Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Shackell should stay in the team for Saturday

On his performance tonight I think Shackell deserves another start on Saturday against Chelsea.  All those doubters who argued about throwing him into the relegation scrap because of his age and experience, must surely agree he was our best defender tonight by a mile.

Oh yes, because he was a big help for their second goal.

He did ok, but it is depressing that after a bad game like this, and with a bad mistake as well, we still think he should be in the team for Saturday.

Sorry for this depressing reply, but today I am just not happy.  

[quote]On his performance tonight I think Shackell deserves another start on Saturday against Chelsea. All those doubters who argued about throwing him into the relegation scrap because of his age and exper...[/quote]

This is a wind up, yes? Its got to be...100% at fault for the second goal, was ran ragged by Robbie Fowler, inexperience showed up completely. I feel totally vindicated that it was not right to throw him in, I actually think if the Doc would have played we may have sneaked a result.Before everyone gets on the "lets slate Worthy Nige" bandwagon, because I''ve voiced an opinion about a youth player that is not complimentary, I want to get this straight: I RATE SHACKELL VERY HIGHLY, I just feel that he should not have been brought in until the start of next season.

[quote]On his performance tonight I think Shackell deserves another start on Saturday against Chelsea. All those doubters who argued about throwing him into the relegation scrap because of his age and exper...[/quote]

Sorry man you know my English was absolutely poor but I still hope to point our why Shack-Flem combination on central of defence was better than Doh-Flem combination.

What I saw yesterday on EPL channel was when MC striker had the ball, it was Shack always will come out of his position, to make the tackle first (mostly to Fowler), it was which I did not always saw Doherty will have the "dynamic" to do it before; usually MC was hitting long ball from the back and liked what Dunne and Distin did for MC, they can clear the lines as Shack can do the same, although Shack had miss some headers to be honest.

Hope you understand what I mean, Shackell and Fleming on this Saturday!!!

The second goal was an excellent piece of movement from SWP who was not tracked by either the left back or left midfielder.  his run behind Shacks was expertly timed and just about any defender would have struggled with it. 

That movement was the one moment of true class from Citeh as an attacking force - yet we let SWP move across the line unmarked or tracked by our midfield.

More at fault than Shacks for that goal was (and I promised myself that I would not do this) was Flem and/or Drury who failed to cover Shacks man (fowler) when shacks chased (as he had to) SWP - Fowler was totally unmarked in the centre and effectively had a tap in.

In the game generally Growlers movement was good but Shackell did well overall and outplayed his central defensive partner.

OTBC 

I agree that shackell should play the next match, yes he wasn''t superb but then again i think that last night the only player that was superb was Ashton. Shackell did well and don''tforget its only his first start in the prem so he''s very inexperienced, he can really do well for us once he gets to grips with the demands of top flight football. I think Flem should be dropped and the doc should come in to form a partnership with Shacks as i think this will pro be the most likely partnership next season and for prob beyond that.

One player who seems to have escaped criticism is Graham Stuart, who for me was one of, if not the worst player on the pitch. His passing was poor, often went walkabouts leaving the right hand side exposed and the only decent thing i remember him doing was getting a good cross in after good link up play with Deano in the first half. Along with Jonson these 2 offered little to our midfield and didn''t play wide enough with not enough crosses being played in. Even Ashton was havig to drift out to give a bit of width.

[quote]This is a wind up, yes? Its got to be...100% at fault for the second goal, was ran ragged by Robbie Fowler, inexperience showed up completely. I feel totally vindicated that it was not right to thro...[/quote]

Dear Worthy Nigelton you never cease to amaze me when it comes to Jason Shackell.  No way was he at fault for the second goal, and if you watch any of the replays you will see that he had no option but to try and get in front of SWP, as his fellow defenders were nowhere to be seen.

Do you honestly believe that Shackell did not add something to our defence last night?

It seems strange that the majority of posters seem to feel he had a good game and should play on Saturday, but true to form you believe he should be dropped.  Quite frankly I don''t believe you could recognise a good defender if he jumped out in front of you, and to say you rate Shackell highly but wouldn''t play him till next season is sheer stupidity. 

We need our better players in the final 10 matches if we are to have a chance to stay up, and apart from yourself, everyone else seems to think Shackell is one of those better players.  As I left the ground last night a high percentage of supporters were asking why hadn''t Worthy played Shackell in earlier games. 

It is amazing how often I hear supporters having rather odd views on a player. Last night for example, I heard some stupid woman saying we should drop Ashton becuase he didn''t head the ball often enough!! I like most of my fellow yellows around me were very impressed with how Shacks coped with his first Premiership appearance and how much better he was than Fleming who was yet again well off the pace. Sadly it seems yet again there are people who are going to have a go at a player after one game, and for something that wasn''t entirely his fault. Come on folks, just think about the whole team and how they played together and in the case of the second Man City goal, like others have said, it was Fleming and Drury who were more at fault than Shacks. Another thing was I was also listening to old Roy on me earpiece during the game and the number of times I heard, "headed away by Shackell" was far greater than any other defender.

So, despite my rather long reply, YES Shackell should start saturday and well beyond that!

Worthy Nigelton.

Are you serious about Shackell??

If you are really Worthy in disguise, then that would explain an awful lot of things.

OTBC