Sign in to follow this  
Darren

Pop star

Just reading the AGM article on main page it refers to a pop star trying to buy the club in 1982. I was not born then and it''s the first I heard of it. Just wondering if anyone knew who it was

I have a vague memory of this, can''t remember who it was other than he was a fairly low profile one hit wonder and ''star'' would be overstating his status.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Biggest local stars at the time -

Geno Washington & the Ram Jam Band
Peter Jay & the Jaywalkers
Paul Jones of Manfred Mann
[/quote]

Don''t think so.

We''re talking 1982 here not 1965!

It was "Serious Drinking" whose plan was to double admission prices but make the bar "all you can drink for a quid".The takeover nearly happened and the idea was trialled at the third round league cup replay against Chelmsford but unfortunately during the 25th minute of extra time one of those blue plastic cars took out the entire Chelmsford back four, goalkeeper, goalposts and the River End floodlights as its driver tried to beat the crowd and traffic by leaving just before the end. This incident was primarily to blame for the blue plastic cars being permanently banned from pitchside and also probably contributed to the tightening up of licensing laws at football grounds. Sadly the driver involved passed away in the late 1990''s without ever regaining soberness.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Biggest local stars at the time -Geno Washington & the Ram Jam BandPeter Jay & the JaywalkersPaul Jones of Manfred Mann[/quote]

Funny you should mention ''Peter Jay and the Jaywalkers'', MP - my father, Geoff Moss, was the bassist. My Dad would have definitely told me if Peter had ever tried to buy the club so I think it''s fair to say you can rule him out. Funny thing was, growing up knowing that Peter was running a circus with lots of performing clowns made me think for years that he owned Ipshit Town ''F''C, until I realised that Peter and his dad Jack were actually the proprietors of Yarmouth''s Hippodrome..... An easy mistake to make though, as I''m sure you''ll all agree ;)

[quote user="marvin the martian"]Adam " I''m a dandy highway man " Ant[/quote]

Adam Ant put on an excellent concert performance at the UEA on wednesday night.