Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Need to change things

Did well to keep our unbeaten run going but we are playing some dull, uninspiring football, especially away from home. Holt is seeing nothing of the ball, mainly due to Hoolahan''s inconsistnet passing and Pilkington''s & Snodrgrass'' "crossing".We need another striker up front to provide support and more of a threat going forward. Straight swapping Morison for Holt doesn''t work as the system simply doesn''t work. For Sunderland I think we need to drop Hoolahan for Morison for more attacking threat and Elliot Bennett for Snoddy so we have an actual player that can cross on the wing.Defensively we are (largely) working extremely well and Johnson & Tettey are suring up the midfield very well, although I will say they do need competition so they don''t get complacent.

We need a better version of Hoolahan, a player with more attacking threat and instinct or get Danny G stick him up front and put Holt behind or may be Morison with Holt behind?

Why change things when we''re picking up the points? I agree we need a new striker, but we play well at home and scraping for away points. I know people on here have a right to an opinion, but it is way to negative when we are 13th in the table.

56% possession 10 shots, 7 on target.All thats lacking is some decent crossing, especially from Pilks.7 games unbeaten 3 wins 4 draws 6 goals against 3.Who is not happy?

I think the fans are just going to have to tough it out until at least january, I''m afraid.

with Ruddy out for 3 months, it is even more important to continue to play like this. not trying to go for a quick break, but holding, building play. where we''re passing the ball around in the attacking half for 2-3 minutes.

Bunns a good keeper, but for now he still needs to get accustomed to the speed other teams will come at us with.

it''s not exciting (although I personally love short passes to build up play compared to a hoof up the field hoping 1 of 2 strikers will connect with it.)

but it is the way that will keep us up, and keep us gaining points.

While i''m happy with an unchanged side when results are successful. Something does need to change in attack.

We could go with two upfront without sacrificing any defensive players, Tettey and Johnson can play in 4-4-2.

One, two or even three of Hoolahan, Pilks, Snodgrass and Holt needs to sit the next game out. We aren''t taking enough of our chances to justify starting these attacking four again. Even if you are a bling optimist and delighted with our result tonight, just have a think about all the chances we have missed against Villa, Reading, Everton, Southampton and even Man.U. Not just shots, but also final balls, opportunities to get the ball into a dangerous position etc...

Bennett deserves to start against Sunderland, only got dropped because Snod did well against Spurs in the cup, if I am remembering correctly. Morison needs to start if he''s to try and get himself back to his best. Jackson, well whats the point of him being on our wage bill at the moment?

I know Hughton is a more defence minded manager, but we are creating plenty of chances, and failing to create chances from very good positions. Unbeaten in seven is outstanding, conceding 3 in 7 in amazing, scoring 6 in 7 is good, but when you watch the games its not enough. If Hughton were as defence minded as some would have you believe then fair enough, but we do attack.

stick with the same playing style as if we stuck 2 attackers we would start leaking goals again.. the shots are there, just need a bit more quality/luck ... holt isnt on form.. hopefully it will come back otherwise he would need replacing i guess.

Some fans appear to be blind to the fact we are creating more than enough chances to be scoring more than one, and failing to put in that quality final ball when the opportunity arrises even more...

We CAN change things without changing the game plan at all. Why should the attacking four start again when we waste so many chances?

Its great to be picking up so many points, but why aren''t we allowed to want the team to improve?

the only change I would currently make is perhaps holt for Morison, and I have no real reason for that either, besides the fact I''d like Morison to have a full game to show himself instead of a 10 minute sub.

This season we just need to grind out results and survive. We haven''t exactly got the best attacking players in the league and with our balanced/defensive set up we are relying on them to create something out of nothing or score on the counter without any pace. I''ll take piss poor performances all season long if we carry on drawing away and winning most at home so we can add some real quality next year to suit this style of play.

Ps very happy with a point tonight, it was much harder fought than the one at Goodison.

My only criticism is that I would like to see subs on sooner, 10 or 5 minutes really isn''t enough time to get into the game. But while we are picking up the points, I am happy.

Can''t help thinking Pilks needs to sit out for a few games with Bennet in his place. As much as I like Pilkington he goes missing for too much of the game. Perhaps with Bennet and Snodgrass out wide and changing wings every now and again we could cause a few more problems especially with Bennet''s speed.

i agree with Oli... its all good at the moment... certainly much better than losing 6-0 etc... 1-1, 1-0, ill take that!

also- isnt it odd that the email/pm buttons on here still cover half of peoples messages... this is a 2 minute fix for the forum site staff??? bah!

OTBC!

I just don''t get it - after Liverpool and Chelsea put a combined 9 past us people were getting itchy, not unreasonably; since then we have tightened up, lost no games, got to a cup quarter final and yet we "need to change"?

Yes we are now solid, and we may be more careful than we''d like, but first and foremost surely the most important thing is to avoid defeat to sides around us, certainly away.

Fact is, we have been creating plenty enough chances with the system being played, we just aren''t putting enough of them away (yonigh being a perfect case in point, also with a handball goal against us and a pen not given) and a new striker in Jan could see us well set.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]While i''m happy with an unchanged side when results are successful. Something does need to change in attack. We could go with two upfront without sacrificing any defensive players, Tettey and Johnson can play in 4-4-2. One, two or even three of Hoolahan, Pilks, Snodgrass and Holt needs to sit the next game out. We aren''t taking enough of our chances to justify starting these attacking four again. Even if you are a bling optimist and delighted with our result tonight, just have a think about all the chances we have missed against Villa, Reading, Everton, Southampton and even Man.U. Not just shots, but also final balls, opportunities to get the ball into a dangerous position etc... Bennett deserves to start against Sunderland, only got dropped because Snod did well against Spurs in the cup, if I am remembering correctly. Morison needs to start if he''s to try and get himself back to his best. Jackson, well whats the point of him being on our wage bill at the moment? I know Hughton is a more defence minded manager, but we are creating plenty of chances, and failing to create chances from very good positions. Unbeaten in seven is outstanding, conceding 3 in 7 in amazing, scoring 6 in 7 is good, but when you watch the games its not enough. If Hughton were as defence minded as some would have you believe then fair enough, but we do attack.[/quote]

Ha Ha Ha that has to be the best post of the year, the same team that beat Man Utd, Arsenal, seven games now un-beaten, lets drop Hoolahan, Holt.... Ha Ha Ha, i say bring super chrissy Martin back from Swindon....what a Joke!!

