Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Team for Villa - minus Whittaker, Tettey, Wes

---------------------  Bunn  ------------------------
R. Martin -- Turner  --  Bassong  --  Garrido
E. Bennett - Johnson - Howson - Pilkington
------------ Jackson  ------  Holt -----------------
I''d go with this. Only reason I chose Bennett over Snoddy was that I thought Bennett had a good game against Villa at their place up until he was taken off....
I tried to use our current 4-4-1-1 type formation, but I can''t get my head around it without Wes/Tettey. Unless we put Snodgrass in the Wes role, and Howson in the Tettey role again.

FOX, please play Fox!!!!!

Bunn

RMartin, Turner, Bassong, Tierny
            Fox    BJ
   Bennet            Pilks
            Howson
            IFLGH

Christ, I forgot all about fox :-/
He solves all my problems. I''ll go with you then, except I''d have Garrido in for Tierney

OP, Surman''s injured isnt he?

other than that just play the strongest team possible using the tried formation over the last 10 games?

Bunn

Martin Turner Bassong  Garrido

Snodgrass Fox Johnson Pilkington

Howson

Holt

Rudd,Tierney,Barnett,Bennett.E,Morison,Jackson & one other Francomb/Murphy?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

other than that just play the strongest team possible using the tried formation over the last 10 games?

Bunn

Howson

Holt

[/quote]

Only change I would make is to put Rudd in goal - make Bunn sit up and take notice that he HAS to COMMAND the goal area!

I''m worried that we''re going to make more changes than this, and it''s worrying because I think we need damned near our best team to win this game - you can bet Villa will be virtually full strength.

We need to play: Bunn, Russell M, Bassong, Turner, Garrido, Snod, Howson, Johnson, Pilks, Holt, Jackson

I suspect we may play something like: Bunn, Russell, Bassong, Barnett, Tierney, E Bennett, Howson, Fox, Pilks, Morison, Jackson.

Still a good side and with the Horse on the bench I suspect, but it will make it tougher for us...

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Bunn

Howson

Holt

[/quote]

Only change I would make is to put Rudd in goal - make Bunn sit up and take notice that he HAS to COMMAND the goal area!

[/quote]

Unless he grows 4 inches in height overnight I can''t see how that can happen?

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]

I''m worried that we''re going to make more changes than this, and it''s worrying because I think we need damned near our best team to win this game - you can bet Villa will be virtually full strength.

We need to play: Bunn, Russell M, Bassong, Turner, Garrido, Snod, Howson, Johnson, Pilks, Holt, Jackson

I suspect we may play something like: Bunn, Russell, Bassong, Barnett, Tierney, E Bennett, Howson, Fox, Pilks, Morison, Jackson.

Still a good side and with the Horse on the bench I suspect, but it will make it tougher for us...

[/quote]

Do you really think AV will be at full strength? Based on "The Obsessive One''s" disregard for a cup run last season, I wouldn''t be surprised if he comes up with his 2nd string team. His priority is "The Obsessive One''s" CV - if he gets AV relegated, that will spell the end to his claim for one of the top jobs. I don''t think he can afford to let this run go any further - a draw and therefore replay, would provide an unwelcome outcome. A win means going to a 2-legged semi-final, and being on the cusp of the relegation zone, with their next 3 league matches against Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs, I don''t think he has the appetite for this one.

You don''t get replays in the League Cup. Unless the rules change for the QF.

And Lambert might not be the one making the decision. If say the American owner wanted a nice little trophy to show his friends back home then maybe Lambert is under orders to give it his best shot, that doesn''t mean playing the strongest starting eleven necessarily, but whoever is playing might just be a bit more willing to take the risks and put that extra effort in that we often lacked in the cup under his reign.

Correct GJL, Surman injured, my bad. Pilks it is then.

87 - we played 4-4-1-1 at Swansea. We didn''t use the deep lying defensive pair as far as i could see but had Howson and BJ as a traditional central pairing in a flat four. This helped us to keep a high line on them rather than stand off them as we have preferred to do up to know and against the big sides.

As we''re at home and with the crowd roaring us on, I think we should continue in that vain. Then it''s a question of whether we go with a traditional two strikers GH and SJ or GH with one off - Howson in this case. I don''t mind Howson being there with Fox in the role Howson occupied at Swansea, or Howson staying where he was and Simeon playing up with GH.

