Sign in to follow this  
Unthank Road

Quality of signings

sorry if this has been covered recently but......

when was the last time we made a "dodgy" signing. I know that Harry Kane and James Vaughan are "not proven yet" coz of injury but as for an actual dud the only one I can recall recently was de Laet.

And is this purely down to the judgement of Mr Hughton and the last manager whose name escapes me just now but I seem to remember he did ok, or is there someone else at the club who most people don''t know about that we need to be really grateful to?

I think there is an element of luck with any signing we had some bad luck with Ayala and Vaughan but they both have potential so are they bad signings? Time will tell

I think you have to go back to the likes of Simon Whaley and Michael theoklitos to really pick a dud, the likes of Aaron wilbraham and anthony McNamee were victims of our sudden rise rather than being duds

[quote user="Ted Danson"]I think there is an element of luck with any signing we had some bad luck with Ayala and Vaughan but they both have potential so are they bad signings? Time will tell

I think you have to go back to the likes of Simon Whaley and Michael theoklitos to really pick a dud, the likes of Aaron wilbraham and anthony McNamee were victims of our sudden rise rather than being duds[/quote]

You''re right about  McNamee and Wilbo.  Wilbraham was only a dud in the minds of those "fans" who didn''t like the way he looked (probably the same people who slag Surman off).    Didn''t fit their image of a footballer    However, he was an asset on and off the field, whole hearted and not without ability.      Ayala and Vaughan were gambles, which as yet have not paid off - but may do in the future.

But we''ve signed several players with injuries at the time of signing - R Bennett and Pilks come to mind, Butterfield too actually.  Realistically they are cheaper so it''s a trade-off on the risk

What is excellent over the last couple of years are the players we have brought in that have made the step up to the Prem, or e.g. Bassong and Tettey who have come into their own after joining us.

Vaughan is a fair shout. For the kind of money we''re supposed to have paid for him I''m not sure he is that good, his injury record is obviously pretty horrendous and you get the feeling he doesn''t really want to be here and perhaps his heart was never in the move.

Ayala could be up there too. Not as much of an outlay but still looks like it could have been a bit of a case of spending money for the sake of it. Probably wouldn''t have been first choice last season with everyone fit and is even less likely to find a way into the team now.

I think a bit of credit is due to Ewan Chester. Having worked with Hughton at Brum before coming back to us in June he will have had a little black book in which, I suspect, the names of Tettey, Bassong and Garrido were already written.

I''ve met Ewan Chester a few times and he always struck me as a thoroughly decent and knowledgable chap. Let me tell you his exit from the Club to go to Birmingham did not go down well and the Club was delighted when he rejoined with Hughton''s coaching staff. Ewan has not only himself but a network of european scouts who all do their bit in terms of suggesting names.

As with most things, it''s not just a question of luck but with doing good quality research. That may explain why, having never seen him play before, Roeder was taken aback when Troy Archibald-Henville didn''t quite come up to spec...

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]

I''ve met Ewan Chester a few times and he always struck me as a thoroughly decent and knowledgable chap. Let me tell you his exit from the Club to go to Birmingham did not go down well and the Club was delighted when he rejoined with Hughton''s coaching staff. Ewan has not only himself but a network of european scouts who all do their bit in terms of suggesting names.

As with most things, it''s not just a question of luck but with doing good quality research. That may explain why, having never seen him play before, Roeder was taken aback when Troy Archibald-Henville didn''t quite come up to spec...

[/quote]

And don''t forget OJ Koroma, signed simply because ''Arry (a man you''d obviously trust unquestioningly) told Roeder that he was " a beautiful mover"

Who was the Scottish full back who missed his mummy too much and had to go back home? Can''t even remember his name!

Think that could be described as our most recent ''dud''.

The weak, ineffective Howson stands out for me. Flying in the first half of last season, sign the hapless Howson and we''re hanging on. Start this season poorly with Howson the midfield lynch pin, ditch him for the fantastic Tettey/BJ combo and the season takes off. An anti-tallisman. And don''t even get me started on pansy Surman ...

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]The weak, ineffective Howson stands out for me. Flying in the first half of last season, sign the hapless Howson and we''re hanging on. Start this season poorly with Howson the midfield lynch pin, ditch him for the fantastic Tettey/BJ combo and the season takes off. An anti-tallisman. And don''t even get me started on pansy Surman ...[/quote]

Pumkin Numgob up to usual gobshite, deary me!

[quote user="a1canary"]Who was the Scottish full back who missed his mummy too much and had to go back home? Can''t even remember his name! Think that could be described as our most recent ''dud''.[/quote]

Steven Smith.

Others who the club outgrew include Nelson, Hughes, Gill, Oli Johnson, Askou & Cody. None of these would be considered bad signings though.

Lambert probably has the best record with his signings of any City Manager (maybe Ken Brown) & Hughton has made a great start on that front.

I meant that Crofts was excellent in the championship, ''R'', but like the others named was out of his depth in the PL and was therefore replaced by Snodgrass. That''s all.

[quote user="a1canary"]Who was the Scottish full back who missed his mummy too much and had to go back home? Can''t even remember his name!

Think that could be described as our most recent ''dud''.[/quote]

But wasn''t Ewan Chester working for the club/Lambert back then for a while (before going to Chelsea?) and would that mean he was behind signing Steven Smth??