Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

5 more wins needed

I don''t want this post to sound negative because that''s not what its about, more so highlighting the achievement of Chris Hughton and his backroom staff to put us in such a strong position so early on.

> If we win 5 more games in the remaining 22 we will be on 37 points the total that QPR got last season to stay in the division (I appreciate its not as clear cut as this)

> If we win 9 more games in the remaining 22 we will surpass (sp?) our total from last season

I can see us winning a few more than that though :)  

I don''t think that''s negative at all Ted. I have no doubt that Hughton is only thinking at this stage of getting to 40 points. the great thing is to do that we need only 18 points from another 22 games.

That means a record of W 5, D 3, L 14 would be enough to keep us up and I don''t see us achieving anything like that record for the rest of the season - I think we''ll do much better than that.

A 50 point haul looks well within our grasp but for now it will be a case of ''get to 40 and then see where we are'' for the team and management.

No, not negative. Quite frankly, when we get to 40 points i''m going out to celebrate and get pi$$ed!

Every season since we went in to League 1 has got better, and better, and better. It''s almost unbelieveable that this season could now continue that and be even better than last season. Incredible!

I wonder if 40 points will be enough this year.I suspect that Reading and QPR will soon be out of the equation but that third relegation spot could well be between about 6 or 7 clubs as they all seem capable of winning matches.That is unless Martin O''Neill walks out on Sunderland which i also think is quite possible. I get the impression his heart isn''t in football management anymore.

[quote user="whoareyou"]I wonder if 40 points will be enough this year.I suspect that Reading and QPR will soon be out of the equation but that third relegation spot could well be between about 6 or 7 clubs as they all seem capable of winning matches.That is unless Martin O''Neill walks out on Sunderland which i also think is quite possible. I get the impression his heart isn''t in football management anymore.[/quote]A Sunderland fan told me that his wife isn''t well again.There are some things more important in life.

38 points should be enough this season so yes another 5 wins. The last couple of games have really taken the pressure off us in the short term at least and dont forget we have only played 7 home games

40 Points will be more than enough again this season. In most years 38 will keep you up and it probably will this year. QPR are probably dead already needing close on 1.5 points per game for safety. It''s still to early to be sure but once the Xmas games are over we should be able to at least pick 3 or 4 who won''t get 40 points. At the moment I would go for QPR, Reading, Southampton and Wigan. I fancy Lambert will do enough with Villa and Sunderland should also get clear.My pre-season predictions had us on 44 points but I think we will do a bit better than that now.

To attain 38 or 40 so points and surviving another season in the Premiership - just  isn''t good enough! If we aren''t in the top four on the final game of the season and we don''t qualify for Europe......I want Hughton out!.....

Incredible as it seems, we are only 4 points off the top 4. Now I''m not suggesting for a moment that that is a realistic aim for us however it does show what this top flight record breaking run of form is doing for the club.

With 2 home games in hand let''s see how far we can push it.

COYY!!

It''s not negative, it simply demonstrates a mindset that''s been impoverished for too long.It''s time to stop thinking like a peasant and being thankful for the left-overs (17th and 40 points) and begin thinking like a prince (or princess) and feeling comfortable around mid-table, and that we rightly belong where we are.We''re almost half-way through the season and we''ve proven ourselves more than worthy of our position.Given the current trend of the team, I for one will be happy if we finish in the top 8th, 9th, or 10th. I expect no lower than 12th. Europe to me is still a dream and two seasons away from being able to effectively sustain a campaign.

This is the first time as a Norwich fan I''ve ever looked up in the Premier League as opposed to looking down, is that dangerous thinking?

We have every right to look upwards. I did last season and maybe even had some Europe hopes at one time. But I think most of us have them. Where it can work against us is if those hopes become unrealistic expectations. We have a home game against Wigan coming up. I hope we win it but it would still be unrealistic to expect a win.

I think it is a sensible view.

We need to be very wary that we don''t get carried away as we were guilty of last year after winning at Swansea. At that point we were top half and had an FAC 5th Rd tie at home to a struggling Leicester side. We never quite maintained our momentum after that memorable win last year.

