Sign in to follow this  
Splendid Rush

2nd Teams

I''m just wondering if any of you have 2nd teams, or other teams whose results you follow and why.

I don''t have any one particular team that I care greatly for, but I keep out for the following results:

Cambridge: My dad used to take me to their games in the early 90s when Norwich were away.

AFC Wimbledon: Used to play for them

Newcastle: Dad''s family support them

Hull: Mum''s family from up that way and bought me shirts as a kid.

Arsenal, Charleston Battery ( USA )and whoever I am playing as of Footy Manager so atm, Guiseley.Soft spot for Exeter, Aldershot and Salisbury Town also.

Birmingham city, as I played in goal for the BCFC school boys under 16s, almost signed a pro contract for the team up the road from them, but joined the Army instead not much of a difference is there .  

Arsenal, they were actually the team i supported (my dads team) for the first 9 years of my life until I got a season ticket at Norwich and i''ve been hooked ever since i first walked over the steps and saw the stadium for the first time, I think we beat Grimsby 4 nil as well which helped :P . I still follow them and hope they do well but they''re a VERY distant second team nowdays!

[quote user="gorlestongirl"]Lowestoft Town and Darlington.[/quote]

Why: because I went to my first ever games at Lowestoft with my mum, and lived near Darlo for many years and took my children to their first games there.

You can''t really have a second team in the Prem when we''re in it too but if we weren''t it would be Everton. A real team who have achieved what they have with no benefactor, with a smattering of youth, some very shrewd signings and a good mix of home grown and overseas players that keeps the clubs spirit and soul alive. Unlike Man City - the soul of that club is gone, sold to outside interests with no stake in the club''s history and traditions.

Everton are what we should aspire to as our next step.

Also, the way the club responded to the Hillsborough Report was absolutely first class. They stood tall, shoulder to shoulder alongside Liverpool in the wake of that report and David Moyes made a very powerful statement in support. I love the fact that those scousers put their city first - even though there is a fierce rivalry, red or blue, above all they know they are Liverpool. You can''t say that about Manchester.

I have never understood the concept of second teams, it dilutes your support. Apart from Norwich City I divide all other teams into two categories: those I couldn''t give a monkeys chuff about their existence and those I actively hate. Once I have found a reason to hate a team they can never be reprieved. Everton? Got us relegated by fielding a weakened team when we got relegated by cheating Coventry playing 5 games after the end of the season.

The second result I look out for is Ipswich........... but only to see if they lost.

Other than that maybe Leeds to see how the next crop of young players are being developed by our feeder club.

Your response says everything we expect from you Mungo.

While others consider positives associations with other clubs that might earn our respect or "2nd team" status, you can only look for reasons to hate. Every club has its rivals and enemies for various reasons and we could list them all day long, but the OP didn''t ask which club you hate.

Celtic - always prefered them over the HunsDerby county - Liked them since Brian Clough was managerStoke ( [:$] ) - My dad supports ''em

But I don''t "support" any of them teams. I just follow how they are doing and for happy for them if they''re doing well. [H]

I quite like Crystal Palace as I used to live in the area and see them a fair bit, so I''ll always giive them a check to see how they got on.

Brentford, my father comes from there originally and my grandfather was a fan. My granmother was born and bred in Naaarrwich...

I follow the Bees a bit and they''re doing well too...

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]I have never understood the concept of second teams, it dilutes your support. Apart from Norwich City I divide all other teams into two categories: those I couldn''t give a monkeys chuff about their existence and those I actively hate. Once I have found a reason to hate a team they can never be reprieved. Everton? Got us relegated by fielding a weakened team when we got relegated by cheating Coventry playing 5 games after the end of the season.[/quote]

Another intelligent post by Mungo... you wouldn’t be in my pub quiz team!!

Dad was in the Army and we used to live in North Yorkshire, so I spent my early yrs (5,6 yrs old) watching Middlesbrough at Ayresome park. His regiment had close ties with the club...

I always look out for their results, and went down to watch them play Pisswich a couple of Tuesdays back. However, if we win tonight, I hope we get Boro in the next round and stuff them!

There are a bunch of other teams I like and really dislike but I definitley don''t have a second team. All the people I know who have a ''second team'' were little glory hunters when we were at school.
One of the most vocal Norwich fans I know of used to run around my school in a Manchester United shirt laughing at how crap we were.
It makes my blood boil sometimes when I think about the stick I used to get at school from the plastics who now post "CITYTILIDIE" on their facebook.
They are usually the first to complain when things go wrong aswell.

[quote user="Koreacanary"]There are a bunch of other teams I like and really dislike but I definitley don''t have a second team. All the people I know who have a ''second team'' were little glory hunters when we were at school.
One of the most vocal Norwich fans I know of used to run around my school in a Manchester United shirt laughing at how crap we were.
It makes my blood boil sometimes when I think about the stick I used to get at school from the plastics who now post "CITYTILIDIE" on their facebook.
They are usually the first to complain when things go wrong aswell.[/quote]

2nd teams is probably not the best way to put it. I think most responding on here are just talking about the other teams they like and respect but wouldn''t say they are "second teams" especially.

I don''t support them but I check for Rotherham United''s result. It''s where my girlfriend''s from and her dad does a bit coaching for the youth team so it''s nice to keep an eye out.

Also as of last season I started " supporting " or just having a certain fondness for Levante in La liga after their amazing season last year of getting into a Europe and even being in 1st place for a little bit despite being tipped for relegation by many

Ebbsfleet United - was a joint owner at one time with 30,000 others and go and see them play when I can (usually once a season at Cambridge Utd since Histon got relegated!!!)

Also have a softy spot for Guernsey FC and AFC Wimbledon

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

Ebbsfleet United - was a joint owner at one time with 30,000 others and go and see them play when I can (usually once a season at Cambridge Utd since Histon got relegated!!!)

Also have a softy spot for Guernsey FC and AFC Wimbledon

[/quote]AFC Wimbledon is an interesting one. I have been looking for their results since they were formed and have really enjoyed seeing them rise through the leagues. I was gutted to see Semi score a flukey winner for MK Franchise the other week. But then again a lot of AFC fans still seem bitter and boycotted the game which I found confusing, I''d have thought they''d all do everything they can to support them on the day and help them win, but hey, each to their own.Another team I''ll always watch is Barcelona because they are so damn good, and I love that we are currently seeing Messi, a contender for best ever player, in his prime. I even went to watch them once, on a whim, at Camp Nou. Awesome. Does that make me a plastic Barcelona supporter, or just a general football fan?