Sign in to follow this  
swjf50

Surman

He appears to be off the radar at the moment and hasn''t even been on the bench. I can''t see him getting back in the team and what I''ve seen of him he''s been disappointing. Is it time he moved on?

We could bring someone else in that could add something to the squad.

What do you think?

[quote user="Yellow Messiah"]Surman is a waste of space in the premier league, he is far too light weight and does not put in enough effort to deserve a place in the squad.[/quote]On the flip side he has a very keen footballing mind and has an eye for a killer pass and often reads the game three or four passes ahead. My only criticism of him is that he isn''t very versatile and only fits into a few formations.

Couldn''t agree more. Ineffective lightweight pansy whose only remaining function seems to be modelling cheap nylon tat for the club''s merchandising pieces. Ship out ASAP as soon as the window opens.

[quote user="Yellow Messiah"]Surman is a waste of space in the premier league, he is far too light weight and does not put in enough effort to deserve a place in the squad.[/quote]You can say what you like about Surs but this is not correct. I''m pretty certain that in the majority games he features for us he covers the most ground out of the whole team (if not, in the top 3), judging from the stats I''ve seen in the past.

Very talented player, and isn''t lightweight. He was, but he seriously strengthen up and won his place in the team last season and did well.

Unfortunately he doesn''t really fit in the current system that well, not without making him/the team a little less effective than he/the team could be. He''d probably be better suited to a team like Swansea to be honest.

Just signed a new contract so he will be here.

I would say that Lansbury offers more ( if only we had picked him up), but Surman was a good scorer for us each year. So I would keep Surman for another year.

Fox on the other hand will not get into many of the top 6 championship teams, so he will be here this season through till the summer, but then who knows. Could we cash in.

We have those players who were given a one year contract and now we need to bring in better players as these players leave.

Staying in this league is paramount, forget cup run in January. Get quality in that window, sell the odd player and then in the summer be in the prem and sell one or two and release some of those we have left behind. Bring in

Players whom are at another level and can grace our field with pace, quality and calmness.

Surman will be ok, unless he wants first team football, but after signing a new deal he will be here.

[quote user="ridgeman"]I feel that Surman is a gifted footballer but doesn''t fit into our team at present. The question I must ask is why he was given a four year contract at the beginning of the season.[/quote]

Because he is a good player.  Hughton gave him a chance to cement a place in the team - but after the Liverpool match  he can''t get a look in because of the way the team has developed.   Does this make him a player on the way out or a player waiting his chance to have another go?    We have a squad of 25 (?)  and that means we have to have players in waiting.   As far as that goes he is waiting.    People are still too quick to write off our players.    Some people don''t like him because of the way he looks.   I ask you...............................

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="ridgeman"]I feel that Surman is a gifted footballer but doesn''t fit into our team at present. The question I must ask is why he was given a four year contract at the beginning of the season.[/quote]

Because he is a good player.  Hughton gave him a chance to cement a place in the team - but after the Liverpool match  he can''t get a look in because of the way the team has developed.   Does this make him a player on the way out or a player waiting his chance to have another go?    We have a squad of 25 (?)  and that means we have to have players in waiting.   As far as that goes he is waiting.    People are still too quick to write off our players.    Some people don''t like him because of the way he looks.   I ask you...............................

[/quote]

Spot on.

Surman is a decent option to have if and when we revert back to a different formation. He hasn''t put a foot wrong for us but there will be a time when we will not have a need for him anymore, most likely next season.

[quote user="Yellow Messiah"]Surman is a waste of space in the premier league, he is far too light weight and does not put in enough effort to deserve a place in the squad.[/quote]

Wow, that''s the most clueless, ill-informed CR@P i''ve read on here for some time. And that''s saying something.

You are truly to be congratulated ''Messiah''. Even if, as i suspect, you''re really just a very naughty boy.

I think the biggest mistake with Surs is to play him wide. He is best left midfield and is one of the best passer and movers in the Club.

Unfortunately for him, like a few sides we play with two defensive midfielders.

Mate, i''m perfectly calm.

Its you, using my dots. Its just not acceptable you know. Its kind of like using a blind mans guide dog....

He could probably play the Wes role as he has that same eye for a pass - would probably score more than Wes does as well. However, he doesn''t quite have the X factor that Wes can provide.

Unless the injury rumours are true (if they are why let Lappin go out?) I guess he will get a game against Villa next week as I can see Hughton making a few changes for that one.

[quote user="Yellow Messiah"]Surman is a waste of space in the premier league, he is far too light weight and does not put in enough effort to deserve a place in the squad.[/quote]Don''t know about that. He usually covers the most ground when playing for us doesn''t he? He may not be flying into tackles, but he''s not stood still either. I remember seeing that he consistently ran the furthest distance of all our players when he was playing. Scored some important goals for us last season and is very clever. He should have scored at Newcastle this season and against Liverpool and that''s probably let him down really. I agree we could do with more competition and a proper winger, but he isn''t as bad as many people say. I could see CH going for that winger from B''ham he wanted in summer. The one with the most assists in the Championship last year - forgot his name. Otherwise a player from abroad?

[quote user="Tim Allman"]Long term injured according to what I have heard.[/quote]

Correct.

Got quite a nasty injury, not due back for a good few weeks yet.

[quote user="Evesham Canary"]YC - I think you mean Chris Burke?[/quote]That''s the fella! Cheers Evesham! Although CH was at the Blackpool-P''boro game on Sat so maybe someone from there?

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I think the biggest mistake with Surs is to play him wide. He is best left midfield and is one of the best passer and movers in the Club.

Unfortunately for him, like a few sides we play with two defensive midfielders.[/quote]

This.

I think he is more than capable of playing centrally. Infact I wouldn''t mind him given a chance in the Wes role either. He hasn''t got the tricks but like you say, he has the vision.

Against teams like Stoke, where accurate pin-point passing is required to unlock their defence he is a player you know you can rely upon.

But injured or not, you can''t write a player off just because the players in front of him are playing out of their socks.

Perhaps they are playing well because they have him breathing down their necks for a place.

He is probably one of the more gifted footballers at the club in terms of technical ability and passing. Has been a key part of our squad for two seasons now. His movement and well timed runs are another asset we sometimes miss.

I would say that there is a good two or three players more likely to leave before he does.

Lappin, C. Martin and as it stands at the moment Ward.