Sign in to follow this  
JF

Lambert reaction on Tuesday.

Hi guys. Villa fan here, looking forward to a good game on Tuesday. I''m coming down with about 3,500 other Villans.

Think Lambert will get a few boos here and there from the home fans but that''s to be expected, it''s the norm isn''t it these days, O''Neill got booed when he came back to Villa Park. You guys have had a impressive start with Chris Hughton, can''t say I''m surprised, he''s a good manager and proved this with Newcastle and even our arch rivals, Birmingham. But on the same side he''s working with many players who played together for years with Norwich and give their all for their manager, which is a must. You''ll be easily mid table and its what stability brings, a solidness about a team.

On Villa and my thoughts on Lambert so far. I think the situation is very similar to when he took over you guys. The club last season was at its lowest ebb in decades. Alex McLeish ripped the soul and passion out of every Villa supporter I know and that was shown at Carrow Road at the end of the season. There was no plan under McLeish, no future. We were toothless, couldn''t defend, couldn''t score, couldn''t win and went into every game believing we would lose. Playing with players who were past it and living off former glories. And with all due respect, that wasn''t good enough for Aston Villa. The painful thing was, us fans were being criticised for our support of the team last season but no blame was pinned on the guy who was in charge. I have to say the supporters has been the only good thing about the whole club in the past 2 years.

Anyway on Lambert, it''s a real long term rebuild he has got on his hands at Villa. In the summer he straight away determined the troublemakers and out of sort players had to go. Hutton, Warnock, Collins, Heskey & Cuellar all leaving. And the players who have come in are all young and play with no fear whatsoever. Matty Lowton at 1m, Ashley Westwood at 1m, Holman on a free, Benteke for 7m all seem really good buys. We''ve taken a while to settle down. A lot of new players and of course a new coaching team. But since we played you guys in the league we look a lot better as a unit. Not giving goals away, playing football well- something we never did last year. Lacking goals at the moment but that''s down to quality, we need some quality in midfield. Benteke up top looks a steal and is keeping Bent out the team still. It''s not been fast progress but Villa fans can see some sort of plan in place. Where they want the club to go. How they will go about doing it.

This is why Lambert will get the benefit of the doubt. Even if we went down this year, he''d keep his job, definitely. It''s gonna be a tough season with so many ups and downs for us but these young guys, if they can survive in the Prem this season and have a years experience behind them, they will be so much better for it and with some more good additions to the side, Villa will be back in a decent position again in the next few years. We''ve always been told were unrealistic but Villa fans truly understand where we are right now. Other clubs will point to Villa and say wow underachievers but from the 2010 league cup final only Brad Guzan, Gabby Agbonlahor and our stricken club captain Stan Petrov remain at the club. A huge change in under 3 years.

So you will read this in the press about Villa fans getting twitchy over Lambert but I can guarantee you it''s far from the case. Villa fans 100% behind Lambert, it''s like a breath of fresh air after last seasons disaster. I don''t think you can get a feel for how bad it got last year really.

Onto Tuesday, will be a good game. Feisty I assume. Both teams going for it. We haven''t scored many in the league but scored 10 in the League Cup already this year. Westwood is cup tied for us which is good news for you but yeah should be a good game. Had some good banter at Carrow Road in May, hope so again on Tuesday.

Think there should be no hard feelings between anyone. Lambert moved on. Villa thankfully moved on and clearly Norwich have moved on with an excellent manager at the helm again. Just a note on how the land lies at Villa Park. Good luck for rest of the season ( After Tuesday and in April/May when we meet again of course).

Nice post Randy,

Informative and fair minded, of a much better standard than that AJ twonk who used to come on here winding people up and making enemies.

It looks like Lambo is doing alright up there, not as well as I thought he would but I think he needs to win the confidence of your chairman before he can really build a team there.
Alot of people on here are changing their minds toward PL because of how well we have done under Chris Hughton and how much better we look at the back, so alot of the bitteness has evaporated somewhat.
Personally, I still don''t have alot of respect for him, for the way that he left the club and I think he undid alot of the good he did at Norwich by filing legal action against us.
I''m sure he misses the lads at the club (the ones he knows anyway) with regard to the supporters I don''t imagine he gives two figs really, he was always smart enough to know what a fickle lot football supporters are.
I think he will do a good job at Villa but you might not see the results until the start of next season, he is going to need a couple more transfer windows to really turn your club around.
I am really looking forward to Tuesday and I think our boys will be chomping at the bit to show their old boss how far they have come and I imagine Carrow Road will be rocking, could be a fantastic cup tie.

