Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

BUNN

Credit to him, he did enough, Sunderland were obviously putting pressure on him with awkward shots to deal with and long balls into the area.

However, he wasn''t perfect and it was a combined effort, he had his defence to thank for a lot.

Bassong was MOTM again for me with Bennett, Garrido, Johnson and Tettey putting their case forward.

Johnson may surprise a few, but he made a couple of crucial interceptions and put a great ball over the top for Pilks goal.

Yes, WLY said the same on the radio commentary that he thought Bunn had slipped getting across - it was a quickly taken and fine shot so he had to adjust quickly hence the slip. Ruddy may have got it if only because of his bigger frame.

How very surprising, a Norwich player at fault for a goal conceded!

Plenty to work on, but 16 points out of 24 implies we are moving in the right direction.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I wasn''t just talking about this thread. Some are dead against even talking about the suggestion of Bennett or Morison starting a game. I assumed this OP was sarcastic, because anyone blaming Bunn for the goal is out of their mind.[/quote]

Well I''m certainly gainst making changes to a team thats on an 8 game unbeaten run. What''s the argument in favour of making these changes?

"but there was a significant number of fans questioning his consistency for a while"

me for one, and a fair few others I know, who wondered whether we had massively boobed in buying Evertons 3rd choice keeper who had been out on loan in the back of beyond before he came to us - since then he has grown in ability, confidence and most importantly command of the box, he is always going to be a hard act to follow

sure he didn''t get his hands on the goal, but seeing the game again on MOTD he sure got bhis hands on one before that, also one in the second half when it was one on one, and another low freekick right near the end of the game, plus that stunning save from the freekick - with three of those saves coming through a crowd of players

we''ve probably an extra couple points in the bag tonight and a place in the quarter finals due to him ...maybe not all due to him, but those saves were turning points

as to moaning about him I didn''t hear any of that at the ground, nor it the pub afterwards - maybe an armchair gives you a greater sense of dissatisfaction

The argument is Nutty, players like Bennett (well mainly Bennett) have never done anything wrong, are hardly getting a chance, and we are wasting countless chances.

The bigger ''problem'' is we are wasting chances to create chances. Snodgrass at the moment is very inconsistent. He is clearly talented, but you only have to look at his set pieces to get a good indication of his overall game time for us. Some are prefect, some are complete rubbish. Same with Pilks. Both of these players seem to be missing the middle ground. They are either doing something fantastic or doing something useless.

Holt hasn''t scored in 7/8 games now. He''s been playing well, bullying defenders and is a big part of how we play. But he is our only striker, he''ll be more disappointed than anyone he hasn''t had a goal in so long, especially as he''s playing generally well.

I''ll say it again, we have been fantastic. But not in all areas all the time. Can you seriously not see the potential advantages to even just resting Holt and Snod or Pilks or even Hoolahan for a game? Not even a whole game. Its not a foolproof plan, but I honestly think, like last season when Holt was dropped for Morison, than a change or two will really increase our attacking threat. Moro, Bennett and Howson must be begging for a proper chance in the team, and if anyone is dropped/rested they''ll want to come back and prove their worth.

Hughton doesn''t even want to make a substitution. 78 mins. He waited until then to bring Bennett on, even though we''d not been anywhere near as good as in the first half.

Amazing. And, frankly, rather worrying. I post what I thought might be rather controversial - that Bunn was at fault for the goal - and over three pages not one single poster has disagreed. If this kind of wussy unanimity carries on I fear for the future of this message-board.

