Sign in to follow this  
cornish_canary

The table this time last season...

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2011-2012/table/2011-12-03

As you can see from the link above:

Same games, same points (last year, we had won 1 more game but lost 2 more than this campaign)

Represents an excellent start to the season in my opinion.

We''d be 11th if we won today and 7pts clear, but still 13th and 4pts clear. Hopefully another good home win on Sunday and we''ll have a much better gap on the bottom 3:)

[quote user="cornish_canary"]http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2011-2012/table/2011-12-03

As you can see from the link above:

Same games, same points (last year, we had won 1 more game but lost 2 more than this campaign)

Represents an excellent start to the season in my opinion.[/quote]Yet some are still not happy.Oh well, think of that lovely £70 million for next season. There''s several teams who''d kill to be in our position.

Ricardo, nearly everyone is happy...

Why are you, and some others mistaking some fans wanting us to be just that little bit better (knowing we have the quality to be that little bit better) as being unhappy? Its like there is something wrong with wanting our team to improve...

I''ve seen very few posts from people who are actually not delighted with our recent form. But if you can''t see that our play in the final third against Villa, Reading, Everton, Southampton and even Man.U could have very easily resulted in more goals then i''m not sure what i''ve been watching...

[quote user="cornish_canary"]We were also faced with the proposition of an in-form Newcastle visiting! We all know the rest![/quote]

The bright note to all this is, If Lambert had of stayed here, Look at Villa,  Sunderland, honeymoon seems to be over, Newcastle, now in the Pardew syndrome, All three teams below us, Hughton has got it right and I think we will be top half come May.  

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="cornish_canary"]We were also faced with the proposition of an in-form Newcastle visiting! We all know the rest![/quote]

The bright note to all this is, If Lambert had of stayed here, Look at Villa,  Sunderland, honeymoon seems to be over, Newcastle, now in the Pardew syndrome, All three teams below us, Hughton has got it right and I think we will be top half come May.  

[/quote]

And having watched us for nearly 50 years any draw away from home for us has got to be a plus (let alone the run of results we''ve had in the last two months).  If we win/draw on Sunday that''s two months in all competitions without a defeat.  Hughton has got a lot right since the Chelsea game and to be honest if we stay up this year (which I think we will) we will then have the budget to inject some more fire power next season.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Ricardo, nearly everyone is happy... Why are you, and some others mistaking some fans wanting us to be just that little bit better (knowing we have the quality to be that little bit better) as being unhappy? Its like there is something wrong with wanting our team to improve... I''ve seen very few posts from people who are actually not delighted with our recent form. But if you can''t see that our play in the final third against Villa, Reading, Everton, Southampton and even Man.U could have very easily resulted in more goals then i''m not sure what i''ve been watching...[/quote]

Because so much of it is expressed without any acknowledgement of the fabulous achieevments of teh past few weeks.   There is certainly a place for the "We''ve done well but with some tweaking might do better" discussions but so much on here just focusses on the negatives and comes across as critical and negative.   If other posters are being mistaken then perhaps they should express themselves more clearly and not rely on others to pick up hidden positives in the criticisms.

[quote user="Lord Horn"]If we win/draw on Sunday that''s two months in all competitions without a defeat.  [/quote]Crikey that puts into perspective just how well we''re doing.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Ricardo, nearly everyone is happy... Why are you, and some others mistaking some fans wanting us to be just that little bit better (knowing we have the quality to be that little bit better) as being unhappy? Its like there is something wrong with wanting our team to improve... I''ve seen very few posts from people who are actually not delighted with our recent form. But if you can''t see that our play in the final third against Villa, Reading, Everton, Southampton and even Man.U could have very easily resulted in more goals then i''m not sure what i''ve been watching...[/quote]

Simplistic view. We all want a better team, better finishing, more goals. But doesn''t every supporter of every team?

And there speaks a wise man Lord Horn, I do think some of these youngsters get a little bit carried away sometimes, exuberance of youth of course is a fine thing, just needs to be tempered from time to time, we are on the straight and narrow and making great strides. Rome was not built in a day.

What is interesting is the that there are significantly more draws this season and the points gap between 6th and 18th is down from 16 to 10 points.

Things are much more congested mid table which this feels like the pressure to get £70m is having an effect - being able to squeeze wins out will quickly progress you up the table this year.  

ALL we have to do is sustain our current momentum :-)   Carry on the good work CH

...I''d forgotten quite how far ahead we got. Is interesting to see where some of those sides currently are - Wimbledon, Sheff U, Oldham and Coventry in particular, it is hard to see a way back to PL for them in the near future.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[/quote]

This!!!...

Last season after fourteen games we had played equal numbers of home and away. This season after fourteen we have played six at home, eight away. The goals conceded may be worse this year because of the heavy defeats before the defence was fully sorted out. (Didn''t someone point out that this season we conceded seveteen in the first seven and and three in the second seven games, or something like that, - reasons also for confidence, even we are struggling to score.)