Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Danny Graham

A few murmurings about Graham coming here in Jan for £5m. Now in todays Mirror, followingup lastbweeks Sun rumour. Firstly, to sign a striker who scored 14 PL goals last season would represent a major coup for us. I would be VERY happy to get him.

Of course, it could be a load of tripe, but here are some things for us to add 2 and 2 together...

- the Sun rumour last Week

- the Mirror rumour today (Tuesday)

- Danny Graham and Grant Holt are apparently friends. Their conversations on twitter are there for all to see. Holt mentioned last week to Graham that he was on his way to NCFC. Graham''s response hardly put a stop to the rumour. Holt also mentioned that he could be seeing him in ''Bar 11'' soon. For those not in the know, that''s a place in Tombland. The way Holt mentioned it, Graham must have been to Norwich previously for a night out.

- graham is from the North of England and played for 2 seasons at Carlisle. Must be a Holt link there!

- At last weeks AGM, Hughton was talking about potential January signings. He quoted that ''sometimes players become available you didn''t expect to be available''. Hmmm. I would add, to redress the balance, that Hughton and McNally also said they we''re looking in Eastern Europe.

Anyway, just quoting what I''ve read and heard over the past few days. Of course it could be a load of old baloney...

Yeah i saw this get rehashed in the mirror today. I assume they are just repeating the sun rumour and putting it alongside two potential continental strikers that Swansea are supposedly interested in.
Saying that, i do think there could be something in this, i am not sure i will read into the AGM as much as you, but i wasn''t there so i cannot really hold an opinion. I am curious about Graham''s response to Holt on twitter, i have been out of the twitter world for a few weeks so missed it all, didn''t realise Holt even had a new account.
He would be a top signing in my opinion, i remember when this got bought up a few days back, some posters were stating we should be making a bigger signing, or at least not signing a Swansea sub. That thinking is ridiculous, Ladrup obviously has his own style of play and wants to build a team of technically gifted footballers. Now Graham isn''t a particularly technical football, but he does score goals at every level, including in the prem. He is obviously an upgrade on Morison and some could even argue a better striker than Holt, if we could buy him for around 5M it would be one hell of a deal, it''s hard to buy league 1 strikers for that price (Rhodes)

It also has to be remembered that Hughton obviously wants to play the 4 5 1 or 4 4 1 1 for as long as he can, we knew this when he joined and our best results have come deploying it. With this being the case i doubt we will be bringing in a pacey poacher to replace Jackson, who has done an excellent job when asked to this season, but rather some direct competition for that lone striker spot which Holt has an almost automatic right too currently.

Whilst I agree about the validity of some of the stuff The Sun writes, it may be worth remembering that Charlie Wyett works for thema nd he seems to think on Twitter this signing ''Has legs''

Also, James Nursey works for The Mirror and most of the Norwich related stuff comes from him, and he has quite a close relationship with CH. Not saying we shhould believe, but maybe more in this than just idle gossip.

I would love to have seen him here last season and I think he should have been given an opportunity with England prior to the Euros. However, I must ask; is a player that isn''t wanted at Swansea going to be good enough for Norwich? Also, does anyone think the 5m fee for him is realistic? He''s scored 13 goals in 40 appearances, he''s under the age of 30 and he''s played a fair amount for Swansea already this season.

Still think we need to look to europe and know we will.

But as mentioned Jackson has average pace and is never going to have a month like he did at the end of the champ season. We need another Pacey striker.

Graham all well and good, tough, combatative forward,.. Just agree we need something that no one has seen before, potential or European desire.

January is a big month as we need goals from midfield soon and we need at least one striker. If we get one now we will need one in the summer.

Robbie Keane and Danny graham maybe hhhmmmmmmm ha ha

I can''t see what Danny Graham would offer over & above Simeon Jackson or Steve Morison. Graham isn''t a greater finisher/hold-up player than either of those two.

Should there be any truth in the rumours perhaps one or both of our players are also on the move in Jan?...

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

I can''t see what Danny Graham would offer over & above Simeon Jackson or Steve Morison. Graham isn''t a greater finisher/hold-up player than either of those two.

Should there be any truth in the rumours perhaps one or both of our players are also on the move in Jan?...