I disagreed with you Purple. As did a few other posters, at least thats how I read their posts. Not necessarily saying the words ''Bunn wasn''t at fault'' but personally I''d take someone complaining about you complaining as them disagreeing with you...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]The argument is Nutty, players like Bennett (well mainly Bennett) have never done anything wrong, are hardly getting a chance, and we are wasting countless chances. The bigger ''problem'' is we are wasting chances to create chances. Snodgrass at the moment is very inconsistent. He is clearly talented, but you only have to look at his set pieces to get a good indication of his overall game time for us. Some are prefect, some are complete rubbish. Same with Pilks. Both of these players seem to be missing the middle ground. They are either doing something fantastic or doing something useless. Holt hasn''t scored in 7/8 games now. He''s been playing well, bullying defenders and is a big part of how we play. But he is our only striker, he''ll be more disappointed than anyone he hasn''t had a goal in so long, especially as he''s playing generally well. I''ll say it again, we have been fantastic. But not in all areas all the time. Can you seriously not see the potential advantages to even just resting Holt and Snod or Pilks or even Hoolahan for a game? Not even a whole game. Its not a foolproof plan, but I honestly think, like last season when Holt was dropped for Morison, than a change or two will really increase our attacking threat. Moro, Bennett and Howson must be begging for a proper chance in the team, and if anyone is dropped/rested they''ll want to come back and prove their worth. Hughton doesn''t even want to make a substitution. 78 mins. He waited until then to bring Bennett on, even though we''d not been anywhere near as good as in the first half.[/quote]

No! I don''t see any advantages in rewarding players unbeaten in 8 premier league games with a spell on the bench.

Well Nutty i''m quite disappointed.

I think you are really underestimating our players and squad. If you think this is the best they can do... Which is the impression I am getting from you, well I don''t know what to say.

I thought Bunn got ''yorked'' for the goal. This is the most difficult type of shot for a goalie - one where the ball is within reachof a dive, but bounces close to his arrival point. Any slight change in trajectory & he''ll misjudge it, plus the ball may bounce high or skid through. I remember one season where the majority of goals on MOTD were like this.Their goalie had a similar shot to save (Pilkington''s) 2nd half, but it stayed in the air so he could follow its trajectory & save it fairly comfortably.I thought Bunn was excellent & has proved a very astute buy by Hughton.

it''s a results business

I think it has been the ''best they can do'', unbeaten in 9 games with league wins over Man U and Arsenal

Hughton has set out his strategy and so will know who he thinks is the best players to achieve his aims. That strategy may well be that he wants Holt and Hoolahan to be working to break up the opponents play rather than solely concentrating on scoring. A complete turn around to Lambert who would mix and max, get the players attacking flat out and would swap players and formations regularly.

At the moment it is working, we are picking up points.

Come back when it isn''t.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well Nutty i''m quite disappointed. I think you are really underestimating our players and squad. If you think this is the best they can do... Which is the impression I am getting from you, well I don''t know what to say.[/quote]

I don''t think they can do much better in the system we play. But I''m happy with their performances. You on the other hand seem to think that they have loads left to give and the players on the bench could do better.

I''m happy with their performances. And I have never said they have loads left to give. There are little improvements we can make. And we have 2/3 options that aren''t being given a fair go even when we aren''t playing at our best.

I''m not even saying the players on the bench could do better, just they could do different, and it could give everyone a little boost. Players don''t like being dropped, and if you deal with the well, they will respond. Like Holt did last season, like Snod did this season.

We have been fantastic, every player has been a big part of why we have been unbeaten in 8. But we are not at our best. We are wasting opportunities we could do better with. I bet if you asked the players they''d say there are things to improve on.

Perhaps I''m missing this amongst all those words buddy but why do ytou want to bench players from a team on an 8 match unbeaten run in one of the best leagues in the world?

Because Pilkington is not playing to his full potential every game. Sometimes he is playing well, other times he''s just anonymous, even more than last season.

Holt has not scored in 8 games, despite playing well. See that, playing well. I''m not suggesting he''s not.

Snodgrass is very very inconsistent, i''m not the only person to think this.

Please stop trying to make out like i''m saying the team hasn''t been good enough, I am not saying that and never have. If you think this is the best all our players can play, I feel sorry for the players, as they are being underestimated. Grant Holt will be more disappointed than anyone he hasn''t scored in so long despite playing well. Maybe putting him on the bench for an hour wouldn''t work, maybe it would.

Maybe Bennett would do nothing, and we''d fail to score because Garrido suddenly forgets how to take a FK that Snodgrass would have whipped onto Johnson''s head.

But maybe Bennett would come in, beat the LB and play a ball across for Holt to bundle in. And then Garrido would take a FK from a good position in Snodgrass'' absence, and Bassong would score his third game.

Maybe Snodgrass would then come on and push himself just that little bit harder and score another.

Or maybe we should just be grateful we aren''t losing every game 4-3 because we are little old Norwich and we dare not think we can be better...

