Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Green Army

Steven Whittaker. Better than you thought !!!!

What are peoples thoughts? Have to say that I was not overly impressed by his transfer in the summer but has proved me wrong. A real shrewd signing by Hughton. Whittaker has real class, experience and lots of confidence to go along with it.

Russell Martin has got his work cut out to get back in the team now!

He''s very good and deserves his place. I didn''t really think anything before though because I had never seen him play. What did those people who didn''t rate him base their opinions on?

I think he will be at a disadvantage for a while yet though because I have noticed a tendency on here to pick up on his (and Turner''s) mistakes more than other defenders.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

He''s very good and deserves his place. I didn''t really think anything before though because I had never seen him play. What did those people who didn''t rate him base their opinions on?

[/quote]

Just that he played in the SPL I think.

He seems a very sensible player, who maintains concentration well. He makes a few mistakes, especially in passing, as all of them are doing currently. He''s certainly no worse than anyone else in defence in this respect.

My only doubt is over pace, where he has been left by quick wingers, but again this is true of Garrido. This seems to me to be one area in defence which is a cause for concern, and which other teams may well seek to exploit.

Started solidly but some lack of pace and concentration concerns over the last couple of games. So far martin seems more consistent. both plenty good enough for this season but Neither quite as good as naughton which should be next runners standard of signing

Not the best player ever, but certainly good enough.

Wasn''t an exiting signing, but he was one who I thought most people were happy enough with, solid defender. Ok only from the SPL, and many people wanted Naughton back. But he''s experienced and has taken over from Martin well enough. Not perfect, but good enough to keep his place in the team. Even though I still think I prefer Martin, but thats partly because he''s been here longer.

Didn''t think he did much wrong today, certainly didn''t think he looked shaky. Was at fault for Everton''s goal last weekend, but other than that I don''t think he''s made too many big mistakes.

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="Making Plans"]Thought he was solid today, as he''s been in every game he''s played. Good signing
[/quote]

Did you not see him getting destroyed v Everton and Southampton?
[/quote]

Well I was at Southampton and didn''t see that. I think he made one mistake at Everton for the goal but only watched highlights on TV. We remained solid in both games too. As we did today. The fact that''s the case even though we lost Turner, Martin and Ruddy is testament to the strength of our squad. In my time we have never had a squad this strong.

Quite like the look of Whittaker so far. Seems to have more of an idea on the ball than Russell Martin and is defending at least as well. I think some people are either forgetting or turning a blind eye to how often Martin gets beaten by a winger or wastes attacking positions with a poor cross.

I think hes an awsome siging, i know everyone seems to turn their noses up at SPL players saying they havnt got the quality to play in the EPL but id highly disagree, at least if you play for celtic/rangers you are in one of the best teams in the league and there for other teams to try beat you, you will have played in europe at some point, not to mention playing for celtic/rangers is obviously going to condition you for tough games and how to play in diferent kind of atmospheres created by the fans (hostile/dead)  all good experience if you ask me. Not to mention hes going to be busting a gut to play for us, this is a make or break move for him, for any rangers player thats moved on to be fair, because even though they are now in the scottish 3rd div, they are/were one of the biggest teams in the world, and you cant move from one of the biggest teams in the world to another. just to find yourself being phased out of that team and eventually fading away all together to play, well in the scottish 3rd division!! I beleive we will see the best out of whittaker and would say theres plenty more to come from him!Any defender who has got the nuts to go on like this when given the chance has got my vote too : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv26UQV64Vo

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Not the best player ever, but certainly good enough. Wasn''t an exiting signing, but he was one who I thought most people were happy enough with, solid defender. Ok only from the SPL, and many people wanted Naughton back. But he''s experienced and has taken over from Martin well enough. Not perfect, but good enough to keep his place in the team. Even though I still think I prefer Martin, but thats partly because he''s been here longer.[/quote]

Which players are?

Maybe not a popular thought, but I feel he is worlds better than R.Martin.

I''ve never been a big Martin fan (When playing at full back), he gets beat far too easily by anyone with even a smidge of pace or skill. I always preferred him at CB as his positioning is amazing, and his ''last ditch'' defending seemed to save us quite a few goals.

But for the RB position, I don''t think we''ll be seeing Russ any time soon unless injuries happen.

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="Making Plans"]Thought he was solid today, as he''s been in every game he''s played. Good signing[/quote]Did you not see him getting destroyed v Everton and Southampton?[/quote]

I was at Everton and he certainly wasn''t destroyed then.  He made one mistake for the goal - I remember RM getting caught out in a similar way  (by an attacker getting inside him) too.  He was left exposed by Snoddy for a period in the first half when he had an attacker plus Baines coming at him with Snoddy too central to help, but you can''t blame Whittaker for that.

Other than that one mistake I think he''s been very solid and RM will struggle to get back in the team.

I work in Glasgow - the Hun supporter view was that him and mcgregor (keeper) were the biggest losses. Certainly more so than Naismith to Everton or Davis to Southampton. He is prone to have the odd nightmare game but generally pretty solid. I was at Everton and I can confirm he was furious with himself after the goal, and I thought well fair enough at least he knew he had dropped a flanger.

A good signing, reflecting the strongest squad I can remember

Yes it was an awesome goal. He had the confidence to bring the ball forward when there was space in front of him,run at the Swansea defense, make a neat one-two with Snodgrass, continue his forward run and then make a sublime check to cut inside the defenders and whack the ball in at the near post.

A good goal from a forward but totally awesome from a right-back,imo. Think it shows the levels of confidence within the team that players are prepared to play so positively.  

[quote user="wes the wizzard"]Any defender who has got the nuts to go on like this when given the chance has got my vote too : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv26UQV64Vo[/quote]What a goal, and from a full back, away in Europe. Nice. Although that defender looked slightly ropey.

He has played at rangers for a number of seasons and played in Europe. the fact that he was free seemed to make some think he was a modest signing. He is good and getting better and has made a significant contribution to our recent run

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I think he will be at a disadvantage for a while yet though because I have noticed a tendency on here to pick up on his (and Turner''s) mistakes more than other defenders.

[/quote]

You get this all the time from this board''s expert texperts. I can remember several posters assuring us that Grant Holt would not be good enough when we bought him from Shrewsbury - with expert analysis along the lines of "He score moost ov is gools fram the penelly spart". HA HA HA.

Hes better than I thought he was after his 1st couple of games and even then I thought he''d do a job!

I didn''t think he was capable of scoring a goal like he did yesterday!

Like the common theme ever since Lambert took over in 2009, we seem to have a good knack of picking up good players!

I have a couple of mates who are Rangers fans and they said Whittaker was easily the transfer they were most upset about so I always thought he was going to do well.

Great goal yesterday, showed his attacking prowess

Excellent signing and better than Kyle Naughton

I felt I was in the minority who were actually very pleased when he signed. I remembered hims from the Rangers UEFA run a couple of years back when he as one of their stand out players. Great experience (Old Firm games and Europe), an international, free and can play in a number of positions. Really what is there not to like?

As for Naughton - really good promising young player but when i have seen him for Spurs this season he has generally struggled although to be fair he has been playing at left back.