[/quote]

Err, I think he is a better finisher than Jackson.  You don''t score 13 premier league goals from not being a great finisher. He also got 24 Championship goals in one season which is more than Holt, Simeon or Morison managed.

£5m would be a massive bargain considering he''s still only 27 and has proved he can score goals in the Prem.

Hope this is true.

I''m amazed that people think that someone who scored 14 Prem goals last season in a side that looked to play the ball to feet isn''t an improvemnet on Simeon Jackson. Graham is a natural finisher who has always looked good against us for Watford and Swansea.I''d be over the moon if we got him.

Graham is a good player, he worried us to death on the opening day of the Champ season and scored twice, he did for Swansea last season as well-good finisher, confident, proven. Yes please.

Suspect Holty has long wanted to play alongside him but could equally well sit behind him in a 4-4-1-1.

Graham and this player ''x'' from Belgium perhaps, as well as one, maybe two surprise departures? Jan is going to be very interesting.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Graham is a good player, he worried us to death on the opening day of the Champ season and scored twice, he did for Swansea last season as well-good finisher, confident, proven. Yes please.

Suspect Holty has long wanted to play alongside him but could equally well sit behind him in a 4-4-1-1.[/quote]

I''m not quite sure if you mean Graham sitting behind Holt or the other way around. I would point out that Graham would definitely be wasted sitting behind Holt anyway, his whole game is played on the shoulder of the defender and he''s extremely clever at working the line that way. Which is why, for someone who isn''t the fastest player, he gets so on the end of so many through balls.

Would be a good signing but is 5m a realistic price? If Swans were to sell him I think they would hold out for much more and that could put him beyond our reach. However, here''s hoping.

Morning judderman. No, see Holt just behind Graham as a possibility. It frustrates me when the media lazily label Holty as an "old fashioned centre forward" because he is a lot more than that and quite capable of playing in that position. He gets involved in everything within the final 3rd and makes things happen as much as he gets on the end of things, always has. Rooney plays in a similar position at Man Utd and it works for him, but then he too is a lot more than ''just'' a centre forward.

All hypothetical of course.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Morning judderman. No, see Holt just behind Graham as a possibility. It frustrates me when the media lazily label Holty as an "old fashioned centre forward" because he is a lot more than that and quite capable of playing in that position. He gets involved in everything within the final 3rd and makes things happen as much as he gets on the end of things, always has. Rooney plays in a similar position at Man Utd and it works for him, but then he too is a lot more than ''just'' a centre forward.

[/quote]I could see that working too. Holt offers a lot in terms of link of play, with a very good first touch, and often drops deep to collect the ball anyway. That said it would raise the Hoolahan question, but it would be a very good problem to have!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mLQ2_4xqH4This is a video of his goals during his final season at Watford. Clearly a better finisher than Jackson!

Only going on all the gossip and hear-say CC, links with trips to Belgium and people watching games there, nothing more-just speculating on speculation.

I don''t think any of us would be too surprised to see someone come in from one of the continental European leagues-maybe not Germany, Italy or  Spain (well, probably not!) but Holland, Belgium, Portugal....? If whoever spotted and recommended Tettey has put in a good word for someone else, must be worth listening to!

Very pleased to see this one raise it`s head again, Graham deserved his shot at the Prem after a very good final season at Watford and I know a number of Watford fans who obviously didnt want him to go but were pleased for him and thought he would do well.Good season at Swans and deserves,and I`m sure wants, to be playing. If any of the Morrison wanting away rumours are true, which I doubt, this could fit in well. I also see Holt as being much more than a front man, he does get involved across the field,even in our own box from time to time, which frightens me to death, but I think Shucks has it right and Holty and Graham could do well together. I hope Holt isn`t tweeting this to cause mischief, I wouldnt put it past him but who knows, exciting prospect for me!

He also scored twice in our 3-2 defeat and one in our 2-2 draw against watford in our championship year. So I''d rather har him with us as he seems to like scoring against us.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]

Spot on Old Shuck. I have said this all season and when Holt and Hoolahan play together they can interchange roles. Holty is a really clever footballer who can spot a pass. For a player who''s scored so many goals he is surprisingly unselfish like Rooney. So if Graham comes in that gives us another option which we need because a team without a plan B is easily worked out.