We have been fantastic. No one is saying otherwise.

But we haven''t been perfect. We will never be perfect, no one will be. But we haven''t been as good as we can be. Its always a work in progress, we can never be perfect so we can always be better.

If I were saying we haven''t been good, Pilks has been useless, Holt is a waste of space, Snodgrass is out of his depth, Hoolahan just gives the ball away constantly, Whittaker can''t cross to save his life. Then maybe you''d have a point. But I haven''t said any of that. I''m perfectly happy with our results, and unlike earlier in the week, I will not apologise for believing we can be better.

I answered as shortly as I possibly could in the other thread. And if you can bare it I have given plenty more of my in depth, and according so such lovely people like Webbo, basic and playground stuff opinion in this thread and the other.

I''m not sure i''m even writing in proper English anymore, if I was to begin with.

Quite simply we have been fantastic, the defence are so solid, but there is room for improvement, with the current players and current system. (Even without change, the first half today proved that, play with a bit more confidence and freedom and we look a lot better in attack, maybe the attackers are relying too much on the defence and not themselves?)

[quote user="Gingerpele"]

I disagreed with you Purple. As did a few other posters, at least thats how I read their posts. Not necessarily saying the words ''Bunn wasn''t at fault'' but personally I''d take someone complaining about you complaining as them disagreeing with you...[/quote]

No. Not one poster has disagreed with me. I said Bunn was to blame for the Sunderland goal because his positioning was at fault, and no one has disagreed with that.

''Even if he was at fault for the first goal (which he wasn''t)'' How on earth is that not disagreeing with you?

Did you expect everyone who disagrees with you to say exactly this;

Bunn was not at fault for the first goal, his position was correct, it was all Snodgrass'' fault for his flimsy attempt at winning the ball''.

No one has specifically disagreed with your wording, no, but plenty have disagreed/had a go at you...

I do like how Bunn would take the ball into the corner of the Penalty Box everytime the ball came his way to waste some time. That was nice :)

I thought Mr Bunn was very good and made some thrilling saves, Sitting in the Upper Barclay I was very happy with our No, 2 and I think he well deserved Man of the Match. Furthermore he presented himself well in the Gunn Club after the game and is a credit to the Club and those you signed him.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I wasn''t just talking about this thread. Some are dead against even talking about the suggestion of Bennett or Morison starting a game. I assumed this OP was sarcastic, because anyone blaming Bunn for the goal is out of their mind.[/quote]

Well I''m certainly gainst making changes to a team thats on an 8 game unbeaten run. What''s the argument in favour of making these changes?

[/quote]

One good argument is that only QPR have scored fewer goals in the league.

That suggests we owe our league position to our defense and that we could improve our attack.

I''m sure that while Chris Hughton and his staff are happy with our current form, they will be looking at ways to improve the team and I don''t see that GingerP is suggesting nothing more than CH is thinking - how to make good become better.

On their goal Tettey could pushed up against the oncoming player, and there was both Snodgrass and Whittaker on Johnson either could of won the ball off of him in fact they should of.

No. Not one poster has disagreed with me. I said Bunn was to blame for the Sunderland goal because his positioning was at fault, and no one has disagreed with that.

I have, actually. I think it was one of those shots that can beat even the very best goalkeepers.

Bunn made some excellent saves yesterday. Commanding his area is something he will need to work on and is an aspect of the game many top goalkeepers find difficult.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="whoareyou"]Can some of you not just enjoy another good win and three points?

This week''s unlucky City player to get unjustified criticism!!

Leave the players alone FFS.

Only Man City have a longer unbeaten record than us now.
[/quote]

I do think this forum''s becoming a joke this season with regards to criticism. It''s like people are almost disappointed that we win at home and draw away and are forever clamouring to drop the players who have put together this run. I have seen every one of our top flight season''s and rarely do you get runs of games like we are seeing. Like I said the other day - I hope the players don''t ever look in!

Not to mention Bunn''s brilliant reflex saves including the one he pushed onto the post and scum boy wacked the rebound into the Barclay, ????? some people will only be happy if we get beat all the time, I have a Question, Is this Gunns, Lamberts, or Hughtons team,?   

[/quote]