Randy, just a small point but Hughton isn''t working with players that have played for years. Half our team are Hughton signings, others have played for less than a year together, so even more credit should go to him, as he has had the same time frame to work with as Lambert (who,although taking over a dead beat side, could not have realised how bad things were for you).

It should be a cracker, as Villa, (you would have thought, but there are no guarantees with Lambert and Cup games!!) will put out a first team.

I''m just hoping that the Villa fans don''t start chanting ''Chrissy Hughton''s Claret and Blue Army''!

Yeah I didn''t mean the whole team had been there for years but there''s a group of players at Norwich who you associate with being at the club for a while. At villa, that''s difficult, not sure you have really apart from Gabby because Guzan has never been a regular til now and Stan Petrov is still unfortunately battling Leaukemia.

Think one of the posts above was correct. It will take time before we really start seeing results, consistently of Lambert''s Villa. The positive signs are there. Villa fans feel we''re getting there. Having young players fighting their every last breath for the cause is such a nice change for us at Villa. Alex McLeish said after the game at Carrow Road last season that he needed to instil a work ethic within the side. He said that Norwich fought for every last breath under Lambert and that has continued with Hughton. Unfortunately for us we''ve had prima donna footballers who have been far too comfortable until Lambert came and identified who needed to be moved on. But yeah he''ll get some funds again in January from Mr Lerner and its an ongoing project. But Villa fans are being patient because there''s a need to be. He isn''t just clearing up mess from one manager, he''s clearing it up from three....O''Neill, Houllier and McLeish. Really tough job for him but the signs are there and although we won''t pull up any trees this season, Villa fans can see a positive plan in place, unlike last season which was truly horrific. I''ve never known a football club in apathy like villa was. It''s taken some of us a while to even get the passion back. One way to rip a football fans passion out, appoint the manager who was managing your arch rivals, took them down and then plays the most negative football ever and wins 4 gams at home all season.

And nah, Chris Hughton''s claret & blue army won''t be sung this time around. I hope many of the other chants we sang end Of last season won''t be either. " We''re shit but were staying up" was just depressing for AVFC.

Looking forward to a good game. We won''t be under strength, basically because we haven''t got the squad to do it.

[quote user="randy.stand"]Yeah I didn''t mean the whole team had been there for years but there''s a group of players at Norwich who you associate with being at the club for a while. At villa, that''s difficult, not sure you have really apart from Gabby because Guzan has never been a regular til now and Stan Petrov is still unfortunately battling Leaukemia.

Think one of the posts above was correct. It will take time before we really start seeing results, consistently of Lambert''s Villa. The positive signs are there. Villa fans feel we''re getting there. Having young players fighting their every last breath for the cause is such a nice change for us at Villa. Alex McLeish said after the game at Carrow Road last season that he needed to instil a work ethic within the side. He said that Norwich fought for every last breath under Lambert and that has continued with Hughton. Unfortunately for us we''ve had prima donna footballers who have been far too comfortable until Lambert came and identified who needed to be moved on. But yeah he''ll get some funds again in January from Mr Lerner and its an ongoing project. But Villa fans are being patient because there''s a need to be. He isn''t just clearing up mess from one manager, he''s clearing it up from three....O''Neill, Houllier and McLeish. Really tough job for him but the signs are there and although we won''t pull up any trees this season, Villa fans can see a positive plan in place, unlike last season which was truly horrific. I''ve never known a football club in apathy like villa was. It''s taken some of us a while to even get the passion back. One way to rip a football fans passion out, appoint the manager who was managing your arch rivals, took them down and then plays the most negative football ever and wins 4 gams at home all season.

And nah, Chris Hughton''s claret & blue army won''t be sung this time around. I hope many of the other chants we sang end Of last season won''t be either. " We''re shit but were staying up" was just depressing for AVFC.