At some point we will have another 5 or 6 game run where we pick up limited points - just about every team will have one of these runs and most outside the Top 4 or 5 will have a couple of such runs. Hughton is so right when he says we need to make the most of this great run. The next 2 games (Villa & Wigan) both have banana skin written over them. We have the examples of WBA and Swansea already this season - both have been in or on the verge of the Top 4 when they have suddenly hit a brick wall. WBA found themselves 3 down very quickly to the Swans and then have lost to Stoke & Arsenal since. Last week everyone was raving about the Swans and how good they have been and hey presto they are 3 down to us at half time.

I know this sounds a bit negative but football has a habit of bitting you on the back side just when you think everything is great.

We have been brilliant over the last 10 games - it is a staggering achievement for a club of our resources to be unbeaten for this kind of run. We should win the 2 games this week and get something from WBA too but I wouldn''t be surprised if we lost one of them.

[quote user="Ted Danson"]

This is the first time as a Norwich fan I''ve ever looked up in the Premier League as opposed to looking down, is that dangerous thinking?

[/quote]Am I being pessimistic, coz the only way I always look is down ?      

[quote user="swindoncanary"][quote user="Ted Danson"]

[/quote]

Am I being pessimistic, coz the only way I always look is down ?       [/quote]

The way those wings are flapping about I don''t think you''ll stay up for too long so I think that''s very wise...

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]I don''t think that''s negative at all Ted. I have no doubt that Hughton is only thinking at this stage of getting to 40 points. the great thing is to do that we need only 18 points from another 22 games. That means a record of W 5, D 3, L 14 would be enough to keep us up and I don''t see us achieving anything like that record for the rest of the season - I think we''ll do much better than that. A 50 point haul looks well within our grasp but for now it will be a case of ''get to 40 and then see where we are'' for the team and management.[/quote]

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

How on earth can you be winning points, yet they only count towards a 40 point total ... until you get to 40 points, that is ! There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in the points we win now, than those we were winning this time last season when we achieved 47 points. They all count towards the final total.

What is meant by "then see where we are" ? It is not a game of pontoon. We cannot decide when we have reached 40 points whether we should stick or twist.

The club is aiming to finish as high up the league as it can. Sure, there maybe a point in the last few games where it makes sense to try and settle for a draw, but to talk of that now is absurd, just as this ridiculous 40 point myth is. Clubs have been relegated when having more than 40 points and the usual survival total is around 36-38 points.

The club, team and management cannot be concentrating on any abstract total, nor can the club be winning points without those same points counting towards the ultimate season end total.

City1st,I am one of the people who (personally) have set the target of 40 points as a MINIMUM we should be aiming for. Of course once we hit 40 points we can aim for the stars. How about the title if we want to be completely unrealistic...For me, this season is all about staying up. I don''t think I''m being negative I just think that survival is really important.Wouldnt you agree?

Get to 40 points as quickly as possible, then start looking at how far we can get up the league. Personally it''s always interesting to see how in touch we are with the teams above but the first thing i look for is how big a points gap are we opening up with the teams in the bottom 4 or 5.

"I am, one of the people who (personally) have set the target of 40 points as a MINIMUM we should be aiming for. Of course once we hit 40 points we can aim for the stars. How about the title if we want to be completely unrealistic...

For me, this season is all about staying up. I don''t think I''m being negative I just think that survival is really important."

Not sure how that addresses the point in way, shape or form.

So, how can we aim for one abitary total, without those points counting towards the final total ?

What will we do after we reach that total (40 points), that we are not doing now ?

Our home game run in has always given us a chance but we were in a seriously bad position two months ago.

We now have real breathing space, enough to have a real go at a cup run.

But if our players get beyond themselves, we''ll, look at Swansea first half on Saturday.

Last season a home draw against Wigan was indicative of Norwich fans turning up and expecting an easy result. The atmosphere didn''t help the players but eventually we realised Wigan were on a run which saw them achieve fantastic results to stay up.

Wigan are more dangerous away than at home IMO. Lets go to this game as supporters set on getting behind our side for a really tough game.

I can''t look beyond the next two games because 25 points and a cup semi means we can celebrate what has been achieved then park it and go again; create our own natural break in this run then start a fresh chapter called the Christmas schedule before the next break for the FA Cup.