If Graham comes in I wouldn''t be surprised to see Morison leave because I believe he would then be out of the frame. The other option is a player like Jackson alongside Holt or Graham. I like Simeon for everything except putting the ball in the net. This league is unforgiving against players who spurn too many chances. Hughton was unforgiving at half-time in the Liverpool game. So I wouldn''t be surprised to see another striker come in the Jackson mould giving us anotrher option. So that''s two in and at least one out for me.

I don''t think Hughton neccessarily prefers one up front for all games. he tried two strikers before he tried Holt/Hoolahan. I should imagine his preferences are fluid but dictated to by the players we have available. We do not have enough quality striking options to be really competetive in this league.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more, it''s just people who take a guess at how he plays rather than actually watching him.

I agree with the views about holt,  its when he tries to play to the stereotype that his effectiveness dips.   His strengths are his energy, persistance and touch,  cross to his feet not his head.  And grant - try to be in the box more rather than out wide ;-)

cant argue with 12 prem goals. Graham and Holt upfront would be pretty lethal. And english which is unusual!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]

Spot on Old Shuck. I have said this all season and when Holt and Hoolahan play together they can interchange roles. Holty is a really clever footballer who can spot a pass. For a player who''s scored so many goals he is surprisingly unselfish like Rooney. So if Graham comes in that gives us another option which we need because a team without a plan B is easily worked out.   If Graham comes in I wouldn''t be surprised to see Morison leave because I believe he would then be out of the frame. The other option is a player like Jackson alongside Holt or Graham. I like Simeon for everything except putting the ball in the net. This league is unforgiving against players who spurn too many chances. Hughton was unforgiving at half-time in the Liverpool game. So I wouldn''t be surprised to see another striker come in the Jackson mould giving us anotrher option. So that''s two in and at least one out for me.   I don''t think Hughton neccessarily prefers one up front for all games. he tried two strikers before he tried Holt/Hoolahan. I should imagine his preferences are fluid but dictated to by the players we have available. We do not have enough quality striking options to be really competetive in this league.

[/quote]

I still think Jackson was unlucky to be hauled off at half-time against Liverpool.   From memory he had a good half with only one or two half chances and  one good chance where he had a volley which fell to his left foot - and he had the balls to hit it with his left - and it went over the bar.   I thought this season would be a make or break for Jackson and still think he would be a better option to bring on later in a game than Morison and I  think he is capable of going on another goalscoring run.   Was the Liverpool game where we had Jackson up front and Holt hanging back more?   That was a funny game in some ways, Suarez the thorn in our side - and bad luck and some poor basic defending cost us that day, but to my mind that formation looked quite good.    It means leaving out Hools, but if we had someone like Graham, who is more clinical in front of goal, that Liverpool formation would work well - especially now as the defence has got its act together.   

Just said on SSN Graham not in squad to face West Brom tonight, is he injured or completley out of favour? I f he does come here I hope abandons that rediculious goal celebration 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]

Spot on Old Shuck. I have said this all season and when Holt and Hoolahan play together they can interchange roles. Holty is a really clever footballer who can spot a pass. For a player who''s scored so many goals he is surprisingly unselfish like Rooney. So if Graham comes in that gives us another option which we need because a team without a plan B is easily worked out.   If Graham comes in I wouldn''t be surprised to see Morison leave because I believe he would then be out of the frame. The other option is a player like Jackson alongside Holt or Graham. I like Simeon for everything except putting the ball in the net. This league is unforgiving against players who spurn too many chances. Hughton was unforgiving at half-time in the Liverpool game. So I wouldn''t be surprised to see another striker come in the Jackson mould giving us anotrher option. So that''s two in and at least one out for me.   I don''t think Hughton neccessarily prefers one up front for all games. he tried two strikers before he tried Holt/Hoolahan. I should imagine his preferences are fluid but dictated to by the players we have available. We do not have enough quality striking options to be really competetive in this league.

