Sign in to follow this  
rich

Re: just out of interest

you maybe be right, but I kind of feel Rivers stood out more in this team, because he is key creatively, and adams was burried behind eadie and bellamy and the occasionally fit O''neil.

Swap them around and you might see different results. Adams in this current side might excel and rivers might be burried.

interesting thought.

The thing is what you seemed to have missed out is that are we looking at how they were playing then or now? For the old team that is.

I would have Edworthy over Mills because at that point in time he was causing all sorts of problems behind the scene that lead to his departure. So I would keep the modern day defence apart from I would have Jackson back instead of Mackay.

I would also only change Brennan for Eadie in the midfield. Rivers and Adams are almost equal in my mind. Adams makes up for his lack of pace on Rivers with his distribution and passing qualities, I think we are begining to see that Rivers can be a good dead ball player, maybe not as good as Adams but then he has the pace to get into attacking places especially on a break.

Up front I would have to say that purely on goals etc you would have to player Iwan and Bellamy. But in fairness if Crouch bangs away 10 goals between now and Christmas then who knows.

The bench would also stay with the modern bench apart from Gunn who is just too good compared to Crichton, but then again, Gunn was on the way out then so is Crichton better now than Gunn was then, pretty marginal perhaps.

But I do feel that at least we can begin to see that we have now got better things going for us. Ok we had Bellamy and Eadie then, but otherwise to me, apart from Fleming and Jackson, the others either arnt any better than we have or are way bellow what weve got. I dont think that Milligan or Grant would make the bench!

Although Rivers is improving I reckon Adams for sheer reliability and he could play a whole match, not just three quarters of it. His delivery was superb, I used to get a buzz of excitement seeing him in space on the right, he''d look up and you could bank on it being there or thereabouts. Rivers just does not have that dependability.

The other thing that stood out for me was Eadie. We just don''t have an equivalent and haven''t had for a few years now. He was so fast and dangerous that you felt that he could breach even the tightest defence at some stage. Paul McV is doing well, but he isn''t the same sort of player. I thought at one stage Llewellyn might blossom into an Eadie type figure but it never happened.

Also, Malky vs Jackson- at his best Jacko was great and had more pace. But Malky at his best is a tower and dominates the centre like Jacko never did. On balance I would go for Malky from those tow.

Other positions seem more clear cut, though a bit unfair on Sutch to compare him with a true left footer.

I reckon the old team would win, it has more bite going forward and looks pretty equal at the back.

Would be interested in seeing a Hamilton era side now- I reckon we''d all be horrified to see the rubbish in some of those sides

Just in case you forgot, the old team had less success than the new team. This is because the old team had no fight, no bottle and no heart. They all wanted transfers.

This is why the team we have now would beat them every time.

Blah blah blah about the sum of the parts being less than the whole, or what ever it is. The players may have been technically better, but they didn''t care about winning.

OTBC

I think Eadie, Bellamy and Miiligan to name but three might give you a bit of an argument if you said they didnt care about winning.

Perhaps the 97 team had less success because the general standard in the division was better in those days? Maybe, maybe not but I think there are arguments to say that it was.

One thing I''m certain of though, as someone who tends to see NCFC play away from home more often than at home, I would always prefer to watch that 97 team to the current one.

The new team would be two up with 20 minutes to go, Rivers would go off, Greeno would miskick to let the old Iwan have a tap in, Adams would convert a penalty and Eadie would skip round Malky for a winner in injury time. Only joking.

The two teams seem to prove that the intervening few years have not seen vast improvements (NW has had to spend too long getting us out of the doodoo created by Mr I''ve Not Seen Him But Get Him Here On Loan Hamilton).

Tumbleweed is spot on - the reason for lack of improvement between the dates is the need for NW to undo the work of ex-binman (and lets not forget it) Hamilton.

Imagine if Chase / Hamilton had occurred at the same time - a nightmare of the biggest proportions.

[quote user="Delias Well Behaved Devonshire Dirtbox"]whey dublin, what a penis[/quote]least i go to game u pompous pr1cku think u rule the pink''oon but u don''t