Either way, i''m genuinely excited by the shuffling of our talented pack that Tuesday will inevitably bring. When have we ever had all these options that all seem almost as strong as each other!? Even with the injuries. (Could do with Tettey and Ruddy back mind)

[quote user="Canary Lad"]You don''t get replays in the League Cup. Unless the rules change for the QF. And Lambert might not be the one making the decision. If say the American owner wanted a nice little trophy to show his friends back home then maybe Lambert is under orders to give it his best shot, that doesn''t mean playing the strongest starting eleven necessarily, but whoever is playing might just be a bit more willing to take the risks and put that extra effort in that we often lacked in the cup under his reign.[/quote]

Hi CL - you may be right - there are betting odds for the draw - but this may relate to 90 mins.

Despite what the American owner wants, based upon his recent cost cutting exercise, his priority will be to stay in the PL with the new money coming to it. In fact, that could even be the "orders" given to "The Obsessive One"

ABC - I fully expect Lambo to play a virtual full strength side. If he didn''t have the appetite he would have weakened the team for the last round when they took their first team to Swindon. This was their team for that game:

Aston Villa

• 01 Given
  • 04 Vlaar
  • 30 Lichaj
  • 31 Herd (Stevens - 30'' )
  • 34 Lowton
  • 07 Ireland (Bent - 83'' )
  • 08 El Ahmadi
  • 25 Bannan (Delph - 82'' )
  • 26 Weimann
  • 11 Agbonlahor
  • 20 Benteke

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Bunn

Howson

Holt

[/quote]

This would be my pick.Although we sure Wes being injured isnt smoke and mirrors ?

An interesting one this - so far we have generally made at least 10 changes in this competition. We have half a dozen players out - Ruddy, Whittaker, Bennett, Hoolahan, Surman and Tettey which obviously restricts the number of changes we can make. We also have a spell of 4 league games in 10 days coming up over Christmas. Lot of things to factor in when looking at our team for tomorrow. Almost impossible to gauge what either team will be. Villa have tended to field a "half and half" team with generally half the team consisting of current first 11 players. Both teams will have similar considerations - do we want to risk a Bassong or Holt getting a serious injury and being out for months? Likewise will they risk Benteke?

I think we will go;

Rudd, Martin, Tierney, Barnett, Turner, Johnson, Fox, Bennett, Pilks, Howson, Morison

Keep Holt and Snodgrass on the bench just in case. Bassong has been limping at the end of the odd game recently and I think we will go with one of Bassong or Turner but not both. The keeper is also an interesting one as he might want to give Bunn more game time but equally it is chance to give Rudd some experience as he might be needed (will also hopefully show Bunn he is not a shoe in until Ruddy is fit again).

Can''t see this being the time to take out Bunn. Everyone wants to win this game and for more than one reason. It will be very risky to put in an unused (I know he''s played u21 etc) but against the like of benteke and bent I think Bunn may be our best option.

But this is the first home game since my return to the UK and I''m just excited to go see the game regardless of who we field.

Although I badly want us to win this match, there are other considerations.    We have to look after the fitness of players - and if there are any slight doubts or knocks that need time to heal - then we should leave them out tomorrow - even if they could play despite their knocks.  The league is still the most important thing.

I would like to see the second string start the match and have a strong bench.  They have to be involved this season - and should be good enough to win the match.   After all, the second string is pretty much the first team from last season.Would be happy to see:

BunnMartin  Bennett Barnett  Tierney Bennett Fox Howson  Surman         Jackson  MorisonBench:  Holt, Snodgrass, Pilkington, Hoolahan (if fit) Johnson.Give the other key players a rest and trust the guys to do the job. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]Although I badly want us to win this match, there are other considerations.    We have to look after the fitness of players - and if there are any slight doubts or knocks that need time to heal - then we should leave them out tomorrow - even if they could play despite their knocks.  The league is still the most important thing.

I would like to see the second string start the match and have a strong bench.  They have to be involved this season - and should be good enough to win the match.   After all, the second string is pretty much the first team from last season.

Would be happy to see:

Bunn

Martin  Bennett Barnett  Tierney

Bennett Fox Howson  Surman

Jackson  Morison

Bench:  Holt, Snodgrass, Pilkington, Hoolahan (if fit) Johnson.