[/quote]

I still think Jackson was unlucky to be hauled off at half-time against Liverpool.   From memory he had a good half with only one or two half chances and  one good chance where he had a volley which fell to his left foot - and he had the balls to hit it with his left - and it went over the bar.   I thought this season would be a make or break for Jackson and still think he would be a better option to bring on later in a game than Morison and I  think he is capable of going on another goalscoring run.   Was the Liverpool game where we had Jackson up front and Holt hanging back more?   That was a funny game in some ways, Suarez the thorn in our side - and bad luck and some poor basic defending cost us that day, but to my mind that formation looked quite good.    It means leaving out Hools, but if we had someone like Graham, who is more clinical in front of goal, that Liverpool formation would work well - especially now as the defence has got its act together.   

[/quote]

No buddy. That was the game where Jackson was up front with Morison. Hughton was booed when hauled off Jacko at halftime and replaced him with Holt. I was surprised at the time because I would have preferred Holt and Jacko together with Jacko playing on the shoulder of the last man. Hughton was very honest about it when asked why he took off Jackson by an obviously disgruntled fan at the fans forum shortly after that game. He said he felt Jacko had missed the only chances we''d had and we needed to score at least two to get anything from the game. He sounded like he felt the decision justified because bot Morison and Holt scored in the second half and I guess we can''t argue with that.

Hughton impressed me at that fans forum. It came after a few days after that Liverpool defeat but he was honest, positive and talked about his forward options and how to play Hoolahan. He is also not afraid to change thing if he needs to as that Jacko substitution shows but doesn''t make subs for no reason. I think the flack he got at that time and the usual numbnuts on here calling for him to go was totally uncalled for. McNally thinks we''ve got the best "in class" manager and so do I. I''m confident we will have better striker options after January.

[quote user="nutty nigel"] 

No buddy. That was the game where Jackson was up front with Morison. Hughton was booed when hauled off Jacko at halftime and replaced him with Holt. I was surprised at the time because I would have preferred Holt and Jacko together with Jacko playing on the shoulder of the last man. Hughton was very honest about it when asked why he took off Jackson by an obviously disgruntled fan at the fans forum shortly after that game. He said he felt Jacko had missed the only chances we''d had and we needed to score at least two to get anything from the game. He sounded like he felt the decision justified because bot Morison and Holt scored in the second half and I guess we can''t argue with that.

Hughton impressed me at that fans forum. It came after a few days after that Liverpool defeat but he was honest, positive and talked about his forward options and how to play Hoolahan. He is also not afraid to change thing if he needs to as that Jacko substitution shows but doesn''t make subs for no reason. I think the flack he got at that time and the usual numbnuts on here calling for him to go was totally uncalled for. McNally thinks we''ve got the best "in class" manager and so do I. I''m confident we will have better striker options after January.

[/quote]

Oh dear - and I was at the game too.   I''m getting my games mixed up.     Can''t remember Holt not starting that one - and I can''t remember Morison being in that first half, either.    I was sitting near the corner flag at the river end/jarold junction and saw Jackson''s contribution well in that first half as he was on that side - he really did well to get one shot in at all - and it was on target, as well as the one he missed.   Water under the bridge now, I know, but I''ve got a soft spot for Jackson and would always prefer him in the team to Morison - he is one of those players who gives everything every time he comes on the pitch.     Hope he gets another chance.   January will be interesting as Kane may be back and if we get Graham, suddenly the striking options would look very handy indeed.  

QPR was the game that Holt and Jackson started up front Lakey. I only watched that on the wireless and MOTD but I think Jacko was the most forward of the two and that makes sense to me. Jacko scored in that game too. Holt and Jackson would be my preferred pair if we played two of our present strikers but it''s hard to argue that Morison doesn''t a better goalscoring record in the Prem than Simeon.

I know this is moving off topic but to carry on the Jackson talk, i rate the guy, when we were playing 4 4 2 he was our main threat in my eyes, causing the defence numerous problems, holding the ball up well and scoring a couple, if i remember correctly. His main problem is he isn''t the most clinical, but if we were ever to switch to the 4 4 2 again i would have very few concerns in playing Jackson and dropping Holt slightly deeper. We do seriously lack any pace up front, in fact we must be one the slowest teams around, but that isn''t really how our game works.