Branston, that is exactly why things need to change...

A simple Bennett in for Pilks, Moro in for Holt might just give the whole team, and those four players the lift we need to take a couple more chances and score a few more goals over the coming weeks.

For once I agree with GP, we''re doing good but as fans don''t we want to be great? We''re having all these chances and not scoring and at sometimes the crosses ain''t really up to the standards of this league .

Agree we need to bring in Benno for Pilks, although you know what Im gonna say about Moro !Would much prefer to see Jackson, he offers us far more. He obviously is not the sort of player Hughton likes which is a real shame as he has done really well when he gets on the pitch. Cant understand what Hughton is playing at really. Actually the lack of Jackson is probably my only real anoyance at the "Hughton era" thus far.

can see jackson off in jan or maybe the summer to be fair, I''m in the minority I know, and it annoys a lot of people, but I don''t think he adds the quality we''re lacking.

he''d be good for any newely promoted side, but we need to make our player selection and buys/sells on the presumption we''re finishing at least 16th

I don''t think Jackson is suitable as the one man up top though Nexus.

And while Hoolahan hasn''t been at his best the past couple games, its quite hard to drop him as he is the player with the most quality in our side (apart from Bassong, but he''s a defender). Jackson could come in for Hoolahan, but if Jackson came in for Holt i''d be pretty worried. But Jackson might not/probably isn''t capable of being half as effective in Hoolahan''s role as Hoolahan is...

I have no problem changing the personnel - Elliott for for Pilks would be fine, as would Moro for Holt - the main thrust of the moaning seems to be more about the formation...

For me, we could take Pilks and Snoddy out of the team and not lose anything from putting in the other options we have available. Other than the goal Pilks got against Utd and Snoddy''s bobbler tonight neither has done anything that great recently. We would need to tweak the system perhaps but the manager has to be brave enough to do that and have the confidence in the players that they are capable of playing like that.

For me, I''d go with the diamond. Bring Fox back, let Johnno and Tettey push up and squeeze the opposition a little, and let the full backs join in more. Have Wes at the point and put Jacko up with Holty. What you lack in width you gain in the whole team being twenty yards further up the field and more capable of pressuring the opposition where it hurts.

One things for sure, Chris Hughton is turning us into a very organised, hard-to-beat side. Wes was fantastic tonight, never gave up, and when he was on the ball he gave us our brightest chance of creating something. He''s the LAST person who should be dropped against Sunderland. R.e Holty - only a fantastic save stopped him from getting on the scoresheet, and he made a tackle on our left that Paolo Maldini would''ve been proud of. Tettey - what a signing, the way he breaks opposition attacks up etc is real quality. Would''ve liked to see Ello Benno come on a bit earlier in the second half. A good away point is my feeling walking away from St Mary''s... The future is bright under Hughton I feel.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I have no problem changing the personnel - Elliott for for Pilks would be fine, as would Moro for Holt - the main thrust of the moaning seems to be more about the formation...[/quote]

Only the crazy want to change the formation/system. We have a system that is winning us points. No reason to change it, if anyone suggests we should, they should be shot, literally, well maybe not literally, but they should be told to go away and hide in a corner or something.

Only thing we need to do (in my opinion) is change a couple of the attacking players next game, maybe Martin in for Whittaker as well. We could go 4-4-2 without changing too much (because at times Hoolahan is pretty much a striker anyway) but we don''t need to.

11 points at home from 6 games, 5 points away from home from 8 games, a new manager getting to know his squad and doing really well, dont change anything for now!

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]I have no problem changing the personnel - Elliott for for Pilks would be fine, as would Moro for Holt - the main thrust of the moaning seems to be more about the formation...[/quote]

Only the crazy want to change the formation/system. We have a system that is winning us points. No reason to change it, if anyone suggests we should, they should be shot, literally, well maybe not literally, but they should be told to go away and hide in a corner or something.

Only thing we need to do (in my opinion) is change a couple of the attacking players next game, maybe Martin in for Whittaker as well. We could go 4-4-2 without changing too much (because at times Hoolahan is pretty much a striker anyway) but we don''t need to.[/quote]

Maybe thats why we''re not coring enough goals...................

Okay Hoolahan is having a bit of a hard time stringing things together, and it is very frustrating to watch. But not two weeks ago people were saying he is very important to our play etc etc. Now you want to swap him out.

The alternatives aren''t looking bright at the moment. Howson came on and ran himself straight into the opponents, no sign of any ideas to get past them. Five minutes is unfair, if the subs were made sooner we''d get a better idea of the alternatives. I know Fox usually sits further back but maybe give him a sniff if we do have to change things (and let me make it clear, I don''t really think we do.)

Seven unbeaten, the players are being consistent even if the consistency isn''t of a top display. I''d like a win, but we were all saying earlier that we''d take a point - and look what we''ve got.

The problem here is, we aren''t convincing in much we do at the moment. I hope to see a better display at home to Sunderland. Where I feel one point simply will not suffice.