Looking forward to a good game. We won''t be under strength, basically because we haven''t got the squad to do it.[/quote]Just one question..If THE VILLAAAAAAA (as your moronic fans like to say) are so massive then why did your MASSIVE club send back a lot  of tickets?

Ground is likely to have a fair amount of plastics at the game so will be interesting to see the reaction. I expect a mixture of claps, boo''s and no reaction altogether

[quote user="Mike hunt"]Ground is likely to have a fair amount of plastics at the game so will be interesting to see the reaction. I expect a mixture of claps, boo''s and no reaction altogether[/quote]The plural of boo is boos, not boo''s.

The past is the past. We thanked Lambert on the last day of the season for the work he did for us. He moved on and so have we.On Tuesday it''s a game a football that isn''t as important for either club compared to success in the Premier League.  I always want us to win. But if you offered me a win and three points against Wigan at the weekend over a cup match win, I''d take it.

[quote user="K Lo"][quote user="Mike hunt"]Ground is likely to have a fair amount of plastics at the game so will be interesting to see the reaction. I expect a mixture of claps, boo''s and no reaction altogether[/quote]The plural of boo is boos, not boo''s.[/quote].......i would much rather it was "booze". that is a great plural.

[quote user="K Lo"][quote user="Mike hunt"]Ground is likely to have a fair amount of plastics at the game so will be interesting to see the reaction. I expect a mixture of claps, boo''s and no reaction altogether[/quote]

The plural of boo is boos, not boo''s.
[/quote]

Very good Mr Plastic

[quote user="GMF"]I won''t boo and I certainly won''t clap him. I respect his achievements whilst here, probably the best 3 years in my 30 plus years of supporting City. However, he moved on, his choice, and so have I. Dignified silence will do for me.[/quote]

Pretty much this..

All about CH and the win. At the moment it is a case of ''the grass isn''t always greener'' and I hope it stays that way

[quote user="Mike hunt"]

[quote user="K Lo"][quote user="Mike hunt"]Ground is likely to have a fair amount of plastics at the game so will be interesting to see the reaction. I expect a mixture of claps, boo''s and no reaction altogether[/quote]The plural of boo is boos, not boo''s.[/quote]

Very good Mr Plastic

[/quote]you really are a pathetic little man.

A couple of really decent posts on here from the Villa fan and then a load of utter nonsense from our lot, I despair...

I have to say that I think Lambert has a massive job on his hands to rebuild Villa. It''s going to take more than a couple of transfer windows IMO to restore them to former glories. It doesn''t look to me as though Lerner is going to fund big signings and so I wonder how, with the type of signings that Lambert is making (ie predominantly Championship/lower leagues etc) that Villa will ever find themselves back among the european contenders. Mid-table obscurity I think he can achieve, but don''t Villa fans want more than that or is it a case of having to walk again before you can run?

I assume Paul Lambert will not be formally introduced by the stadium announcer for there to be any reaction to. The question is largely irrelevant being asked by the main site.

Any reaction to Lambert will be dictated by the game. The biggest story on the night is the fact we have a big chance of a cup semi-final which is a stage we seldom reach; so the crowd interest is for their own players and manager.

I think Villa will survive this season. Again, the biggest surprise is Lambert wanting to compete in a cup competition when he has more pressing league concerns.

As I have said elsewhere, we have done the hard graft to salvage our season, the next two games are to reward that hard graft. This has to be enough for any Norwich supporter to solely focus on.

Why is calling us The Villa moronic? Don''t get that.

Nice of you to go totally off topic but its 2 weeks before Xmas, attendances are down all over the country, it was £30 and we have sold 3,400 out of 4,000. Your making out like we are bringing 500. Also not particularly a easy and quick drive from Birmingham to Norwich. Moron. I''ll be there but spose that don''t matter does it? Not sure where I said we are a massive club either.

Before you start criticising our away following, we took 4,500 to Swindon in the last round on a Tuesday night.

You come on here looking for a friendly conversation with like minded opposition supporters, not once have I dissed Norwich, in fact praised them & then you get that.

Just ignore it Randy, it was uncalled for and I think most of the responses to your posts have been pretty reasonable.

3,500 Villa fans midweek is a very solid turnout. The ground is going to be absolutely rammed, it feels like the best cup tie that NCFC have had for many a year.

Really looking forward to it.