Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Time for Morison

So, I repeat myself as the OP of this thread.

Holt need a few games on the bench now.

Immobile, lack of effort, no goal scoring threat.

The only reason for him to be in the first XI now is that the team is unbeaten, and CH does not want to change things.

If we had lost a few games in this 8 game run, Morison would have had more chances to start games.

Holt is not good enough at present, me thinks.

I also question some of the defensive work done by Snodgrass. Seem to be a bit off the pace sometimes, but his set piece deliveries are very good, and I suppose make up for it.

Well...Holt is maybe in the team on merit, but to say he was "immense" is rather inaccurate.

He did a job, not very good in mye eyes, as in the last 5-6 games.

To be fair, I dont think Holthas had a game this season where I can say he has been playing well (as we all know he can).

Holt has become very immobile this season compated to last, and I dont think this is down to tactics. It is down to fitness.

Look at the amount of defending from the front done by Hoolahan compared to Holt, while Holt is just standing and looking on. Appaling.

Holts fitness must improve, and he has had enough chances now. Let him start on the bench for a few games, and come in after 60 for Morison.

Also, Bennett is due a run for Snodgrass, me thinks.

[quote user="grefstad"]Well...Holt is maybe in the team on merit, but to say he was "immense" is rather inaccurate.

He did a job, not very good in mye eyes, as in the last 5-6 games.

To be fair, I dont think Holthas had a game this season where I can say he has been playing well (as we all know he can).

Holt has become very immobile this season compated to last, and I dont think this is down to tactics. It is down to fitness.

Look at the amount of defending from the front done by Hoolahan compared to Holt, while Holt is just standing and looking on. Appaling.

Holts fitness must improve, and he has had enough chances now. Let him start on the bench for a few games, and come in after 60 for Morison.

Also, Bennett is due a run for Snodgrass, me thinks.[/quote]

I''m sorry, apart from the last sentence this is utter tosh.    I wasn''t at the game but it was obvious even down a grainy stream that Holt was one of the hardest working and mobile players out there and a constant nuisance to the opposition.   He was everywhere today - attacking, covering, defending.  Great performance.  

Holt was all over the park today , he contributes a huge amount to the team and works his testicles off, amazing that people criticise his performance.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="grefstad"]Well...Holt is maybe in the team on merit, but to say he was "immense" is rather inaccurate. He did a job, not very good in mye eyes, as in the last 5-6 games. To be fair, I dont think Holthas had a game this season where I can say he has been playing well (as we all know he can). Holt has become very immobile this season compated to last, and I dont think this is down to tactics. It is down to fitness. Look at the amount of defending from the front done by Hoolahan compared to Holt, while Holt is just standing and looking on. Appaling. Holts fitness must improve, and he has had enough chances now. Let him start on the bench for a few games, and come in after 60 for Morison. Also, Bennett is due a run for Snodgrass, me thinks.[/quote]

I''m sorry, apart from the last sentence this is utter tosh.    I wasn''t at the game but it was obvious even down a grainy stream that Holt was one of the hardest working and mobile players out there and a constant nuisance to the opposition.   He was everywhere today - attacking, covering, defending.  Great performance.  

[/quote]

Don''t be sorry, that was utter tosh! I was at the game and Holty was superb today, winning most of his challenges and running his socks off, closing down from the front. He won loads of flick-ons for Wes - if we''d had someone like Shane Long on the end of them we would have scored a few more. In addition, the quality of his runs off the ball was superb, but Johnson and Tettey failed to spot them a lot of the time (that''s not a dig at either of them, their job is to break down opposition play).

If some people think that Morison will be a better option than Holt, be careful what you wish for.      

Holts workrate was tremendous like it normally always is but the current system is messing him up!

He needs someone alongside him to help with the workload and to make some openings for him!

But to do that we''d have to probably drop Hoolahan!

This is getting to Holt which was very obvious today and at Soton when he was clearly upset after getting subbed!

I really do despair at times with the lack of knowledge that some people have for the game.

Holt was one of the better City players today. Ask Cuellar!

[quote user="ricardo"]Holty was immense today. He would be the first name in my team.
[/quote]

He was. I was in the perfect place to watch his 2nd half performance and immense is the word. He moved Sunderland''s back four around and won nearly every ball. It didn''t come right in the final third but I doubt we''d have held on if it wasn''t for Holty. I bet Sunderland''s defence are glad they don''t have to put up with him every week. And in a week where I keep hearing about fatigue, and having seen him at Southampton and again today,  I''m sure Holty doesn''t know the meaning of the word.

Morison had the worst pass completion rate of any outfield player in the premier league last season (55.2%, source: Michael Cox of the blog zonal marking and the Guardian), you need no other reason than that for him not to play ahead of Holty. He''s got a decent work ethic and is lethal with his heading but in the system we''re playing, his inability to find a player in a yellow shirt with any kind of consistency makes him a liability. Holty might not be scoring, or indeed getting too many opportunities at the moment but his passing and all round link up play is far far superior to Morison, like others on this thread have already said; he should be the first name on the team sheet at the moment, end of. The OP is just plain wrong (and possibly a bit of a wrong un, i.e. binner).

[quote user="ricardo"]Holty was immense today. He would be the first name in my team.[/quote]And Hughton said as much in his BBC after game interview