Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

BASSONG

Sebastien Bassong was outstanding again tonight; he could have had a brandy in one hand and a lardy in the other so comfortable did he look.

He also showed our midfield how to pass with the ball of the night, crossfield to Holt who didn''t have the conviction to take it forward but just checked back inside.

Young Bennett played well, but he was next to Bassong.

I don''t know how much we are paying this guy but his contribution is consistently outstanding.

Even when he made a mistake, he still looked cool doing so.

He''s a fantastic player, almost too good for us. He could get in the Spurs team easily on current form.

But i''m very glad he is here, without him we wouldn''t be half as good. In fact without him, playing the way Hughton has us playing, we''d be going down. Tettey has also been fantastic, Hoolahan is key to the formation, Ruddy is a wonderful keeper, but the one player we don''t want injured is Bassong. If he gets a long term injury, we could be in real danger. Unless of course, he''s given Turner, Barnett and Bennett the confidence to play without him.

When we signed him Spuds fans reckoned he was decent but would always make 1-2 crucial mistakes every game - we certainly haven''t yet seen much evidence of the latter, he has been outstanding and probably the most crucial player in the side atm.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Even when he made a mistake, he still looked cool doing so.

He''s a fantastic player, almost too good for us. He could get in the Spurs team easily on current form.

But i''m very glad he is here, without him we wouldn''t be half as good. In fact without him, playing the way Hughton has us playing, we''d be going down. Tettey has also been fantastic, Hoolahan is key to the formation, Ruddy is a wonderful keeper, but the one player we don''t want injured is Bassong. If he gets a long term injury, we could be in real danger. Unless of course, he''s given Turner, Barnett and Bennett the confidence to play without him.[/quote]Oi! Enough of that boy!! ;-)This is our level now!!

I didn''t think Johnson was a no-show. Not his best game but he put in a shift and didn''t do a lot wrong.

Bassong is a hell of a player. He''s a level above the majority of the squad. With Tettey, Hoolahan and Holt alongside him in the spine we have some real quality.

What summed up Bassong and Tettey for me was at the weekend, towards the end of the game, Bassong played a first time half volley little inside pass to Tettey. It wasn''t overly showy, but he cut an Everton player out, and controlled it superbly considering he''s a centre back and had just plucked the ball out of the air. Classy, classy player and could well be the difference between us going down and staying up.

I know TGOMT, but him and Tettey at the moment almost do seem too good to be true. They do seem like they should be at clubs who finished higher than us last season.

I''m not one to underplay us, I was quite shocked when some fans treated beating Man.U like some minnows beating them in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, but Bassong (and Tettey) are just a class above what we''ve ever had in my time. Well apart from Hucks, Hoolahan and maybe Dean Ashton (don''t really like considering a player who was here less than a year... But he was class).

tettey was also simply amazing.

his run where he took on 3-4 soton players in the first half. it was only ruined by a poor decision by the sideline refs. (GK instead of corner.)

but, bassong and tettey, those two are definitely my contenders for POTS so far.

Tettey gets a 9 in the SKY ratings and called the best player on the park. His influence is growing by the game.

BTW only ourselves and Man City unbeaten in the last 6.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Even when he made a mistake, he still looked cool doing so.

But i''m very glad he is here, without him we wouldn''t be half as good. In fact without him, playing the way Hughton has us playing, we''d be going down. Tettey has also been fantastic, Hoolahan is key to the formation, Ruddy is a wonderful keeper, but the one player we don''t want injured is Bassong. If he gets a long term injury, we could be in real danger. Unless of course, he''s given Turner, Barnett and Bennett the confidence to play without him.[/quote]Oi! Enough of that boy!! ;-)This is our level now!![/quote]

This!!!...

No praise for poor Javier ? :(

He''s generally been pretty excellent in most games and is probably on the same level as Tettey and Bassong in quality

... Yet another excellent signing by the '' Hootster '' just hope it''s made permanent.

I don''t think Garrido is quite on the same level as Bassong and Tettey. Although i''ll partially blame Hughton for that. He''s got a good pass and cross on him, although he has been frustrating with his crosses on many occasions, aiming for the area of the box Holt isn''t in, but has provided plenty of good ones too. And is solid in defence. But he''s not getting forward enough, and I think he''s often a bit dodgy on the ball in our half. He seems to either rush a pass or take too long some of the time. Doesn''t always appear to have the right composure about him on the ball. But overall a great player.

He looks incredibly solid and very classy. The signings of Basong and Tettey are probably the two main reasons why we are so solid this season rather than any ''negativity'' from the manager.

I though Bassong and, in particular, Tettey, were absolutely outstanding again tonight. Tettey bossed the midfield, he can tackle and pass, by far the most complete midfielder at the Club.

Another good point tonight though I must say it made for frustrating viewing at times - Johnson gave the ball away so often and likewise Whittaker''s distribution was generally poor. Having said that I don''t want to be too critical because off the ball those lads did their jobs well but it is frustrating.

OT I know but I heard Holt got some stick on Canary Call for walking down the tunnel. I think he was frustrated more than anything - his bessie mate Lambert got a goal and the So''ton were baiting him with ''you''re just a **** Rickie Lambert'' most of the game. I think it''s a good thing and shows he cares - he was desperate to score and shut up those fans just like he did at Swansea last year.

Have to admit, really wasn''t sure about Bassong when we signed him - playing in a relegated Wolves team last year wasn''t the best endorsement - but, he has been outstanding.

Always liked Tettey - (well, from Football Manager) - again outstanding.

Right now, I''d say we get a decent striker in and we''re there as comfortably mid table