Sign in to follow this  
Newcastle Canary

11 goals in 14 games

I think some people need to be patient as see this as "work in progress under Hughton. We are doing remarkably well considering the players we have. Lets be honest, in my opinion anyway, I don''t think we have a Premiership quality winger. Bennett, Pilks and Snoddy are decent but all 3 have their limitations. Pilks has the most potential but if we can plug away till the end of the season and survive then we will have some genuine spending money for better quality wingers next summer now we are debt free. With better delivery from the wings, Holt will get more service and score more goals. We wouldn''t even be having this discussion.

I am with drunky on this one - use the subs!   The team is getting results and I dont think I see anyone needing dropping,  the defence are outstanding,  as is Tettey who is starting to catch the eyes of other clubs.

However where we are struggling to carry a threat we should look to use the subs and earlier - we were struggling yesterday and giving benno 2mins+ stoppage time is not enough to change a game, at 70-75 mins we needed a changes. 

It was clear that any of the 3-1 part of the team could and should have been subbed - the final ball was lacking and Holt did not look like scoring again,  and not just the lack of service,  he is wide too often (when we have two wingers??) and not available for crosses when we are in position.   We have a decent squad of  attacking options - we should use them for more than we do - Morison Howson surman Bennett and Jackson all have a part to play for us and more than 10 mins a game.   

Benno was the obvious one - for either Pilks or snods (who I thought was poor defensively),  likewise morison jackson or howson - they are all viable options but need more time to have an impact.

I do think CH made the right subs last night - just 15-30 mins too late.

An away draw is always acceptable, and our team balance suits this ideally, but we need to win at home.

I am concerned about the dearth of goals for three reasons:

1) As Everton found out on Saturday, and Southampton last night, leading by one goal means that the other side are still in the match and can add pressure to equalise.

2) We have a poor GD. At the end of the season this could be important in relegation, although I do not now expect this, and it will certainly mean some loss of TV money if we finish equal on points with some other team.

3) If we have a reputation for being "toothless" and defensive, this will encourage other teams to be more attacking.

Eleven goals in fourteen games is not good, and the last two were from bad defensive mistakes which we cannot rely on. Under Lambert we were profligate with chances, but it was not too costly because we created so many chances. This profligacy continues, CH hs regularly admitted, but we are creating fewer chances. We have no consistent and regular finisher, although I am sure that CH has tried everything he can to improve this. We are over a third of the way through the season and our leading (only) striker has scored three goals, and missed many more.

I think it imperative that we sign a striker who can put the ball just inside the post, and better in the top corner, rather than straight at the keeper or over or outside the goal.

[quote user="grefstad"]Welll...try to shake things up a bit by benching Holt for a start. And give Jackson and Morison a chance to see what they can do. That might bring some fresh ideas. Holty is a certain starter, and his form seem to be suffering. Let Morison run like hell for 60 mins, and Holty can come in, and likely find it easier to score against tiring defenders. Morison for a start spot vs Sunderland![/quote]

So you''d change the formation that has earned us three consecutive home wins, including Utd and Arsenal and strong stoke, all with clean sheets.  We''ve conceded three goals in seven games, including four away games and are unbeaten in seven.

Jackson does not fit into the formation.  You could try Morison up front on his own but I think Holt offers a lot more.  He just needs a ball to fall nicely for him to smash in and he''ll probably go on another run.

I actually cannot beleive people are fretting about this.  You can''t have it both ways.  Like Fergie recently said, make yourself hard to score against and you always have a chance of nicking it, which we have proven in recent weeks.  We''ve also shown tremendous character to come from behind in three of our last four away games.

Some people will always find something to moan about.  If we defended as well as we have been and scored more as well, we''d be top of the league, but we simply do not have the resources to have a strong attack and defence all at once.  Only a few teams in the World do.