Sign in to follow this  
norwichtillidie

HOW LONG CAN THE TEAM "CARRY" FRANCIS?

Having watched the game last night I can now see why we have conceded so many goals this season (13 in last 5 games) The problem IS Francis''s lack of defending ability i.e not tracking back, unable to "pick-up" opposition players and basically "ball watching" and not knowing what the hell is going on around him. I am Francis''s greatest fan when we have the ball and he is driving forward, and agree he has scored some important goals for us. But defensively he gives us no protection to the "back four" He basically does not "work his socks off" for the team as most quality premiership midfielders do. If Worthy doesn''t axe him, let''s hope he scores a few more goals this season and then a London club offers us a million for him in the summer, only then will we be better equipped for next season, whichever division we are in.

Shouldn''t the question  be how long has Francis carried the team, without his goals we''d be adrift at the bottom. Perhaps you can suggest where we can get another player like him for £260,000

if you think francis was carried then your watching the wrong game.  it was holt, stuart, safri and every other inept midfield partner that francis has had to carry all season.  I hope for his sake he leave us.

If you had read my post correctly I said that there''s no problem with him going forward, it''s when we HAVEN''T got the ball that he''s a problem.

p.s and on the question of where we could find someone better for £260.000, my 15 year old son could do better than Francis defensively, and I would let him play for the club for nothing

Have to agree with you Norwich till I Die - I thought Francis last night was totally absent from the game as I have stated on another posting.  He always seems so disinterested when he loses the ball not bothering to really fight to win it back.

I have to agree at the moment. Francis isnt playing anything like he did before his cheekbone fracture and at times disappears completely out of the game.He has done it a few times recently. Yes he is still scoring important goals but he doesn''t defend well!!!

Rich, if you think Francis is head and shoulder above all other Norwich midfielders you are watching the wrong games. Last night our midfield was not too bad, in fact as a unit they matched man city. It seems some people think that if a midfielder scores a few goals he is exempt from other midfield duties. He was not in the game last night, i thought our full backs were more effective in the middle of the pitch that he was. Stuart did OK and Holt worked hard. I get the impression people are just blinded by goals, yes they do help but he didn''t score yesterday and is a midfielder, please feel free to add a true comment on his performance last night, and indeed in recent games!

I think we should maybe concentrate on fixing the defenders who can''t defend before fixing the midfielders who can''t defend, eh?

Regarding the original point, I agree he doesnt track back enough, but isnt that holts job? Holt tracks back, and Francis attacks. I know he could come back more, but then again Ive made the point that huckerby is BY FAR the laziest defensive player on our team, but I always get shot down with "Oh but hes scored so many goals", "He got us to the prem" etc etc

And Damo has been by far our best midfielder, going by the OPTA stats, and the views of the people I sit with and on radio naaarfolk.

I agree he could make a bit more of a defensive effort, but to say we are carrying him is nonsense IMO.

Scrap that idea the defence needs to do its job.  We don''t have enough height or quality to play at centre back and there is no communication in the defence about who is picking up who and when to hold the line.  We need a rock in defence who commands the back line and sorts them out.  Someone of the Dave Watson / Tony Adams variety.  That should be our first summer signing, Doherty doesn''t cut the mustard.