Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Michael Turner

Think CH said 7days i.e a week and that was just before or just after the Sunderland match..Shouldn''t be long now, but Bennett is a player I''ve wanted to see and he''ll only benefit from playing with Bass and learning from him. Obviously I''d like Turner back too and he has that threat from set pieces. Shoulder injuries can be quite weird though and he obviously didn''t heal as quickly as he hoped. Just hoping that Ruddy gets his backside back to prime fitness on time and without any further problems. March seems a looonnnng way away...

Seems like one of those where he is perpetually "not far off" yet never quite there!

My concern now is that he''s going to be off the pace again when he comes back. Looks like one who needs a few games to get going and find some consistency.

Plus, Bennett has been superb, really showing what he can do now so it won''t be easy to get the shirt off him. For the first time in as long as i can remember we have a central defensive pair who are a bit dynamic and athletic rather than simply big and solid. I really liked Ayala last year for the same reason but we just never seemed to manage to keep the same pairing from more than half a dozen games last year.

It''s interesting to note that Lambert seems to be having the same problems at Villa - rarely able to keep a settled back four for whatever reasons.

I think Bennett does a solid job but there''s no doubt that Turner will be straight back in. I think I remember seeing a stat from one of the games the other day and Bennett''s passing was about half as successful as the other 3 defenders.

Which is, of course, the main thing you look for with a defender, Splutcho!

For me, there''s not a huge amount between the two. Turner probably is a little bit better at the moment, but just because he had one or two games before his injury that were massive-error-free does not mean I''ve totally forgotten about the other earlier on in the season.

I probably am being a bit unfair on Turner there - because he has shown he is a decent defender - but I actually feel more confident with the Bennett and Bassong partnership. But if Turner comes straight back in I won''t be too worried either.

Well you build from the back. I''d rather our defenders passes didn''t go straight to the opposition and a pass percentage of between 40 and 50% is pretty bad wherever you play.

So out of interest Aggy, you''d prefer our centre backs to smash it long every time rather than to try and pick a pass?

[quote user="a1canary"]Plus, Bennett has been superb, really showing what he can do now so it won''t be easy to get the shirt off him. For the first time in as long as i can remember we have a central defensive pair who are a bit dynamic and athletic rather than simply big and solid. [/quote]

You''d consider Ryan Bennett to be dynamic and athletic?

To me he is very much more of a blocker/destroyer than a ball player. He clearly struggles to deal with pace and he''s nothing special on the ball. Yeah, he does sometimes hit that big diagonal which sometimes finds it''s mark but generally he doesn''t have as much of an idea with the ball as Bassong, or even Ayala or Ward.

He''s done alright since he''s come in for Turner but I can already see people are getting a bit carried away with how well he''s done. It''s worth noting that he hasn''t really been tested too much in the games he''s played. I''ll be reserving judgement until he''s been put under a bit more pressure.

for the sunderland game bennetts passing was the best of the back 4

why change a winning team?   Bennett has come on leaps and bounds this year.   As with whittaker and martin the current shirt holder keeps if doing well,  and ryan is

Agree with Zip. Bennett''s done nothing wrong to have the shirt taken from him. It could well be the strong competition for places that has focussed Bennett. Much the same as Whittikar. This is the strongest City squad I''ve ever known. Players know they have to perform out of their skins each game to keep the shirt. When they do that it would be very wrong to bench them.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

for the sunderland game bennetts passing was the best of the back 4

[/quote]

Statistically Garrido''s passing was the most accurate/successful.

Bennett''s successful passes included a lot of short passes and he played the ball back to Bunn more than any other player. In comparison Bassong didn''t pass the ball back to the goalkeeper at all in that game.

While I''m on the subject, if you look at the Southampton game Bennett enjoyed a pass success rate of 47%. Bassong was 75%.

Not doing this to knock Ryan Bennett, I just think the signs are that people are getting a bit carried away. Which often happens with younger players.

[quote user="splutcho"]Well you build from the back. I''d rather our defenders passes didn''t go straight to the opposition and a pass percentage of between 40 and 50% is pretty bad wherever you play. So out of interest Aggy, you''d prefer our centre backs to smash it long every time rather than to try and pick a pass?[/quote]
Not at all. But you seemed to be judging your preferred choice of centre half entirely on his pass completion rate - you didn''t mention any defensive attributes at all in your first post, only passing stats. Personally, I judge defenders on how well they defend first and foremost - only if you''ve got two players of similar defensive ability, will I then worry about which one can pass the ball out of the defence the best.
What have Turner''s passing stats been? I would doubt that they have been significantly better than Bennett''s.
But even if they are, my opinion is that Turner and Bennett are of similar quality. Turner though always has me slightly worried - which as I pointed out might be an unfair reaction because of a few mistakes he made earlier on in the season. But that''s just how I feel when I see him play. With Bennett - whilst he''s still young and got plenty to learn - I feel a lot more relaxed watching the defence. I wouldn''t be upset if Turner comes straight back in, nor if Bennett continues because, like I said, I do feel they''re of similar ability. But my personal preference would be Bennett at the moment, for the reasons above.

Note the wording GJP - a PAIRING that is a BIT athletic and dynamic. That applies as much to Bassong and Turner as it does Bassong and Bennett.

It''s funny Bennett''s passing has come up as I was musing on the same thing last night. He does tend to like the longer diagonal ''pass'' much more than Bassong and I think he can definitely get better in this aspect of his game. However, his tackling and blocking are excellent. I don''t think he''s any slower than most Premier League cbs.

Turner is more solid, but the Bassong-Bennett pairing has more pace and flexibility, IMO, and therefore doesn''t get caught out as much. For Swansea, I''d definitely go for the latter. It would also be hard to drop Bennett from a winning team.

I like Bennett, but he makes me nervous. In the current games he''s played there''s been quite a few occasions where he''s gone to clear it & has literally just put the ball straight up in the air. He also likes to lunge in / get tight when there is no need.

But I think he has done absolutely fine, and a lot of what he does is possibly down to nervousness & inexperience but I do feel more comfortable with Bassong & Turner.

I''m sure if he continues in the team he will only get better which is fine by me, but just needs a little more composure when it comes to clearing & distributing the ball.

I note no-one is trying to make a case for Barnett? For a few games it looked like he''d forced his way back into contention, but sadly it looks like similar errors to last year have condemned him to also-ran status. One to leave in January?

This Bennett / Truner is close one for me, (Being as I was the most critical voice on here about Turner, he''s made me change my mind recenlty). I still think Turner isn''t as good as Bennett but has experience, Bennett is still learning his trade.

I hate to say it but Bennett reminds me of Shackell.

I''m in agreeance that I don''t think there is much in it between Bennett and Turner. Due to the age difference between the 2 of them, I think I would rather see Bennett playing. Simply because Turner must be at the prime of his game, whereas Bennett having age on his side means he could develop into a much better player.

I prefer Bennett as a player personally to Turner although it''s close, imo Bennett should hold his place as he''s playing well and that should always be the message sent out to any player at any club, come in do well you stay in the side for the next match otherwise you just end up with unmotivated  outside the first 11 feeling it doesnt matter how they perform, apart from maybe getting a move away. If his performance levels drop bring back in the more experienced Turner.