goal and giving him a less favourable angle.

Had he have played it just a couple of moments earlier it would have been bang in Howson''s stride and he''d have found it easier to go either side of the goalkeeper.

Howson should have finished it though.

what do you mean he hasn''t done enough to take holt or hoolahan off at half time

Those two have done fantastic. Hughton plays 1 up front and quite rightly that is holt as he''s better all round. Furthermore what the hell do expect him to do in the last 7 minutes of the games? although i wish hughton would make changes around the 65th - 75th minute he doesn''t. When he comes on for the last few minutes he has one job to do; make the ball stick. He does that perfectly, if he was given longer he would have more jobs to do ie- getting on the end of crosses, hold the ball up tap ins etc.

I can''t believe you thought BJ was good last season, but like i say has done well so far this season.

I didn''t want more from him.

But it was 5 minuets. And the fact that short spells are all he''s been getting in most games is exactly my point. He obviously isn''t doing enough to show Hughton he deserves more time.

If he now gets 20/30 mins or more against Everton then great. But if he doesn''t, then that 5 minuets was pretty much for nothing.

How come no one has mentioned the TWO league games Morison actually started?

Is it because he didn''t do very much?

Or because he was wonderful?

And what did he do in his 90 mins vs Spurs? The same team he came on against and played well against?

He''s been getting chances all season, why isn''t he taking them? Why isn''t he played like we know he can? And i''ve been accuse of being blindly optimistic before, but some of you lot are ridiculous, we are allowed to admit our players aren''t perfect. Morison has had 3 starts against Premiership opposition, last season that was enough for him. Last season he had nearly everyone saying Holt is useless up top on his own, Morison is much better.

I AM NOT saying Morison is rubbish, and we need to get rid of him. I am saying Morison is not playing like he can, and unless he can change that and get back to his best, we aren''t going to be as good as we were last season. We need two strikers who can perform all season. Not 1 1/2 and another one who doesn''t fit into the 1 man up top situation.