Give the other key players a rest and trust the guys to do the job. 

[/quote]

I think Ryan Bennett is out again tomorrow. If he is available then I agree he is a certain starter.

I am relaxed about pretty much whatever we put out EXCEPT a centre back pairing that doesn''t feature Bassong.

Barnett and Bennett does not fill me with confidence. Bennett has done great but he needs a calm and experienced head alongside him. Barnett let his marker go to score within a few seconds of coming on at Swansea - does not fill me with confidence!

Bunn

Martin Turner Barnett Tierney

E.bennet Johnson Fox Pilkington

Howson

Holt

I would agree that a Bennett Barnett partnership at the back would make me feel uneasy. If Bennett plays it must be with Bassong or the experienced Turner.

Also, a great many people firstly thought we did not need keeper cover but then realised that should Ruddy be injured and we are left with Rudd and Steer, regardless of the potential the two have, it could leave us short in a very important position. That has now changed as Ruddy IS injured and as such would we be happy to only have Rudd and Steer if Bunn gets injured?

We''ve learned once, let''s learn again and play Rudd.

I would not change the system so it would be 4 4 1 1 with many combinations of Howson/Snodgrass or Holt/Morrison but definitely not starting Jackson as the system would not suit his play. If Snodgrass plays behind Morrison or Holt that would allow Elliot Bennett to come in on the right, if Howson plays there then Fox comes in the middle of midfield.

Rudd

R. Martin Turner Barnett Tierney

E.Bennet Tettey Fox Pilkington

Howson

Morison

I suspect Tettey is not injured but just very tired and was rested just for last Saturday (and probably will be again this Saturday).

Tettey and Pilkington aside, the rest of the above need game time, and in Hughton''s preferred formation. Still a pretty strong side.

Tettey has groin injury according to CH and Bennett a ''knock''. Whittaker hip injury and Wes groin injury. I fear Fox would be bypassed completely with his lack of match fitness (not his fault). I''d potentially start with Fox sitting and then move Howson there when he tires and switch 4-4-2 if we need to or stick with 4-5-1 and have Benno/Snoddy behind striker and a Murphy boy on the wing! (or split Snoddy and Benno in those positions)

@ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Dear lord, please no!!

I''m coming all the way from Nottingham and I want to see a good game, not a repeat of Leicester last year with Captain Flappy in goal...

Bunn needs to play, the more experience he gets the better.

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]

ABC - I fully expect Lambo to play a virtual full strength side. If he didn''t have the appetite he would have weakened the team for the last round when they took their first team to Swindon. This was their team for that game:

Aston Villa

• 01 Given
  • 04 Vlaar
  • 30 Lichaj
  • 31 Herd (Stevens - 30'' )
  • 34 Lowton
  • 07 Ireland (Bent - 83'' )
  • 08 El Ahmadi
  • 25 Bannan (Delph - 82'' )
  • 26 Weimann
  • 11 Agbonlahor
  • 20 Benteke
[/quote]Excellent point Beefy. Lambert will definitely want to win this not only for himself, but for the moral of Villa. This isn''t an ''ok if we lose'' game. It''s a biggie. Saying that I''d rather not see our three key players; Bassong, Tettey and Holt start and risk injury, this is still the least important competition. So I''d plump for:-----------------Bunn---------------Whittaker--Turner--Martin--Garrido------------Johnson--Fox-----------Snodgrass-----------------Pilkington----------------Hoolahan-----------------------------Morison--------------If Morro looks poor after 60 minutes bring on Holty to wreak havoc. Maybe Howson to replace Fox on 60 too and change to a more attacking formation. Bunn has to start to get his game time up, I believe a keeper needs a consistent run to get up to speed. Putting Rudd in would be counter productive. E Bennett too to come on maybe 75 and mix things up.I see nobody is selecting Whittaker, is there something I don''t know? You can''t leave him out after Sat. Is he injured?

I remember last season we started a cup game in the new year and made wholesale changes. We lost the game and then went on a disappointing run of poor results. The question is wether we stick with a team that has momentum, win the game and push on - or change the dynamic of the team by fielding a much weakened side, losing and then it having a negative effect on our momentum...