Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Back to normality

I''m relieved to see that Merson is back to normality (if you can ever call him normal!) with his current prediction that Swansea will win 3-0

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,,15205_8315961,00.html

Given that in our last 6 games we have scored 6 goals and conceded 3 - this pundit extraordinaire has predicted, based on recent form, that we actually won''t score at all and that Swansea will score the same number of goals, that the combined resources of the last 6 teams we played scored.

It beggars belief, however, long may it continue - he seems to be a lucky omen for us - he invariably gets it wrong! (The only time I can recall that he got a prediction right in the last couple of months was last Saturday''s result against Sunderland - obviously he had a mental aberration when he predicted we would win!)

From a rational point of view. You can see us losing today. That is fair enough. Swansea are a very good side, particularly at the Liberty. I could possibly see us losing 2-0 as we get caught chasing a goal like we did against Everton. But given our defensive record I find it very difficult to see us shipping 3 goals today.

But to be fair I actually quite like Merson as a pundit. He isn''t eloquent and what he says isn''t very insightful. However he does provide some comedy and light entertainment which is just as important I reckon is 5 hour football show.

It''s his job to go with his general feeling and i would expect most of the footballing world that doesnt support us to expect a Swansea win. To be fair everytime I''ve seen Paul Merson talk about us he''s been extremely positive. Have to agree though he''s not the brightest but I actually like him and find him amusing.

I agree with that Yellowbeagle. Martin Keown has us down to lose 2-1 today so that''s 2 points this season he''s forecast us to get. Merson does have comedy value especially when we bring cinnamon on.